Inflation is gonna increase, but much more under trump

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US

The Felon has a plan to dramatically increase tariffs. That will sky rocket inflation. But he doesn't care. He and his Billionaire Buddies are good with it.

Joe Biden had a 9.1% inflation rate, remember?

Overall inflation up 20.1% since January 2021

BTW: Did you know that Biden actually increased the tariffs against China? :auiqs.jpg:

FACT SHEET: President Biden Takes Action to Protect American Workers and Businesses from China’s Unfair Trade Practices | The White House

The Felon has a plan to dramatically increase tariffs. That will sky rocket inflation. But he doesn't care. He and his Billionaire Buddies are good with it.
Come on jimboliar.....even you don't believe the Reichbabble you are writing now.

We know inflation has gone out of control since Biden took office, and while the rates are lower now, the compounded damage under Biden doesn't go away. What's with the scare tactics about an outcome in the future? Using this logic, Democrats consistently push for reparations .. what do you think that will do to the inflation rates?

We know inflation has gone out of control since Biden took office, and while the rates are lower now, the compounded damage under Biden doesn't go away. What's with the scare tactics about an outcome that may be in the future?
jimboliar is desperate now.

If the money supply stays the same, tariffs won't cause inflation.

Since Joe Biden took office:

Gas: +49.1%
Electricity: +31.6%
Fuel oil: +46.4%
Airfare: +32%
Hotels: +52.3%
Groceries: +21.3%
Eating out: +22.7%
Baby food: +30.5%
K-12 food: +65.1%
Rent: +21.5%
Used cars: +21.3%
Public transportation: +22.3%

Real average weekly earnings: -3.6%

We know inflation has gone out of control since Biden took office, and while the rates are lower now, the compounded damage under Biden doesn't go away. What's with the scare tactics about an outcome in the future? Using this logic, Democrats consistently push for reparations .. what do you think that will do to the inflation rates?

reparations are an unrealistic talking point.

tariffs is something the POTUS has almost unlimited power over, with little to no checks and balances.

Since Joe Biden took office:

Gas: +49.1%
Electricity: +31.6%
Fuel oil: +46.4%
Airfare: +32%
Hotels: +52.3%
Groceries: +21.3%
Eating out: +22.7%
Baby food: +30.5%
K-12 food: +65.1%
Rent: +21.5%
Used cars: +21.3%
Public transportation: +22.3%

Real average weekly earnings: -3.6%

I am sure you can provide the data to support each of these claims?

I am sure you can provide the data to support each of these claims?

Look for yourself and do the math, starting with shelter:

3.2% change in CPI for shelter on January 2019, currently at 5.2%

12-month percentage change, Consumer Price Index, selected categories

1720706765548.png

Food away from home:

1720706825753.png

This is a tricky subject as I consider myself libertarian but probably moreso socially than economically of late it seems but I do not like government intervention in the economy. Thus, in theory I disagree with tariffs, except when it is related to dealing with businesses from enemy states (a la China, Russia, N Korea, Iran etc).

The biggest influence to inflation will depends almost solely on how he offsets this tariff with spending, which is what Rand Paul is trying to get Trump to commit to. If he drags businesses back to America and decreases government expansion, inflation will go down, potentially drastically as Argentina has achieved.

Tariffs are nuanced and the full story isn't being presented by media which is funded by their advertisers. CNN for instance, mocked Trump in 2016 when he said he would confront China, they were actively cheering for China. Trump and his team knew better. As did anyone with a curiousity with economics.

The truth is that tariffs only increase prices if the company passes on the tariff to the consumer. Remember these are for foreign made products by people being employed outside America. America loses on the job AND taxation front (as workers are taxed by their income). These companies can do as they please and simply accept lower profits from manufacturing overseas.

Further to the above, when an American buys a product made overseas, a multi-national company can take the capital earned in America and move it to the other foreign nation in which to manufacture, so it is a net loss for America as currency flight occurs.

There is no law that says you must buy "made in China". Nor is there a law that says a company has to manufacture overseas.

Therefore, if the price of a foreign made product increases, blame the company that made it and isn't willing to pay the tariff. They are exploiting the arbitrage of currencies and wages, there is little ingenuity in making socks and Dollar Store items.

My guess is that if Trump applies broad tariffs there will be many exceptions and companies will lobby to try and promote such exceptions.

Last edited:

Megacorps will use that as an excuse to increase profits at our expense again.

World wide inflation shot up as the pandemic waxed and waned, Joe Biden kept ours lower than most places.

You should be thanking him.

I mean, can you imagine tRump trying to handle surging inflation?

"it'll go away on it's own, just like magic"

LMAO

This is a tricky subject as I consider myself libertarian but probably moreso socially than economically of late it seems but I do not like government intervention in the economy. Thus, in theory I disagree with tariffs, except when it is related to dealing with businesses from enemy states (a la China, Russia, N Korea, Iran etc).

The biggest influence to inflation will depends almost solely on how he offsets this tariff with spending, which is what Rand Paul is trying to get Trump to commit to. If he drags businesses back to America and decreases government expansion, inflation will go down, potentially drastically as Argentina has achieved.

Tariffs are nuanced and the full story isn't being presented by media which is funded by their advertisers. CNN for instance, mocked Trump in 2016 when he said he would confront China, they were actively cheering for China. Trump and his team knew better. As did anyone with a curiousity with economics.

The truth is that tariffs only increase prices if the company passes on the tariff to the consumer. Remember these are for foreign made products by people being employed outside America. America loses on the job AND taxation front (as workers are taxed by their income). These companies can do as they please and simply accept lower profits from manufacturing overseas.

Further to the above, when an American buys a product made overseas, a multi-national company can take the capital earned in America and move it to the other foreign nation in which to manufacture, so it is a net loss for America as currency flight occurs.

There is no law that says you must buy "made in China". Nor is there a law that says a company has to manufacture overseas.

Therefore, if the price of a foreign made product increases, blame the company that made it and isn't willing to pay the tariff. They are exploiting the arbitrage of currencies and wages, there is little ingenuity in making socks and Dollar Store items.

My guess is that if Trump applies broad tariffs there will be many exceptions and companies will lobby to try and promote such exceptions.

Trump used tariffs as a weapon, often to obtain deals with other countries like Mexico for instance.. The mere threat of having tariffs levied against a country can get things done in most cases, so that doesn't mean Trump would apply them broadly across the board.

Forum List

Back