In case of self-quarantine: Use of availible food order

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
For the non preppers out there, in case you get stuck in your house/apartment for a few weeks, I was thinking about how to stretch out and maximize any availible food that a person would have. I base the assumptions on my situation: NYC, apartment.

In this scenario you can assume the utilities would go out in this order: Electrical-Natural Gas-Water. NYC's water is gravity fed from reservoirs, so it would take a tunnel collapse to turn it off. Loss of chlorination might be an issue, but most people have a bottle of clorox in their house, so disinfection is possible for a period of time.

To me the order of what you would eat would be.

1.Anything in the refrigerator
2. Anything that becomes stale or perishable at room temperature
3. Anything that requires hot water to make edible (rice, pasta, etc)
4. Anything in cans

Canned food might not be desirable at room temperature, but it is still edible

thoughts?

I live rural is southwest KY so most not an issue. I would strongly miss electricity though, for freezers and heat/ac. I have a propane tank for cooking. There is water everywhere and a Brit Berkley water purifier sits new and ready.

One could get a small propane camping cookstove and a couple 1# profanes. Small, store easy and greatly expands what you can eat. Rice beans, dehydrated survival ford etc (also easy to store)

For the non preppers out there, in case you get stuck in your house/apartment for a few weeks, I was thinking about how to stretch out and maximize any availible food that a person would have. I base the assumptions on my situation: NYC, apartment.

In this scenario you can assume the utilities would go out in this order: Electrical-Natural Gas-Water. NYC's water is gravity fed from reservoirs, so it would take a tunnel collapse to turn it off. Loss of chlorination might be an issue, but most people have a bottle of clorox in their house, so disinfection is possible for a period of time.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?
What kind of time frame are we looking at here? While for some the closing of bridges and tunnels would leave you potentially marooned; if it’s getting to the point that your rationing down to the last of your canned goods... you should be carrying these goods on your back as you GTFO.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?
What kind of time frame are we looking at here? While for some the closing of bridges and tunnels would leave you potentially marooned; if it’s getting to the point that your rationing down to the last of your canned goods... you should be carrying these goods on your back as you GTFO.

I would say 2-4 weeks for something like this to burn out.

Figure 1500 calories per day.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?

I would say 2-4 weeks for something like this to burn out.

Figure 1500 calories per day.
2-4 weeks you should definitely have an escape plan. Lots can go wrong with that many people in a confined space, lacking basic food, and utilities. Even some of my urbanite prepper friends realize that despite whatever preps, and precautions they take; they can’t predict random. You can store all the food you like in your apt; and it’ll matter not a whit when it burns down, due to another tenant trying to cook, or purify water.

But if all your asking about is calories, for the non prepper..? MREs. Widely available, long shelf life, require no cooking, and they’re portable.

How can they GTFO? A train? Many NY dwellers don't drive. I have a buddy, a graphic artist (did all Kiss album covers etc, awesome guy) 65 like I am. He has never had a driver license or a car. If they did have a car where they gonna go, how bad will traffic backjam?

If they were going to GTFO they need to do it now. Lets have some suggestions how to help them deal a few weeks.

How can they GTFO? A train? Many NY dwellers don't drive. I have a buddy, a graphic artist (did all Kiss album covers etc, awesome guy) 65 like I am. He has never had a driver license or a car. If they did have a car where they gonna go, how bad will traffic backjam?

If they were going to GTFO they need to do it now. Lets have some suggestions how to help them deal a few weeks.
All very good, and serious questions. These are the kinds of questions those who live in such circumstances need to think about. Many metropolitan areas are different. As such self evacuation from said places will require thought, and solutions tailored to the individual. Don’t wait till disaster strikes to formulate a plan. Fortune favors the prepared.

Sawdust candles are easy to make and put out enough heat to warm canned goods, FYI.

My Byrd House: Sawdust Emergency Candle Tutorial
How many city dwellers have sawdust around...

Well, prepping is about preparing. Sawdust can be obtained for free at lots of places. Even New York City has cabinet builders, construction companies, lumberyards, hobby shops, etc.
The OP specifically stated “non-preppers”...

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?
Are you getting ready for a apocalypse? Here is his preparation kit.

EMERGENCY SURVIVAL FOODS: Coronavirus Clearance Sale

3nugxo.gif

I don't know about that 2--4 weeks thing. it's already been a month and SARS took nine months to burn out.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?

Nice post.

With some dried meat, water and vegetables (canned, fresh, whatever) one can make soup that will feed many and can be simmered forever. Also, curing ham (a dying art) is another food that will last and last. Don't forget to can (jar) vegetables, fruit, beans, jams or whatever. I keep six months of food on hand at all times. With a secluded backyard, a tandoori oven and a conventional grill I can do fresh breads for months from scratch, as well as cook soups or whatever. After I run out of all that prepper food I'll turn to rabbits, squirrels, deer and fish and crabs from the bay. Disaster you say? Bring it.

All very good, and serious questions. These are the kinds of questions those who live in such circumstances need to think about. Many metropolitan areas are different. As such self evacuation from said places will require thought, and solutions tailored to the individual. Don’t wait till disaster strikes to formulate a plan. Fortune favors the prepared.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the best way out is a boat? I believe roads will be parking lots. Even hurricane evacs are a total mess. Imagine the population of NYC trying to move.

All very good, and serious questions. These are the kinds of questions those who live in such circumstances need to think about. Many metropolitan areas are different. As such self evacuation from said places will require thought, and solutions tailored to the individual. Don’t wait till disaster strikes to formulate a plan. Fortune favors the prepared.

Maybe the best way out is a boat? I believe roads will be parking lots. Even hurricane evacs are a total mess. Imagine the population of NYC trying to move.[/QUOTE]
Yep. If your locked on an island a boat of some sort is an obvious solution. But can said person use a boat? There are compact inflatables that are more than capable of getting one across a river. Roads blocked? Lace up and walk. Or grab a bike. There are lots of options available. But none of them will do people any good if they don’t at the very least war game these situations.

Yep. If your locked on an island a boat of some sort is an obvious solution. But can said person use a boat? There are compact inflatables that are more than capable of getting one across a river. Roads blocked? Lace up and walk. Or grab a bike. There are lots of options available. But none of them will do people any good if they don’t at the very least war game these situations.

I agree man. They have to be proactive in this, think it out, have a plan. Those who don't won;t make it. 4 weeks off grid in NYC could kill MANY, most likely each other. Unfortunate.

I was a yank (still am i guess) Anytime I left new england to go anywhere i BYPASSED NYC. Only took once in 80 to realize I would never drive thru there again for any reason. But then I am a hermit, not fond of cities or heavy population. Those whom like it, good for them if they are happy. But are they or are they trapped.

Forum List

Back