Instead of Demanding Student Loan Forgiveness, Why Don't Liberals Demand Price Controls on College Tuition?

Democrats are bailing out Blue states that suck at business.
They're just getting a temporary reprieve via more fed-gov debt. The underlying problems, high tax on business and individuals, still remain and they'll continue to hemorrhage productive people and attract needy losers.

We could allow pre-employment tests again. Liberals didn't like them, but it would make screening for some jobs a lot cheaper than 4 or more years of college.

What would the cost be if the government didn't make or guarantee student loans?

Probably about the same... The problem is the government is providing LESS support now, not more.

Endless government loans have certainly distorted demand.

No, they really haven't. What's distorted demand is that you need a college degree if you want to be an entry level anything working in an office.

Our illegal aliens and public sector union employees are expensive.
Not to mention funding (and underfunding) their pensions.

Guy, you need to stop listening to hate radio, it's making you stupid.

Probably about the same...

You can't be serious. The baristas defaulting on their Medieval Queer Poetry college loans
wouldn't have been able to run up $200K+ in debt without government involvement.

No, they really haven't.

DURR.

What's distorted demand is that you need a college degree if you want to be an entry level anything working in an office.

Needing a college degree and getting someone to loan you the money you need are two very different things. Especially for many of the products of our awesome Chicago Public Schools.

Guy, you need to stop listening to hate radio,

Why would I need to listen to any radio to see what public sector unions and illegal aliens have done to Chicago? You think we'll default on our debt? On state debt?
Or will Biden and Harris give us enough free money to save us?

You can't be serious. The baristas defaulting on their Medieval Queer Poetry college loans
wouldn't have been able to run up $200K+ in debt without government involvement.

This is how the hate radio just makes you stupid. How many "Medieval Queer Poetry" majors do you think there are out there.

Here's a list for you... the number of degrees given out by major. Wow- funny thing, not a Medieval Queer Poetry" heading in the bunch.

1616624497977.png

Why would I need to listen to any radio to see what public sector unions and illegal aliens have done to Chicago? You think we'll default on our debt? On state debt?

or we could just properly fund government... the funny thing about you guys is you all think that government can do all this stuff and no one has to pay for it.

This is how the hate radio just makes you stupid. How many "Medieval Queer Poetry" majors do you think there are out there.

Here's a list for you... the number of degrees given out by major. Wow- funny thing, not a Medieval Queer Poetry" heading in the bunch.

View attachment 471876

or we could just properly fund government... the funny thing about you guys is you all think that government can do all this stuff and no one has to pay for it.

How many "Medieval Queer Poetry" majors do you think there are out there.

Too many.

or we could just properly fund government...

Dems have complete control over Chicago and Illinois state government, what are they waiting for?

the funny thing about you guys is you all think that government can do all this stuff and no one has to pay for it.

The funny thing is, I don't think we should have public sector unions or their unaffordable pensions.

Too many.

Give me a number.

The funny thing is, I don't think we should have public sector unions or their unaffordable pensions.

I'm sure you don't. The ironic thing was that we used to be able to afford pensions before the right wing dismantled the middle class and gave obscene tax breaks to the wealthy. It's like someone burned down your house and you want to pay the arsonist to burn down your neighbor's house too.

1616625092502.png

Too many.

Give me a number.

I'm sure you don't. The ironic thing was that we used to be able to afford pensions before the right wing dismantled the middle class and gave obscene tax breaks to the wealthy. It's like someone burned down your house and you want to pay the arsonist to burn down your neighbor's house too.

View attachment 471880

Boohoo go cry to Biden.

Too many.

Give me a number.

View attachment 471880

The ironic thing was that we used to be able to afford pensions

Sure. When you had a lot more private sector workers and a lot fewer public sector workers and before the public sector discovered they could get away with pension spiking and other abuses, it was a lot more affordable.

It's like someone burned down your house and you want to pay the arsonist to burn down your neighbor's house too.

Exactly! But enough about public sector unions burning down Illinois.

Sure. When you had a lot more private sector workers and a lot fewer public sector workers and before the public sector discovered they could get away with pension spiking and other abuses, it was a lot more affordable.

That was the point. The private sector made good enough money where we could afford a public sector, and the rich paid their fair share.

That was the point. The private sector made good enough money where we could afford a public sector, and the rich paid their fair share.

No, the point was added longevity, more union retirees, more pension abuse and less funding of pensions by politicians who knew they'd be gone by the time they blew up, has made public employee pensions so unaffordable that everyone can see it now.

Don't change the Illinois Constitution to allow graduated income tax rates, change the Illinois Constitution to allow pension reform.

Typical conservative education rant....teachers professors shouldn't make decent money....but me....I should. I want this I want that...without having to pay for it. Followed by "this generation doesn't want to work". Capped off by "millennials are lazy" and on and on and nauseum.

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

What else do you propose the government place price controls on? The rising costs of housing? Rent? Cell phones? Cars? CEO pay?

We have to bail out business all the time, why not controls to address this?
No, just stop guaranteeing student loans.

With a full guarantee, and bankruptcy exemption, lenders are much more willing to cough up hundreds of thousands of dollars on highly risky young individuals. Because that much funding is available, universities are free to jack up prices to as high as lenders are willing to provide.

No more bankruptcy exemptions for lenders on student loans.

Then, when no one can afford to pay the astronomical, ever increasing, student tuition rates, the prices will necessarily drop.

Once again, government causes a problem, and everyone is asking government to fix the problem.

Government should undo what it has already done. Nothing more.

Typical conservative education rant....teachers professors shouldn't make decent money....but me....I should. I want this I want that...without having to pay for it. Followed by "this generation doesn't want to work". Capped off by "millennials are lazy" and on and on and nauseum.
professors and other educators should get paid what they're worth.

They should not get guaranteed lending to their students so that they can charge astronomical prices.

The fact that you can't see how this is a huge scam tells me all I need to know about your intellect.

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

What else do you propose the government place price controls on? The rising costs of housing? Rent? Cell phones? Cars? CEO pay?

I'll agree to this when we stop guaranteeing stock market profits by the pumping of billions.

I'll agree to this when we stop guaranteeing stock market profits by the pumping of billions.
Agreed. Done.

One big reason that college tuition keeps rising is that government is heavily subsidizing college tuition. I bet universities would find ways to lower tuition rates if the federal government and state governments reduced grant and loan amounts to any school with tuition over, say, $250 per credit hour. Or, if the criteria to qualify for grants were changed so that grants were only given to students from households that earn less than, say, $75K per year, I'd bet good money that you'd see many universities adjust their tuition rates downward.

No, the point was added longevity, more union retirees, more pension abuse and less funding of pensions by politicians who knew they'd be gone by the time they blew up, has made public employee pensions so unaffordable that everyone can see it now.

Don't change the Illinois Constitution to allow graduated income tax rates, change the Illinois Constitution to allow pension reform.

Sorry, man, making the rich pay their fair share is what we always should have done.

The only reason why it became unaffordable is that we shifted all the wealth to the rich and then refused to tax them.

One big reason that college tuition keeps rising is that government is heavily subsidizing college tuition. I bet universities would find ways to lower tuition rates if the federal government and state governments reduced grant and loan amounts to any school with tuition over, say, $250 per credit hour. Or, if the criteria to qualify for grants were changed so that grants were only given to students from households that earn less than, say, $75K per year, I'd bet good money that you'd see many universities adjust their tuition rates downward.

Math has never been your strong suit, Axis Mikey.

Sorry, man, making the rich pay their fair share is what we always should have done.

The only reason why it became unaffordable is that we shifted all the wealth to the rich and then refused to tax them.

The rich already are in Illinois.
4.95%

College is a business. Like all businesses, their prices are based on supply and demand. As more and more people wanted to get a college education, the price increased.

It's true the rich don't pay their fair share. They pay way more than their fair share. The top 20% pay almost 90% of all collected income taxes.

Forum List

Back