If you were mid-flight @ 25K feet...and someone pulled out a "clock" like Ahmeds...would you worry?

What do you do when you see this??

• Notify a flight attendant; It looks suspicious.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Confront him. He's not blowing this plane up.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Nothing. It's obviously him just checking the time on his clock.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Nothing. I'd rather go down in a fiery crash than to profile someone.

• *I'd have to check the person's race and ethnicity to see if it's OK to question their actions.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's say you are on a flight from LA to NYC. Halfway there at 25,000 feet....you see a male passenger, possibly foreign, pull out a metallic box...open it...and it looks like what Ahmeds "clock" in Texas looked like. Somehow TSA missed it. Or maybe not. You aren't sure. Everyone else is asleep. Only you see it.

What do you do?

Under current circumstances, I'd likely knock him out without questions and take the box, and notify the attendants.
And then pay up a huge sum of money to the family for knocking their child unconscious and hopefully spend a little time in jail.

No one said anything about a child. You have inserted that in a vain attempt to support your weak position.

If it was a bomb, my actions would be correct. If not, what the hell, that's what lawyers are for.:laugh:
Don't play dumb everyone knows exactly what Bucs is talking about.

Translation: Dont answer Bucs question....it makes the lefts position a little hard to justify.
I answered your question you dope.

I never said he was a little kid.

And if you're referring to Ahmed....he's not in diapers ya know. A teenager is not a "little kid", like he's on a tricycle playing SpongeBob or something.
Highschool freshmen are little idiots. If you're afraid of them you have a problem.

I agree. High school freshmen ARE idiots. They do dumb shit often.....like pranks. Hmmm.
Yeah. Or build a freaking clock, you terrified old pussy.

Gutting a functional clock and shoving it's guts into a metallic case isn't "building" anything.

So I assume your answer on the plane is to ignore it and go to sleep?
Sorry it's not as fun as "knock the brown person unconcious and take the clock" like Billy's solution.

You see its a clock an since a clock is used in a bomb then they believe it could be a bomb despite no bomb being there. Sorta like a clock could be a robot, a computer, a timepiece, microwave etc.....that means all of them are potential bombs :redface:

Under current circumstances, I'd likely knock him out without questions and take the box, and notify the attendants.
And then pay up a huge sum of money to the family for knocking their child unconscious and hopefully spend a little time in jail.

No one said anything about a child. You have inserted that in a vain attempt to support your weak position.

If it was a bomb, my actions would be correct. If not, what the hell, that's what lawyers are for.:laugh:

Translation: Dont answer Bucs question....it makes the lefts position a little hard to justify.
I answered your question you dope.

God forbid any other them look at a motherboard. They would think its the Matrix lol

Let's say you are on a flight from LA to NYC. Halfway there at 25,000 feet....you see a male passenger, possibly foreign, pull out a metallic box...open it...and it looks like what Ahmeds "clock" in Texas looked like. Somehow TSA missed it. Or maybe not. You aren't sure. Everyone else is asleep. Only you see it.

What do you do?

Apparently you do not.

I would probably report the suspicious device....just like the teacher did

I would then expect the suspect to be questioned about what the device was and why he brought it on the plane. If it was a 14 year old and he explained it was a clock and part of a school engineering class, I would contact his parents and have a knowledgeable person examine the device before I handcuffed him and took him to jail

Ooh, that's a good'n.

OK I'd use the phone in the seat to call the Irving Police and have them fly alongside the plane so they could board and interrogate the kid and try to get him to say "clock = bomb". And if he won't do it we wrap a towel around his head and chuck him out over the desert.

Irving Police did not seem concerned enough to evacuate the school or call in a bomb sniffing dog

They couldn't have been that concerned that it was an actual bomb

Nope. They were concerned however with whether or not it was an intentional prank. Which is illegal under Texas law.

By the way....by CALEA national standards of best practice for police agencies....bomb evacuations are only mandated by police when it's CONFIRMED to be a real bomb. Up to that point...the standard is that it's optional....and up to the person in charge of the school or business....not the cops. Irving PD never had the authority to force an evacuation. School did....not PD.

If they were concerned it was a prank, they would need evidence that he tried to represent it as a bomb. That is an intentional prank

There was evidence that he represented it as a clock to his engineering teacher and anyone else who would listen

True. And evidence piece #1 is a device that looks suspicious and could be mistaken for an explosive device by the untrained eye. Similar to how a cop may mistake a toy gun for a real gun. Evidence piece #2 is an engineering teacher who WARNED him not to let others see it. Why? Because that engineering teacher knew it could be mistaken as something dangerous.

Evidence piece #3. Hockmed ignored that warning....and plugged it in during class....in a classroom with a big clock hanging on the wall like all classes have. Why?? Not sure.

There's enough evidence to say he MIGHT have been pulling a prank. Not certainly. Not even probably. But maybe.

Highschool freshmen are little idiots. If you're afraid of them you have a problem.

I agree. High school freshmen ARE idiots. They do dumb shit often.....like pranks. Hmmm.

Gutting a functional clock and shoving it's guts into a metallic case isn't "building" anything.

Sorry it's not as fun as "knock the brown person unconcious and take the clock" like Billy's solution.

You see its a clock an since a clock is used in a bomb then they believe it could be a bomb despite no bomb being there. Sorta like a clock could be a robot, a computer, a timepiece, microwave etc.....that means all of them are potential bombs :redface:
True, in fact anything a brown person is carrying could be a bomb. If I see a brown person carrying something I'm gonna take Billy and Bucs advice and know them unconscious and take stuff. And if it's not a bomb, well that's what lawyers are for anyways so what the hell?

Anyway.....we're getting off track. This thread is not about Irving. The ONLY similarity is that the device is a duplicate of the one in Irving. That's it. This one is held by an adult male...on a plane...at 25K feet. He's opening it up.....what do you do?

I would then expect the suspect to be questioned about what the device was and why he brought it on the plane. If it was a 14 year old and he explained it was a clock and part of a school engineering class, I would contact his parents and have a knowledgeable person examine the device before I handcuffed him and took him to jail

Ooh, that's a good'n.

OK I'd use the phone in the seat to call the Irving Police and have them fly alongside the plane so they could board and interrogate the kid and try to get him to say "clock = bomb". And if he won't do it we wrap a towel around his head and chuck him out over the desert.

Irving Police did not seem concerned enough to evacuate the school or call in a bomb sniffing dog

Nope. They were concerned however with whether or not it was an intentional prank. Which is illegal under Texas law.

By the way....by CALEA national standards of best practice for police agencies....bomb evacuations are only mandated by police when it's CONFIRMED to be a real bomb. Up to that point...the standard is that it's optional....and up to the person in charge of the school or business....not the cops. Irving PD never had the authority to force an evacuation. School did....not PD.

The school didn't do it either. Which means EVERYBODY knew there was no bomb.
Yet --- they went on with the ruse as if it was. Aye, there's the rub.

I don't dispute that they quickly figured out it wasn't a live bomb.

But was it a prank or hoax? Not as easy to determine. This forum is split on that....so obviously there is a question of whether it was an intentional prank or not.

So....on the plane in the scenario I posted....what do you do?

If it was a hoax or a prank they would have to determine that he represented the device as a bomb....that is what a hoax is

All involved said he always said it was a clock

True, in fact anything a brown person is carrying could be a bomb. If I see a brown person carrying something I'm gonna take Billy and Bucs advice and know them unconscious and take stuff. And if it's not a bomb, well that's what lawyers are for anyways so what the hell?

My scenario never included a brown person. You must have assumed the man on a plane with a suspicious item was brown. You fuckin racist...or bigot...or pigmentist....or whatever you all call em now....you're that.

Ooh, that's a good'n.

But was it a prank or hoax? Not as easy to determine. This forum is split on that....so obviously there is a question of whether it was an intentional prank or not.

If it was a hoax or a prank they would have to determine that he represented the device as a bomb....that is what a hoax is

But RW, didn't you hear? The kids a muslim, so it must be a bomb!

My scenario never included a brown person. You must have assumed the man on a plane with a suspicious item was brown. You fuckin racist...or bigot...or pigmentist....or whatever you all call em now....you're that.
Oh sorry, a "foreigner." Which to you means "not white."

Ooh, that's a good'n.

Yes. Many teens....when caught doing mischief....will say what they think will get them out of trouble. Damn...nobody saw that coming.

A man having a reaction to his meds paces up and down the plane and everyone panics. Someone says a pray before take off and everyone panics. Someone does not turn off their phone or ipad and everyone panics. Someone becomes difficult with the crew and everyone panics

So you assume all suspicious foreigners on planes are brown????? Wow....they're gonna revoke your liberal membership card. The foreigner could be a blond haired blue eyed Russian. They don't like us much lately you know.

You committed racial profiling asshole!

But RW, didn't you hear? The kids a muslim, so it must be a bomb!

You mean Ahmed? Is he Muslim? His dad is. I never read that HE is.

If this kid was a white Baptist, I guarantee, many folks would be all pissed of about any over-reactions by authorities.
It's always the same people/ideology who are demonizing Muslims/Hispanics/Blacks.
This isn't about being PC, it's about being a bigot.
Fuck you pal.
99.9999% of ALL terrorist attacks on innocents worldwide have been the work of Muslims. If the budding Islamofacist would have opened the 'pencil box' and I saw him do it I would have put a fucking bullet in his brain and asked 'PC' questions later.
For all you LIB pussy-boys out there: LEO's routinely fly with CC. Happens a thousand times a day.
Pull a fucking stunt like the 'kid' did on a plane and you're pretty much guaranteed of getting shot dead.

Ooh, that's a good'n.

If they were concerned it was a prank, they would need evidence that he tried to represent it as a bomb. That is an intentional prank

There was evidence that he represented it as a clock to his engineering teacher and anyone else who would listen

True. And evidence piece #1 is a device that looks suspicious and could be mistaken for an explosive device by the untrained eye. Similar to how a cop may mistake a toy gun for a real gun. Evidence piece #2 is an engineering teacher who WARNED him not to let others see it. Why? Because that engineering teacher knew it could be mistaken as something dangerous.

Evidence piece #3. Hockmed ignored that warning....and plugged it in during class....in a classroom with a big clock hanging on the wall like all classes have. Why?? Not sure.

There's enough evidence to say he MIGHT have been pulling a prank. Not certainly. Not even probably. But maybe.

Again, a prank is a prank

If he had road flares wrapped in tape with an alarm clock and told people that it was a bomb...that would be a hoax

He had an electronic device which he explained the purpose of. He did not hide it, he openly showed it to his engineering teacher. The school should have asked the teacher if his story was true. Once the teacher verified his story, the kid should have been released......no handcuffs, no jail

So you assume all suspicious foreigners on planes are brown????? Wow....they're gonna revoke your liberal membership card.

No, they won't. Democrats are as racist as it gets.

What do you do?
I misunderstood the second choice. I would choose that rather than the first.

Forum List

Back