In honor of Black History month

The most ardent racist in the Old South were not politicians, wealthy whites, or the Southern Aristocracy. They were poor whites who saw the rise of the black man as competition for jobs and social status. There was many a poor white in the South who would say, "At least am better than those damn N..."

Attitudes on race are slow to change but I see so much difference in my kids and grand kids compared to my generation. This last weekend, my granddaughter had a sleepover with 5 girls. One was black, one was Chinese, two were white, and one was mixed races. I think someday, not in my lifetime, we will put racism behind us.

From your fingertips to God's computer monitor!

But, I think you have more faith in the human race than I do.
Maybe if you had seen the stuff I saw in the 50's and 60's in the South, you would see how far we've come. What we call racism today wouldn't even qualify as discrimination in those days. When I was about 8 years old, I saw an elderly black women literally thrown off a bus because she sat in a row that was marked White Only and not a single person said a word as the bus drove off and left her laying in the street. I had friends in high schools that considered it a real thrill to piss in a bottle, drive in a black area, call someone to the car and throw it in their face. In college, I returned to my room one day and found my roommate loading his rife and getting ready to go with his friends to Ole Miss to kill some Yankees and N..,

And don't think for a minute that it was just whites picking on blacks. There were plenty of white people that got beat up, robbed, and murdered although it's not publicized today.

In my family, if you said blacks should be treated as whites, you would say it only once. Blacks were dissented from monkeys, a strange twist on the theory evolution but it was commonly accepted among poor uneducated whites. Although blacks as a race were certainly hated, blacks as individuals were often loved and considered a member of the family. In other words, they were hated collectively and loved as individuals. Black people were to be pitied. God had cursed them by making them black. It was the duty of white people to take care of them just as they would take care of dumb animals.

We may have a ways to go, but we've come along way my friend.

I would never dispute the fact that we have come a long way, but the idea of ever reaching that goal literally seems impossible to me. Unfortunately.

I would never dispute the fact that we have come a long way, but the idea of ever reaching that goal literally seems impossible to me. Unfortunately.

Yeah, it seems that if we ever get close to no racial discrimination, some other form of discrimination will crop up.....

I made my choice...

Bob+Marley_e51917_4847786.jpg

He died way too young...

Thomas Sowell has written 40 books:eek: On Economics, civil rights, education ect..

12358-Thomas_Sowell_bio.jpg

Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social theorist, political philosopher and author

Sowell is an advocate of the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" philosophy, which encourages people to improve their positions not by government intervention, but by personal ambition and hard work. He believes that government initiatives to ensure a fair playing field for African Americans have actually hurt their chances for equality

Sowell was born June 30, 1930, in Gastonia, North Carolina, and spent much of his youth in Charlotte, North Carolina. Being a very private person, not much is known about his family or early years, except that he moved to Harlem in New York City with his parents at around the age of eight or nine. His father worked in the construction industry. Sowell attended classes for gifted students and was ranked at the top of his class at the prestigious Stuyvesant High School. He left school in tenth grade and worked for the next four years in a factory, as a delivery person, and as a Western Union messenger. These lean early years would heavily influence his politics later in life and provide him with arguments during debates with liberal leaders.

Sowell completed high school by attending night classes, then was drafted to serve in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1951. He spent two years at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, where he worked as a photographer. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, he enrolled at Howard University in Washington, D.C., a majority African American institution, while working part-time as a photographer and a civil service clerk for the General Accounting Office. After three semesters, Sowell transferred to Harvard University. There, he wrote his senior thesis on the German political philosopher, Karl Marx. Sowell graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor's degree in economics in 1958. A Marxist sympathizer as an undergraduate, Sowell gradually became more conservative as he pursued his master's degree at Columbia University. He continued his education at the University of Chicago, where he studied under economist and Nobel laureate, Milton Friedman, and George Stigler. Sowell obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1968.

Sowell began his illustrious professional career as a summer intern in 1960, then as an employee of the U.S. Department of Labor in 1960-61 as an economist. From there, he taught at Rutgers (1962-63) and Howard (1963-64) universities, later taking a post as an economic analyst with AT&T from 1964-65. Sowell taught from 1965-69 as an assistant professor of economics at Cornell and spent the summer of 1968 there as the director of the Summer Intensive Training Program in Economic Theory. After teaching from 1969-70 at Brandeis, Sowell went to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) as an associate professor of economics, where he was promoted to full professor in 1974. He also served as project director of the Urban Institute from 1972-74. Sowell stayed at UCLA until 1980 and also taught there from 1984-89. In 1980, he was named a senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

Thomas Sowell biography, birth date, birth place and pictures

Thomas Sowell has written 40 books:eek: On Economics, civil rights, education ect..

12358-Thomas_Sowell_bio.jpg

Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social theorist, political philosopher and author

Sowell is an advocate of the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" philosophy, which encourages people to improve their positions not by government intervention, but by personal ambition and hard work. He believes that government initiatives to ensure a fair playing field for African Americans have actually hurt their chances for equality

Sowell was born June 30, 1930, in Gastonia, North Carolina, and spent much of his youth in Charlotte, North Carolina. Being a very private person, not much is known about his family or early years, except that he moved to Harlem in New York City with his parents at around the age of eight or nine. His father worked in the construction industry. Sowell attended classes for gifted students and was ranked at the top of his class at the prestigious Stuyvesant High School. He left school in tenth grade and worked for the next four years in a factory, as a delivery person, and as a Western Union messenger. These lean early years would heavily influence his politics later in life and provide him with arguments during debates with liberal leaders.

Sowell completed high school by attending night classes, then was drafted to serve in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1951. He spent two years at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, where he worked as a photographer. Thanks to the G.I. Bill, he enrolled at Howard University in Washington, D.C., a majority African American institution, while working part-time as a photographer and a civil service clerk for the General Accounting Office. After three semesters, Sowell transferred to Harvard University. There, he wrote his senior thesis on the German political philosopher, Karl Marx. Sowell graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor's degree in economics in 1958. A Marxist sympathizer as an undergraduate, Sowell gradually became more conservative as he pursued his master's degree at Columbia University. He continued his education at the University of Chicago, where he studied under economist and Nobel laureate, Milton Friedman, and George Stigler. Sowell obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1968.

Sowell began his illustrious professional career as a summer intern in 1960, then as an employee of the U.S. Department of Labor in 1960-61 as an economist. From there, he taught at Rutgers (1962-63) and Howard (1963-64) universities, later taking a post as an economic analyst with AT&T from 1964-65. Sowell taught from 1965-69 as an assistant professor of economics at Cornell and spent the summer of 1968 there as the director of the Summer Intensive Training Program in Economic Theory. After teaching from 1969-70 at Brandeis, Sowell went to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) as an associate professor of economics, where he was promoted to full professor in 1974. He also served as project director of the Urban Institute from 1972-74. Sowell stayed at UCLA until 1980 and also taught there from 1984-89. In 1980, he was named a senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

Thomas Sowell biography, birth date, birth place and pictures

Sowell is the man!

Yeah, it seems that if we ever get close to no racial discrimination, some other form of discrimination will crop up.....
Yes, you're correct, there will always be some form of discrimination. The worst forms of discrimination are those based on factors that a person has no control such as race, sex, age, and ethnicity. These forms of discrimination are neither natural nor inevitable and there existence and intensity has varied widely within various cultures and time periods.

From anthropological studies of the mixing of races, it's very likely that in 22nd or 23rd century, that most humans will exhibit pronounced characteristics of most races. The Caucasian race will have darker skin and the Negro race will have lighter skin and both races will have mixtures of other races. In this environment, racial discrimination would be about as likely as discrimination based on hair or eye color.

Last edited:

Yes, you're correct, there will always be some form of discrimination. The worst forms of discrimination are those based on factors that a person has no control such as race, sex, age, and ethnicity. These forms of discrimination are neither natural nor inevitable and there existence and intensity has varied widely within various cultures and time periods.

From anthropological studies of the mixing of races, it's very likely that in 22nd or 23rd century, that most humans will exhibit pronounced characteristics of most races. The Caucasian race will have darker skin and the Negro race will have lighter skin and both races will have mixtures of other races. In this environment, racial discrimination would be about as likely as discrimination based on hair or eye color.

Good point, in that scenario, I suppose racial discrimination would evaporate, but as pointed out, some other form will take its place.

Thomas Sowell was mentioned, and he is my mentor, hero, and advisor when it comes to matters of race and racism. He has probably done more research and written more thought provoking commentary on the subject than any other individual.

On Black History Month (emphasis mine):

. . . .Another big problem with Black History Month is its narrowness. You cannot understand even your own history if that is the only history you know. Some explanations of what has happened in your history might sound plausible within the framework of just one people's history, but these explanations can collapse like a house of cards if you look at the same factors in the histories of other groups, other countries, and other eras.

Shelby Steele has pointed out that whites are desperate to escape guilt and blacks are desperate to escape implications of inferiority. But, viewed against the background of world history, neither group of Americans is unique. Nor are the differences between them. Both their anxieties are overblown.

Black-white differences in income, IQ, lifestyle or anything else you care to name are exceeded by differences between innumerable other groups around the world today and throughout history -- even when none of the factors that we blame for the differences in America was present.

For example, when the Romans invaded Britain, they came from an empire with magnificent art, architecture, literature, political organization and military might. But the Britons were an illiterate tribal people. There was not a building on the island, and no Briton's name had ever been recorded in the pages of history.

The Britons didn't build London. The Romans built London. And when the Romans left, four centuries later, the country fragmented into tribal domains again, the economy collapsed, and buildings and roads decayed. No one would have dreamed at that point that someday there would be a British Empire to exceed anything the Romans had ever achieved.

Maybe we need a British History Month.

--Thomas Sowell
Thomas Sowell

Again, elsewhere he, Shelby Steele, Morgan Freeman, and others have pointed out how the history involving black people is often missing from the history books, and of course Black History Month was implemented at least in part to combat that. But these men, who realistically see setting people apart as perpetuating the very racism it is intended to address, say we would be better served by taking a cold, hard look at what we are teaching people every day, year round. And correcting the skewed history that often exists in the textbooks.

Thomas Sowell was mentioned, and he is my mentor, hero, and advisor when it comes to matters of race and racism. He has probably done more research and written more thought provoking commentary on the subject than any other individual.

. . . .Another big problem with Black History Month is its narrowness. You cannot understand even your own history if that is the only history you know. Some explanations of what has happened in your history might sound plausible within the framework of just one people's history, but these explanations can collapse like a house of cards if you look at the same factors in the histories of other groups, other countries, and other eras.

Shelby Steele has pointed out that whites are desperate to escape guilt and blacks are desperate to escape implications of inferiority. But, viewed against the background of world history, neither group of Americans is unique. Nor are the differences between them. Both their anxieties are overblown.

Black-white differences in income, IQ, lifestyle or anything else you care to name are exceeded by differences between innumerable other groups around the world today and throughout history -- even when none of the factors that we blame for the differences in America was present.

For example, when the Romans invaded Britain, they came from an empire with magnificent art, architecture, literature, political organization and military might. But the Britons were an illiterate tribal people. There was not a building on the island, and no Briton's name had ever been recorded in the pages of history.

The Britons didn't build London. The Romans built London. And when the Romans left, four centuries later, the country fragmented into tribal domains again, the economy collapsed, and buildings and roads decayed. No one would have dreamed at that point that someday there would be a British Empire to exceed anything the Romans had ever achieved.

--Thomas Sowell
Thomas Sowell

Again, elsewhere he, Shelby Steele, Morgan Freeman, and others have pointed out how the history involving black people is often missing from the history books, and of course Black History Month was implemented at least in part to combat that. But these men, who realistically see setting people apart as perpetuating the very racism it is intended to address, say we would be better served by taking a cold, hard look at what we are teaching people every day, year round. And correcting the skewed history that often exists in the textbooks.

I agree BHM should not be needed but until the correct version of history is taught in schools it is the only way to somewhat educate all children about the Black people of note in history. I personally do not see anything wrong with people seeing color or different ethnicities. How boring would it be if everyone was the same?

--Thomas Sowell
Thomas Sowell

Sowell is a smart guy, I wonder why he stated something like this:"Another big problem with Black History Month is its narrowness. You cannot understand even your own history if that is the only history you know.". Is he trying to imply that Black people don't know or study any other history than the history covered in "Black History Month"? In my opinion, one of the reasons "Black History Month" was created was the fact that people were learning about many different types of history (European, American, etc.) and that there should be additions to that history. Most of the history about Blacks in this country basically covered slavery and the downtrodden condition of Black people. Mr. Woodson wanted to show the shining starts that made it through that adversity in order to encourage people to strive for excellence.

How many hundreds of years later did that powerful British Empire emerge from their ruins? When the Romans gave them their freedom, how were they 50 years later?

Last edited:

--Thomas Sowell
Thomas Sowell

I agree BHM should not be needed but until the correct version of history is taught in schools it is the only way to somewhat educate all children about the Black people of note in history. I personally do not see anything wrong with people seeing color or different ethnicities. How boring would it be if everyone was the same?
Many years ago, I took a course in civil war history. The professor began the class with a statement that to understand civil war history, you must first understand American history otherwise you're pulling the subject matter out of context. I believe it is much the same with black history. Studying black history without America history as a foundation is like studying Calculus without first mastering Algebra.

Many years ago, I took a course in civil war history. The professor began the class with a statement that to understand civil war history, you must first understand American history otherwise you're pulling the subject matter out of context. I believe it is much the same with black history. Studying black history without America history as a foundation is like studying Calculus without first mastering Algebra.

I'll even take it a step further. You cant understand American history if you don't understand World history and the staggering part Black African history and the Roman Catholic Church played in establishing the current status we are working with.

Forum List

Back