incandescent bulbs go into the dustbin of history

In most cities the trash pickup crews have been told not to accept cans or bins with those toxic tubes in 'em.

So, if you want 'em hauled away put them in an opaque trash bag down at the bottom of the can and drop a couple of big rocks on 'em to change the shape. They disappear like friggin' magic.

why do i get the feeling that you're not joking. you'd rather screw it up for everybody, including future generations, than man the hell up and do the right thing. :thup: Let me guess, you vote repub?

Well Sunniman, you got the currency part right, but like most consumers, you havent adapted to these new fangled things.. Should I explain this in Morse Code? :lol:

BTW Choose the BRAND NAME. Its too expensive to risk crappy design just to save 12000 RP. Thank me later..

I now have three of the very cheap ones.
At that price, they're worth a try.
One is in use and has been for a couple of weeks.
That lights up the whole room with a steady, clean white light so we rarely bother with the larger one and we've stopped using the third fitting all together as they is no further point in having a bulb in there.

I've been using LED for some while now and have no 100 year old tech bulbs anywhere except the headlamp of my motorcycle and that will be replaced with an LED when it blows.
As with all other old fashioned lamps, the headlamp is juice hungry, so changing it will save me cash as the fuel can be used to make the bike go forwards, not producing a load of heat in the headlamp.
Back in England, I was a DJ.
All my lights were converted to LED about 9 years ago. I changed the lot back then because they were just as efficient, but had no cool down time and lasted a lot longer.
I didn't change a single lamp in three years.
Ask DJs how often they have to change bulbs in the old fashioned lights...it's a lot more than once in three years.

So, as I suggested before.
How many posters have actually tried using LED units and how many are just spouting total crap without even trying one?
I've tried both types of the new bulbs and I can't stand them! Their harsh brightness makes me nervous. The extra cost of incandescent lighting is well worth it to me, so I'm glad to pay it.

I like the relaxing softness of incandescent lighting. I have dimmer switches all over my house, including lamps, wall switches, and sockets (16 in all). Using dimmers extends the life of incandescent bulbs at least tenfold. E.g., where I need 100w I use a 150w bulb and dim it to the desired level. Where I need 60w, I use a dimmed 100. I believe the cost of the dimmers is offset by the life of the bulbs. I rarely replace a light bulb.

When I moved here in 1996 I put a 25w bulb in a little lamp I use as a nightlight and dimmed it down to about 10w or less. That bulb has been lit 24/7 ever since 1996 and I'm looking at it right now. Same bulb, 24 hours a day -- eighteen years! (The larger ones also last for years but not that long.)

I now have a cardboard box full of incandescent bulbs in the garage. I've been buying them a pack at a time at the A&P every week for more than a year. 150w, 100w, 60w, 40w, and some 25s. I'm 77 years old, so I think I'll be incandescent for the rest of my life.

Again incandescent bulbs are not banned. The whole argument is pointless.

You are wrong. Obama's EPA henchmen set the energy star requirement for home lighting to 1/4 the amount of energy used by incandescent light bulbs, thus effectively banning incandescent light bulbs in any situation where Energy Star is mandated by federal, state, and local governments.

Last edited:
Well Sunniman, you got the currency part right, but like most consumers, you havent adapted to these new fangled things.. Should I explain this in Morse Code? :lol:

BTW Choose the BRAND NAME. Its too expensive to risk crappy design just to save 12000 RP. Thank me later..

I now have three of the very cheap ones.
At that price, they're worth a try.
One is in use and has been for a couple of weeks.
That lights up the whole room with a steady, clean white light so we rarely bother with the larger one and we've stopped using the third fitting all together as they is no further point in having a bulb in there.

I've been using LED for some while now and have no 100 year old tech bulbs anywhere except the headlamp of my motorcycle and that will be replaced with an LED when it blows.
As with all other old fashioned lamps, the headlamp is juice hungry, so changing it will save me cash as the fuel can be used to make the bike go forwards, not producing a load of heat in the headlamp.
Back in England, I was a DJ.
All my lights were converted to LED about 9 years ago. I changed the lot back then because they were just as efficient, but had no cool down time and lasted a lot longer.
I didn't change a single lamp in three years.
Ask DJs how often they have to change bulbs in the old fashioned lights...it's a lot more than once in three years.

So, as I suggested before.
How many posters have actually tried using LED units and how many are just spouting total crap without even trying one?
I've tried both types of the new bulbs and I can't stand them! Their harsh brightness makes me nervous. The extra cost of incandescent lighting is well worth it to me, so I'm glad to pay it.

I like the relaxing softness of incandescent lighting. I have dimmer switches all over my house, including lamps, wall switches, and sockets (16 in all). Using dimmers extends the life of incandescent bulbs at least tenfold. E.g., where I need 100w I use a 150w bulb and dim it to the desired level. Where I need 60w, I use a dimmed 100. I believe the cost of the dimmers is offset by the life of the bulbs. I rarely replace a light bulb.

When I moved here in 1996 I put a 25w bulb in a little lamp I use as a nightlight and dimmed it down to about 10w or less. That bulb has been lit 24/7 ever since 1996 and I'm looking at it right now. Same bulb, 24 hours a day -- eighteen years! (The larger ones also last for years but not that long.)

I now have a cardboard box full of incandescent bulbs in the garage. I've been buying them a pack at a time at the A&P every week for more than a year. 150w, 100w, 60w, 40w, and some 25s. I'm 77 years old, so I think I'll be incandescent for the rest of my life.

There are plenty of psych studies on this. It's a primitive instinct for humans to relax around
light sources that resemble warm fire light. And although the LED bulbs are moving in the right direction, CFLs never had the spectral red components to make them "warm". You can CHOOSE a "warm" LED bulb. Consumer education is needed, because not only has the power rating gotten more complicated with the price, but now it does takes 3 engineers to change a bulb.. :eusa_angel:

Thank you President Obama. Less enery consumed = less nuclear waste.

b7WcIqf.jpg

You are wrong. Obama's EPA henchmen set the energy star requirement for home lighting to 1/4 the amount of energy used by incandescent light bulbs, thus effectively banning incandescent light bulbs in any situation where Energy Star is mandated by federal, state, and local governments.

they are also working their way into residential building code.

Of course they are. For builders LED fixtures and bulbs can be a selling feature on new homes. An LED with 60 what equivalent bulb has a life of 50,000 hours. Compare this to a 60 watt incandescent with 1000 hour life. A new home with 25 bulbs will save over $8,000 over the life of the average LED which is about 17 years. Not only do you save $8,000 but you don't have to change light bulbs for 17 years.

For municipalities, LEDs mean less risk of fire and longer life for power generating plants. For businesses, less maintenance costs in changing bulbs.

Within 5 years most new homes and commercial structures will feature LEDs or other energy efficient bulbs in their design.

LED light bulbs: Comparison charts - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living

Last edited:

Of course they are. For builders LED fixtures and bulbs can be a selling feature on new homes. An LED with 60 what equivalent bulb has a life of 50,000 hours. Compare this to a 60 watt incandescent with 1000 hour life. A new home with 25 bulbs will save over $8,000 over the life of the average LED which is about 17 years. Not only do you save $8,000 but you don't have to change light bulbs for 17 years.

For municipalities, LEDs mean less risk of fire and longer life for power generating plants. For businesses, less maintenance costs in changing bulbs.

Within 5 years most new homes and commercial structures will feature LEDs or other energy efficient bulbs in their design.

LED light bulbs: Comparison charts - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living

:rolleyes: thx for reviewing the thread before posting....

I can't argue against the future of illumination belonging to LEDs (until something even better comes along). In hard-to-reach applications their tremendous extra cost (for good ones) is worth every penny. In vehicles, same thing. Especially those cute little electric go-carts that are the badge of "sensitive" liberals world-wide. Use conventional lamps in them and their distance-between-charges would be measured in yards, not miles.

In the home the trick is to find good ones and weigh whether the power saving is worth the high initial cost. Buy most of the cheap ones and you'll replace them often. Some of the cheap ones are prone to heating and require special fixtures to avoid fire risk.

The key is to understand what you're buying and weigh the benefits versus the consequences. Most people are either unable or unwilling to do that.

I'll bump this thread in a couple of years when it becomes clear that not EVERY LED bulb will have a long bright life.. This 50,000 hour crappola is dubious. From a guy who last year did some power supply design for an LED lighting project.. Hit a Sam's Club with a lightning bolt once and you'll probably be OK. Do that once a summer for a couple years and you're gonna lose $10,000 (or more) worth of bulbs. That and if you buy cheap -- the heat sinking will not be adequate to get 50,000 hours. Or if the bulbs go into recessed ceiling fixtures --- they are gonna die much sooner due to thermal stress on LEDs and power supply capacitors..

And the 50,000 hours comes from the L70 specification that says at 50,000 hours, the bulb SHOULD be under IDEAL thermal mgt. putting out 70% of what it did when it was new. In a home, no one is gonna notice. But in a supermarket, they will be MEASURING the light output periodically and will panic well before it hits 70% output. Big store retailers put a lot of emphasis into assuring correct color and floor brightness.

Forum List

Back