In less than 20 minutes...

I wonder how many joe and mary six packs know that they've lived thru 17 shutdowns?

And the sun still comes up, the moon rises, the earth is still spinning and life has gone on.

Since a new budgeting process was put into place in 1976, the U.S. government has shut down 17 times. Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan each dealt with six shutdowns during their terms in office, lasting anywhere from one day to 2 1/2 weeks.

The last actual shutdown came in 1996 — though the government came close during budget negotiations in 2011.

8 Things To Know About A Government Shutdown : It's All Politics : NPR

i did and every party that shut it down suffered the consequences for doing it ... i wonder if you kney that...

I wonder how many joe and mary six packs know that they've lived thru 17 shutdowns?

And the sun still comes up, the moon rises, the earth is still spinning and life has gone on.

Since a new budgeting process was put into place in 1976, the U.S. government has shut down 17 times. Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan each dealt with six shutdowns during their terms in office, lasting anywhere from one day to 2 1/2 weeks.

The last actual shutdown came in 1996 — though the government came close during budget negotiations in 2011.

first of all I don't drink never felt I need any false courage... so i guess I don't fit in to your framing ...

The federal government has previously shut down 17 times in the past four decades. The longest shutdowns were:

• 1. December 16, 1995 to January 6, 1996, 21-day dispute between President Clinton and the Republican House over budget deficit projections.

• 2. September 30 to October 18, 1978, 18-day dispute over President Carter's veto of a bill funding a a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and additional disputes over Medicaid funding for abortion.

• 3. September 30 to October 13, 1977, 12-day dispute between the House and Senate over Medicaid dollars for abortion.

• 4. September 30 to October 12, 1979, 11-day dispute between the Senate and House over pay raises for Congress and abortion spending.

• 5. September 30 to October 11, 1976, 10-day dispute between President Ford and Congress over social spending.

Prior to 1980, most government agencies kept operating without a budget. But in 1980 and 1981, Attorney General Benjamin R. Civiletti issued two opinions that more strictly interpreted the Antideficiency Act to limit what operations are "essential" and may continue without a budget

Source: A Brief History Of Federal Government Shutdown, Outside the Beltway. April 2011.

seems theirs a history of republicans doing this when they don't get their way.... i guess its about time for the dems to say no more shut downs to get your way republicans ...

Boehner actually made fun of Obama on the House floor. This is awesome. Check it out.

Boehner jokingly echoed that sentiment on the House floor, saying: 'I talked to the President earlier tonight: I'm not going to negotiate. I'm not going to negotiate. I'm not going to negotiate.'

:lol:

Boehner makes fun of Obama on the House floor by impersonating the President during the final hours of the shutdown debate | Mail Online

This is the first time in a freaking week Obama took the time to speak with Boehner.

and obama has made a fool of boehner and the republican party

i did and every party that shut it down suffered the consequences for doing it ... i wonder if you kney that...

Might want re-check the election that followed the '96 shutdown

Boehner actually made fun of Obama on the House floor. This is awesome. Check it out.

Boehner jokingly echoed that sentiment on the House floor, saying: 'I talked to the President earlier tonight: I'm not going to negotiate. I'm not going to negotiate. I'm not going to negotiate.'

:lol:

Boehner makes fun of Obama on the House floor by impersonating the President during the final hours of the shutdown debate | Mail Online

This is the first time in a freaking week Obama took the time to speak with Boehner.

I guess Obama finally managed a 10 minute phone call to take care of the nation's business in between rounds of golf.

I live in the DC area. Traffic was uncharacteristically pretty good this morning. I thought workers had to at least go in until noon today? I say stay shutdown.

That aside, Obama is President. The busk stops with him. He owns this. So I guess I have Obama to thank for good traffic.

The Republicans gained seats in the Senate and the House in the 1996 election.

Forum List

Back