In 2006 Obama voted to filibuster Supreme Court Nominee Alito

Republicans continue to whine.......Democrats do it too!

Alito and Thomas were approved by the Democrats. They are both arch conservatives. They both gave conservatives a 5-4 edge in the court

Republicans are refusing to even allow Obama to fill a vacant seat regardless of who he picks. They are outraged that he would pick a liberal even more so that it would give the liberals a 5-4 advantage

Can you see the difference?

Clearly...Obama himself agreed to filibuster one appointment, and voted against BOTH. Now that he is President he says it is the Senates job to up/down vote...when before it was OK to filibuster.
So yeah

As is the right of any Senator

What is not a right is to demand that a President not make an appointment and that some as yet undetermined candidate is better suited to make the appointment

Alito and Thomas were approved by the Democrats. They are both arch conservatives. They both gave conservatives a 5-4 edge in the court

Republicans are refusing to even allow Obama to fill a vacant seat regardless of who he picks. They are outraged that he would pick a liberal even more so that it would give the liberals a 5-4 advantage

Clearly...Obama himself agreed to filibuster one appointment, and voted against BOTH. Now that he is President he says it is the Senates job to up/down vote...when before it was OK to filibuster.
So yeah

What is not a right is to demand that a President not make an appointment and that some as yet undetermined candidate is better suited to make the appointment

Hmm....so pray tell what is the end result difference between filibuster (block a vote purposefully) and block a vote purposefully.
And BTW - Reid is the king of blocking votes.
As I said before it is the job of Senate to vote, I am against the Senate blocking ANY votes for political reasons...something they do consistently. My point is the hypocrisy of Obama.

So yeah

Hmm....so pray tell what is the end result difference between filibuster (block a vote purposefully) and block a vote purposefully.
As I said before it is the job of Senate to vote, I am against the Senate blocking ANY votes for political reasons...something they do consistently. My point is the hypocrisy of Obama.
How bout we do this...

Treat Obama's nominee the same way that Alito was treated

Naturally, the media has censored this factoid from the past.

First President in US History to Have Voted to Filibuster a Supreme Court Nominee Now Hopes for Clean Process

may 30 2009 On January 2006, then-Sen. Obama joined 24 colleagues in a futile effort led by Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., to filibuster the Supreme Court nomination of now-Justice Samuel Alito.

On January 29, 2006, Mr. Obama told George Stephanopulos on "This Week" that he would "be supporting the filibuster because I think Judge Alito, in fact, is somebody who is contrary to core American values, not just liberal values, you know. When you look at his decisions in particular during times of war, we need a court that is independent and is going to provide some check on the executive branch, and he has not shown himself willing to do that repeatedly."
Was this before or after he plotted with Rev. Wright and Bill Ayres to overthrow the federal government and indoctrinate our children with Islamic propaganda, while giving top secret information to the soviets....just askin?

So yeah

How bout we do this...

Which is what is happening now.
Like I said before, I believe what you are seeing now is posturing...just like in 2007...difference is Obama was the one wanting to block votes before (twice) and voted against both.

So yeah

How bout we do this...

Like I said before, I believe what you are seeing now is posturing...just like in 2007...difference is Obama was the one wanting to block votes before (twice) and voted against both.

We will see

The rightwing media is already firing up the base to attack any appointee as a flaming liberal regardless of his judicial record.

Arch conservative Alito was approved 75-25 with 25 Democrats crossing the aisle
Will Republicans show the same consideration?

So yeah

How bout we do this...

He knew who he was objecting to!

So yeah

How bout we do this...

Keep digging...eventually in 20-30 years you will hit on something that matters
metaldetecting.jpg
!!

So yeah

How bout we do this...

As a Senator, Obama can object to a Supreme Court nomination

25 Democrats supported arch conservative Alito and Alito kept the court 5-4 conservative

How many Republicans will vote for Obama's nominee?
Will there even be a vote?

How bout we do this...

Keep digging...eventually in 20-30 years you will hit on something that matters
metaldetecting.jpg
!!
It does matter! My only objection on this SC thing is that Republicans are saying no before having an appointee to object to!

he wasn't filibustered, they new he wouldn't be filibustered, with only 25 people making the statement against Alito....it would take 60 votes to filibuster any contender, if I am not mistaken?

They KNEW he would not be filibustered....before they attempted it.

So yeah

Reid never blocked a vote for the Supreme Court

Why are Republicans doing it?

he wasn't filibustered, they new he wouldn't be filibustered, with only 25 people making the statement against Alito....it would take 60 votes to filibuster any contender, if I am not mistaken?

Takes 41 votes to filibuster

Republicans are refusing to even allow Obama to fill a vacant seat regardless of who he picks.

Obama does not have authority to FILL a vacant seat. He can merely nominate someone and then the senate has an obligation to decide if the candidate is qualified. Unfortunately for you, obama's amnesty of 5 million illegals proves he has no understanding of the law and the constitution and thus any candidate he picks will certainly be unqualified. THINK, hater.

[
It does matter! My only objection on this SC thing is that Republicans are saying no before having an appointee to object to!

Obama is unqualified to pick anyone. His amnesty of 5 million illegals proves he has no understanding of the law. I doubt if obama can even read. Most blacks cannot.

Republicans are refusing to even allow Obama to fill a vacant seat regardless of who he picks.

Obama does not have authority to FILL a vacant seat. He can merely nominate someone and then the senate has an obligation to decide if the candidate is qualified. Unfortunately for you, obama's amnesty of 5 million illegals proves he has no understanding of the law and the constitution and thus any candidate he picks will certainly be unqualified. THINK, hater.
Obama's amnesty of 5 million illegals proves he has no understanding of the law and the constitution and thus any candidate he picks will certainly be unqualified.
That's actually stupid. He nominates someone who DOES know the law and the constitution. He's not nominating himself.

Right, but they voted to filibuster, the fact they wouldn't succeed is irrelevant. Doesn't matter what they knew.

Forum List

Back