incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

I have been buying incandescent bulbs at ten cents a piece and will sell them in a year for ten dollars each......I will become a lightbulb millionaire

People will miss their old inefficient bulbs and will come crawling to me!

Ha......ha.....ha.....ha

We have a 50 year supply in our basement.

Bwahahahaha!

Do you keep them next to your horde of manual typewriters, rotary phones, Beta VCR's, and disco 8-tracks?

Of course, the coal burned to power that incandescent released more mercury.

And LEDs don't have mercury.

Conclusion: Denialists are all raging hypocrites concerning the mercury issue

I agree LED's are much better however their cost is out of reach for most poor and lower middle class. As far as the coal fired power plants, where the hell have you been? The majority of US plants have very efficient scrubbers that control that. And, more to the point natural gas is supplanting coal everywhere because it is CHEAPER.

So no, I'm not a hypocrite. I have LEDS throughout my home because I can afford them.
The hypocrite is you. Coal plants were certainly a problem but now people like you have mandated that almost EVERY BUILDING in the USA is now a potential HAZMAT site.

GREAT JOB!

LEDs are about $10-15 each. I started replacing them one per month in those lights that are on the most. Kitchen, living areas. I used CFLs in bedroom lamps and smaller areas. I still have some incandescents in closets where they ar only on for a few seconds

Shop more carefully. They're much less than that if you do.

I find it very odd, those who claim the political right are the ones who refuse the capitalist ideal of keeping costs to a minimum.
They complain of high costs to buy the units but don't think of ways to buy at a better price.

Very low quality right wingers.

For about some it's about government controlling every aspect of daily life. Telling what you can eat - or if that fails, taxing their fantasy-du-jour foodstuff beyond reach. Telling you have to buy stuff you don't want.

For others it's about value. CFLs might save electricity but you have to turn (most of) them on about a half hour before you want to see anything. Then when they burn out (at about 25% of their "rated" life for many) you're mandated to take them to a haz-mat disposal site because they're full of stuff that can kill.

For others, no point in buying the cheaper ones - they still cost several times that of an incandescent and burn out before any payback. The really good ones are priced out of reach. So where's the value? It comes with elimination of costs that are not immediately apparent. Good deal to pay 10X the cost of an incandescent when the cost of getting to where it is to replace a lamp is 100X the cost of the purchase. That's the real saving; the reduced power consumption is just gravy.

LEDs will become popular when ways are found to make them last without making them prohibitively expensive. That WILL happen but not by government mandate. It'll happen through competition. Competition that will be lessened when people are forced to buy them without regard to how they'll last or how much they cost.

What a pile. New cfl's are instant-on, full brightness in 10-15 seconds. They last a long time...in ten years, I have replaced TWO. Note that both were on 8-14 hours/day, 365 days a year. One went ~8 years, the other nine. I had been replacing regular (actually, long-life!) incandescents every 6-8 MONTHS. Bonus: the CFL's made as much light with 1/3 the power (18W versus 60). Their replacements are even better, making MORE light while using the same power. These are all cheap CFL's, house brands from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Job Lot.

ES_Lighting_LifetimeSavings_8-12-13-2.png

I still don't get the 25 bucks for an LED.
Way out.

the light from the led sux, period, the imbecility of the cfl was proven at a Berkeley lab. Their life span is BS, capitalized, BS.

In my experience, the CFL lifespans are, if anything, conservative.

In most cities the trash pickup crews have been told not to accept cans or bins with those toxic tubes in 'em.

So, if you want 'em hauled away put them in an opaque trash bag down at the bottom of the can and drop a couple of big rocks on 'em to change the shape. They disappear like friggin' magic.

Or bring them to Lowe's, Home Depot, or Target...they all take them for no charge.

you are brilliant :thup: :rolleyes: Lemme guess, you vote Repub :thup:

BTW- you live in Taxachuttsettes where there are plenty of collection sites asswipe.

CFLs near boston - Recycling Centers - Earth911.com

So he's supposed to hop in his car and drive 20 miles to toss a light bulb. WTF??? burn a gallon of gas to save a few cents worth of electricity? You ARE daft.

There are at least three places within a mile and a half of his listed location. TRY AGAIN!

you are brilliant :thup: :rolleyes: Lemme guess, you vote Repub :thup:

BTW- you live in Taxachuttsettes where there are plenty of collection sites asswipe.

CFLs near boston - Recycling Centers - Earth911.com

So he's supposed to hop in his car and drive 20 miles to toss a light bulb. WTF??? burn a gallon of gas to save a few cents worth of electricity? You ARE daft.

There are at least three places within a mile and a half of his listed location. TRY AGAIN!

Great - how environmentally friendly. Drive around to find someone to take a pitiful light bulb off one's hands.

If he lives where I think he does (I know the area well), he drives RIGHT PAST at least one place regularly. If he takes the train, he walks past one place every time! In fact...I recall the supermarket nearest him takes them!

I find it very odd, those who claim the political right are the ones who refuse the capitalist ideal of keeping costs to a minimum.
They complain of high costs to buy the units but don't think of ways to buy at a better price.

Very low quality right wingers.

For about some it's about government controlling every aspect of daily life. Telling what you can eat - or if that fails, taxing their fantasy-du-jour foodstuff beyond reach. Telling you have to buy stuff you don't want.

For others it's about value. CFLs might save electricity but you have to turn (most of) them on about a half hour before you want to see anything. Then when they burn out (at about 25% of their "rated" life for many) you're mandated to take them to a haz-mat disposal site because they're full of stuff that can kill.

For others, no point in buying the cheaper ones - they still cost several times that of an incandescent and burn out before any payback. The really good ones are priced out of reach. So where's the value? It comes with elimination of costs that are not immediately apparent. Good deal to pay 10X the cost of an incandescent when the cost of getting to where it is to replace a lamp is 100X the cost of the purchase. That's the real saving; the reduced power consumption is just gravy.

LEDs will become popular when ways are found to make them last without making them prohibitively expensive. That WILL happen but not by government mandate. It'll happen through competition. Competition that will be lessened when people are forced to buy them without regard to how they'll last or how much they cost.

What a pile. New cfl's are instant-on, full brightness in 10-15 seconds. They last a long time...in ten years, I have replaced TWO. Note that both were on 8-14 hours/day, 365 days a year. One went ~8 years, the other nine. I had been replacing regular (actually, long-life!) incandescents every 6-8 MONTHS. Bonus: the CFL's made as much light with 1/3 the power (18W versus 60). Their replacements are even better, making MORE light while using the same power. These are all cheap CFL's, house brands from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Job Lot.

I've got three different types of cfls the old fashioned tube ones (with supposed 9y life time), the previous generation thin spiral tube standard bulb ones (with supposed 9y life time) and new tech cfl 120w equivalent spot lights (with supposed 8k hrs life).

The old fashioned cfl tubes last the longest for me usually about 5y. The spiral tube junk works but only last about 1 year for me. As to the new CFL spot lights... only had them for a few months but it's a real PITA having to wait 5min for them to warm up, they startup with about 10% and take at least 5min to get even close to 100%.

Last edited:

I've got three different types of cfls the old fashioned tube ones (with supposed 9y life time), the previous generation thin spiral tube standard bulb ones (with supposed 9y life time) and new tech cfl 120w equivalent spot lights (with supposed 8k hrs life).

The old fashioned cfl tubes last the longest for me usually about 5y. The spiral tube junk works but only last about 1 year for me. As to the new CFL spot lights... only had them for a few months but it's a real PITA having to wait 5min for them to warm up, they startup with about 10% and take at least 5min to get even close to 100%.
The CFL spots we have in our kitchen are really dim for the first 15 seconds. After about 30 to 45 seconds they seem to be at full brightness. I have had 6 of them in our kitchen for over 2 years which we use for about 8 hours a day and haven't had to replace any so I don't know how long they will last.

Last edited:
ES_Lighting_LifetimeSavings_8-12-13-2.png

I still don't get the 25 bucks for an LED.
Way out.

the light from the led sux, period, the imbecility of the cfl was proven at a Berkeley lab. Their life span is BS, capitalized, BS.

CFL life like other types of bulbs vary greatly, but are in the range 6,000 to 15,000 hours. Life is effected by actually voltage at the bulb, manufacturing defects, mechanical shock, voltage spikes, ambient temperature, and frequency of cycling on and off. A CFL may last only 3000 hours just as an incandescent bulb may last only 500 hours.

CFL life like other types of bulbs vary greatly, but are in the range 6,000 to 15,000 hours. Life is effected by actually voltage at the bulb, manufacturing defects, mechanical shock, voltage spikes, ambient temperature, and frequency of cycling on and off. A CFL may last only 3000 hours just as an incandescent bulb may last only 500 hours.

I typically get about three times the life out of CFL as I do incandescent but it's purely random. As they get older the risk of extra "parts" failing due, as you say to voltage spikes and shocks goes up. I would guess putting a line conditioner on my house would help more than switching to CFL. But there's nothing I can do about mechanical shocks. I have kids, and I have some stone miners that like to set off dynamite. So really for me the cheapest lighting is the best as I can just replace em as they fail. I'd much rather buy 60 incandescent 60w bulbs for 10bucks than one mercury laden cfl 120w bulb for 10 bucks. The math just does not add up.

Hang on a moment.

What was wrong with good old gas lighting and why aren't the anti progress lot advocating a return?

Stockholmgas_1953.jpg

I typically get about three times the life out of CFL as I do incandescent but it's purely random. As they get older the risk of extra "parts" failing due, as you say to voltage spikes and shocks goes up. I would guess putting a line conditioner on my house would help more than switching to CFL. But there's nothing I can do about mechanical shocks. I have kids, and I have some stone miners that like to set off dynamite. So really for me the cheapest lighting is the best as I can just replace em as they fail. I'd much rather buy 60 incandescent 60w bulbs for 10bucks than one mercury laden cfl 120w bulb for 10 bucks. The math just does not add up.

A Line conditioner to handle all your lighting can be pretty expensive and unless you have a lot of problems with spikes and surges it's probably not worthwhile. One of the major reasons for premature failure is heat build up. Although CFLs produce less heat than incandescent, heat buildup can reduce life drastically.

Since incandescent bulbs were so cheap, I think most people gave little thought as to how long they lasted. Since CFLs cost much more, we pay a lot more attention to their life. When we had incandescent bulbs, I kept a full shelf of bulbs in our storage room. When one burned out, I just replaced it and when our supply got low, I filled up the shelf with more bulbs. They were a commodity like garbage bags and paper towels. I never noticed whether I got 200, 500, or 1,000 hrs. out of a bulb. However, with CFLs, I have a record of when I replace them.

Last edited:
Hang on a moment.

What was wrong with good old gas lighting and why aren't the anti progress lot advocating a return?

Stockholmgas_1953.jpg
For the number of lumens produced gas lighting is expensive. Most of the energy from gas is converted to heat not light.

Last edited:
Hang on a moment.

Stockholmgas_1953.jpg

Oh hush!

I'm listing old burned out incandescents on ebay. If the nutters find out about gas lights, they won't buy my burned out bulbs!

Whatever you do, don't tell [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] cuz he'll undercut my prices for sure.

Forum List

Back