If you were mid-flight @ 25K feet...and someone pulled out a "clock" like Ahmeds...would you worry?

What do you do when you see this??

• Notify a flight attendant; It looks suspicious.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Confront him. He's not blowing this plane up.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Nothing. It's obviously him just checking the time on his clock.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Nothing. I'd rather go down in a fiery crash than to profile someone.

• *I'd have to check the person's race and ethnicity to see if it's OK to question their actions.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's say you are on a flight from LA to NYC. Halfway there at 25,000 feet....you see a male passenger, possibly foreign, pull out a metallic box...open it...and it looks like what Ahmeds "clock" in Texas looked like. Somehow TSA missed it. Or maybe not. You aren't sure. Everyone else is asleep. Only you see it.

What do you do?

Obviously ---- find a way to get on the internets so I can check in with USMB to find out what kind of paranoia that I never would have thought of is appropriate.

Then I'd run up and down the aisle going
hair-fire.gif

A clock-bomb huh? What are you, from the Fifties?
Strange how his mind works

Let's say you are on a flight from LA to NYC. Halfway there at 25,000 feet....you see a male passenger, possibly foreign, pull out a metallic box...open it...and it looks like what Ahmeds "clock" in Texas looked like. Somehow TSA missed it. Or maybe not. You aren't sure. Everyone else is asleep. Only you see it.

What do you do?

Under current circumstances, I'd likely knock him out without questions and take the box, and notify the attendants.

Some would agree. Why? Based on the look of the device?

Precisely.

What do you do?
You would be here the next day defending him being gunned down by the air marshall even with the camera footage of him smiling and not trying to hide anything.

So which one would you do??
Since he's a little kid, and it's a clock, I would go back to sleep after I heard him say that it's a clock to the fat, old, terrified conservative.

I never said he was a little kid.

And if you're referring to Ahmed....he's not in diapers ya know. A teenager is not a "little kid", like he's on a tricycle playing SpongeBob or something.
Highschool freshmen are little idiots. If you're afraid of them you have a problem.

What do you do?

Under current circumstances, I'd likely knock him out without questions and take the box, and notify the attendants.
And then pay up a huge sum of money to the family for knocking their child unconscious and hopefully spend a little time in jail.

I would probably report the suspicious device....just like the teacher did

I would then expect the suspect to be questioned about what the device was and why he brought it on the plane. If it was a 14 year old and he explained it was a clock and part of a school engineering class, I would contact his parents and have a knowledgeable person examine the device before I handcuffed him and took him to jail

Ooh, that's a good'n.

OK I'd use the phone in the seat to call the Irving Police and have them fly alongside the plane so they could board and interrogate the kid and try to get him to say "clock = bomb". And if he won't do it we wrap a towel around his head and chuck him out over the desert.

Irving Police did not seem concerned enough to evacuate the school or call in a bomb sniffing dog

They couldn't have been that concerned that it was an actual bomb

What do you do?
You would be here the next day defending him being gunned down by the air marshall even with the camera footage of him smiling and not trying to hide anything.

Since he's a little kid, and it's a clock, I would go back to sleep after I heard him say that it's a clock to the fat, old, terrified conservative.

And if you're referring to Ahmed....he's not in diapers ya know. A teenager is not a "little kid", like he's on a tricycle playing SpongeBob or something.
Highschool freshmen are little idiots. If you're afraid of them you have a problem.

I agree. High school freshmen ARE idiots. They do dumb shit often.....like pranks. Hmmm.

What do you do?

And then pay up a huge sum of money to the family for knocking their child unconscious and hopefully spend a little time in jail.

No one said anything about a child. You have inserted that in a vain attempt to support your weak position.

If it was a bomb, my actions would be correct. If not, what the hell, that's what lawyers are for.:laugh:

I agree. High school freshmen ARE idiots. They do dumb shit often.....like pranks. Hmmm.
Yeah. Or build a freaking clock, you terrified old pussy.

I suspect you won't be saying that once you get into high school, Junior. :nono:

I would then expect the suspect to be questioned about what the device was and why he brought it on the plane. If it was a 14 year old and he explained it was a clock and part of a school engineering class, I would contact his parents and have a knowledgeable person examine the device before I handcuffed him and took him to jail

Ooh, that's a good'n.

OK I'd use the phone in the seat to call the Irving Police and have them fly alongside the plane so they could board and interrogate the kid and try to get him to say "clock = bomb". And if he won't do it we wrap a towel around his head and chuck him out over the desert.

Irving Police did not seem concerned enough to evacuate the school or call in a bomb sniffing dog

Nope. They were concerned however with whether or not it was an intentional prank. Which is illegal under Texas law.

By the way....by CALEA national standards of best practice for police agencies....bomb evacuations are only mandated by police when it's CONFIRMED to be a real bomb. Up to that point...the standard is that it's optional....and up to the person in charge of the school or business....not the cops. Irving PD never had the authority to force an evacuation. School did....not PD.

Gutting a functional clock and shoving it's guts into a metallic case isn't "building" anything.

So I assume your answer on the plane is to ignore it and go to sleep?

Ooh, that's a good'n.

Nope. They were concerned however with whether or not it was an intentional prank. Which is illegal under Texas law.

By the way....by CALEA national standards of best practice for police agencies....bomb evacuations are only mandated by police when it's CONFIRMED to be a real bomb. Up to that point...the standard is that it's optional....and up to the person in charge of the school or business....not the cops. Irving PD never had the authority to force an evacuation. School did....not PD.

The school didn't do it either. Which means EVERYBODY knew there was no bomb.
Yet --- they went on with the ruse as if it was. Aye, there's the rub.

What do you do?

Obviously ---- find a way to get on the internets so I can check in with USMB to find out what kind of paranoia that I never would have thought of is appropriate.

Then I'd run up and down the aisle going
hair-fire.gif

A clock-bomb huh? What are you, from the Fifties?
Strange how his mind works

I think that because of the heightened state of airline travel probably not allowing this onto a plane. So obviously if something has a problem getting on a plane that means its a bomb.

Its a clock as long as TSA doesnt see it...but once they do, it morphs into a bomb because.....fear

Gutting a functional clock and shoving it's guts into a metallic case isn't "building" anything.

So I assume your answer on the plane is to ignore it and go to sleep?
Sorry it's not as fun as "knock the brown person unconcious and take the clock" like Billy's solution.

Ooh, that's a good'n.

The school didn't do it either. Which means EVERYBODY knew there was no bomb.
Yet --- they went on with the ruse as if it was. Aye, there's the rub.

I don't dispute that they quickly figured out it wasn't a live bomb.

But was it a prank or hoax? Not as easy to determine. This forum is split on that....so obviously there is a question of whether it was an intentional prank or not.

So....on the plane in the scenario I posted....what do you do?

What do you do?

No one said anything about a child. You have inserted that in a vain attempt to support your weak position.

If it was a bomb, my actions would be correct. If not, what the hell, that's what lawyers are for.:laugh:
Don't play dumb everyone knows exactly what Bucs is talking about.

Ooh, that's a good'n.

If they were concerned it was a prank, they would need evidence that he tried to represent it as a bomb. That is an intentional prank

There was evidence that he represented it as a clock to his engineering teacher and anyone else who would listen

What do you do?

Don't play dumb everyone knows exactly what Bucs is talking about.

Translation: Dont answer Bucs question....it makes the lefts position a little hard to justify.

Forum List

Back