🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

In first, Israeli drip irrigation to water California’s rice

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
This drip irrigation is great. A friend of mine who uses hundreds of feet of this at his getaway in the Tehachapi Mountains told me about this. Since we are supposed to conserve water in California because of the drought, we have artificial turf in the front and backyards, but the ivy running along the long driveway was dying. While using very little water, this drip irrigation has brought the ivy back to life.

Ben-Gurion University and Netafim are teaming up with a large ranch to help the state beat its drought
BY DAVID SHAMAH March 21, 2016, 7:05 pm

Rice field (Pixabay)
WRITERS
shamahdavid-7487-medium.jpg

David Shamah

Ben-Gurion University is joining with drip-irrigation pioneer Netafim to help increase the output of rice in parched California.

In a gala announcement at the annual policy conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) in Washington Monday, Kyriakos Tsakopoulos, president, principal and chief executive officer of Conaway Preservation Group, said that the Israeli-developed technology could be a breakthrough in the development of a rice industry in arid areas like California.

“We believe this initiative represents the first use of drip irrigation in the US for a rice crop,” he said. “We couldn’t ask for better partners.”

The Conaway Preservation Group is the group responsible for the Conaway Ranch, located in Yolo County, California, east of Sacramento – normally one of the richest and most productive farming areas in the world. The county, for example, is the biggest yielder of tomatoes for canning in California, a state that is responsible for 90% of the canned and processed tomato production in the United States and 35% worldwide.

Continue reading at:

Prefer sprinklers myself. After all, successful watering depends on the volume of wetted soil, drippers are very inefficient at wetting volumes of soil.

Prefer sprinklers myself. After all, successful watering depends on the volume of wetted soil, drippers are very inefficient at wetting volumes of soil.
Who cares?

Yes, I am sure the rice farmers in California are ecstatic that you prefer sprinklers. However, they feel since rice growing takes a lot of water, they will be happy to use an innovation which will deliver water exactly where it is needed. I like that concept since I don't have excess water running down my driveway into the street from sprinklers.

12 top ways Israel feeds the world

However, they feel since rice growing takes a lot of water, they will be happy to use an innovation which will deliver water exactly where it is needed.
Except drippers don't deliver water to the needed location as well as sprinklers. From your commercial growing experience, which do you prefer ?

Though the interesting thing is why anyone would want to try and grow a water hungry crop in an area with water shortage. I guess the answer is market distorting farm subsidies.

Next they'll be growing it on the Staked Plains.

However, they feel since rice growing takes a lot of water, they will be happy to use an innovation which will deliver water exactly where it is needed.
Except drippers don't deliver water to the needed location as well as sprinklers. From your commercial growing experience, which do you prefer ?

Maybe we should all sing Farmer in the Dell to you. The way you are responding leads one to believe that you know better than the agronomists who have studied the subject of drip irrigation versus sprinklers on various crops.

One thing for sure though, given the tenor of what you have posted before on threads, if this drip irrigation issue involved any other country but Israel, there probably wouldn't have been a peep out of you.

Drip Irrigation: Growing Crops in the Desert - Untold News

Forum List

Back