In case of self-quarantine: Use of availible food order

Yep. If your locked on an island a boat of some sort is an obvious solution. But can said person use a boat? There are compact inflatables that are more than capable of getting one across a river. Roads blocked? Lace up and walk. Or grab a bike. There are lots of options available. But none of them will do people any good if they don’t at the very least war game these situations.

I agree man. They have to be proactive in this, think it out, have a plan. Those who don't won;t make it. 4 weeks off grid in NYC could kill MANY, most likely each other. Unfortunate.

I was a yank (still am i guess) Anytime I left new england to go anywhere i BYPASSED NYC. Only took once in 80 to realize I would never drive thru there again for any reason. But then I am a hermit, not fond of cities or heavy population. Those whom like it, good for them if they are happy. But are they or are they trapped.
Cities by their very nature express a co-dependency on others. The antithesis of self sufficiency. Strength in numbers cannot be ignored. But if there is even a brief hiccup in the supply chain; the results can be apocalyptic.

Cities by their very nature express a co-dependency on others. The antithesis of self sufficiency. Strength in numbers cannot be ignored. But if there is even a brief hiccup in the supply chain; the results can be apocalyptic.

Yes there is a codependency but shit comes to shove they will eat each other.

For the non preppers out there, in case you get stuck in your house/apartment for a few weeks, I was thinking about how to stretch out and maximize any availible food that a person would have. I base the assumptions on my situation: NYC, apartment.

In this scenario you can assume the utilities would go out in this order: Electrical-Natural Gas-Water. NYC's water is gravity fed from reservoirs, so it would take a tunnel collapse to turn it off. Loss of chlorination might be an issue, but most people have a bottle of clorox in their house, so disinfection is possible for a period of time.

To me the order of what you would eat would be.

1.Anything in the refrigerator
2. Anything that becomes stale or perishable at room temperature
3. Anything that requires hot water to make edible (rice, pasta, etc)
4. Anything in cans

Canned food might not be desirable at room temperature, but it is still edible

thoughts?

I assume your hot water dilemma comes from living in the city?

For the non preppers out there, in case you get stuck in your house/apartment for a few weeks, I was thinking about how to stretch out and maximize any availible food that a person would have. I base the assumptions on my situation: NYC, apartment.

In this scenario you can assume the utilities would go out in this order: Electrical-Natural Gas-Water. NYC's water is gravity fed from reservoirs, so it would take a tunnel collapse to turn it off. Loss of chlorination might be an issue, but most people have a bottle of clorox in their house, so disinfection is possible for a period of time.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?
What kind of time frame are we looking at here? While for some the closing of bridges and tunnels would leave you potentially marooned; if it’s getting to the point that your rationing down to the last of your canned goods... you should be carrying these goods on your back as you GTFO.

I would say 2-4 weeks for something like this to burn out.

Figure 1500 calories per day.

The wife and I could easily go for two or three months without worry.
The menu would get old but we could live.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?

First thing you invest in a small butane gas stove and cans of fuel. You should have a lot of bottled water stashed and stock up on cheap food you can make with water.....ramen noodles, rice and noodle mix, complete pancake mix, powered milk, canned soups, chef Boyardee, spam, tuna, salmon, chicken. If you lose power eat all perishable food first. Eggs can be stored at room temperature as can butter and most condiments. Jam, honey, cheese whiz, summer sausage to eat with crackers. Basic common sense.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?

I assume your hot water dilemma comes from living in the city?

yes. if gas goes out, there are fuel sources for fire, but not good ones, not good locations to light one outside that doesn't risk coming into contact with infected people, or even worse, the gangs that would inevitably be looking for people with supplies.

4. Anything in cans

thoughts?

First thing you invest in a small butane gas stove and cans of fuel. You should have a lot of bottled water stashed and stock up on cheap food you can make with water.....ramen noodles, rice and noodle mix, complete pancake mix, powered milk, canned soups, chef Boyardee, spam, tuna, salmon, chicken. If you lose power eat all perishable food first. Eggs can be stored at room temperature as can butter and most condiments. Jam, honey, cheese whiz, summer sausage to eat with crackers. Basic common sense.

I usually have 5-10 cans of chunky soup in my cabinet, and that isn't counting all the canned vegetables and beans I have.

I usually have 5-10 cans of chunky soup in my cabinet, and that isn't counting all the canned vegetables and beans I have.

Don't forget the Beano (unless you will be using natural gas as an energy source).

Forum List

Back