Instead of Demanding Student Loan Forgiveness, Why Don't Liberals Demand Price Controls on College Tuition?

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

Excellent point. The Liberals don't want that. They want their people …… professors and administrators...….. making big salaries and indoctrinating young college minds. They don't give a flying fuck about students and families sacrificing financially to meet the financial demands of Big Education. I've said this before and will continue, the notion of asking working taxpayers to pick up the tab of some entitled brat who CHOSE to bite off egregious debt to fly three time zones across the country to attend an expensive private college and concentrate in a field of study that has little or no demand in the workforce when they graduate is insulting. If you can't afford that, get a scholarship or DON'T take on a lot of debt and get a degree in a field for which you can make a living, pay off more manageable debt, by attending a mix of community and in-state institutions.

If you can't afford that, get a scholarship or DON'T take on a lot of debt and get a degree in a field for which you can make a living, pay off more manageable debt, by attending a mix of community and in-state institutions.

Or join the military and serve enough time to get those benefits.

I didn't besmirch truck drivers. You seem to be feeling a but put off it seems because doctors actually do also benefit society AND we also fund CDL classes. If you are unemployed the unemployment offices in many places will fund your CDL classes.

I drove a truck for 30 years and never heard of that. Government may give you a loan, but they're not going to fund it for you. Even if they did, it's only a few thousand dollars compared to a few hundred thousand dollars.

I find it odd that liberals want the federal government to forgive/cancel student loan debt but never say anything about controlling the skyrocketing cost of college tuition. I guess since most universities are run by liberals, liberals don't want to rock their boat and spoil their gravy train. Rather, they want the rest of us to foot the bill for students who don't want to pay back their student loans.

Excellent point. The Liberals don't want that. They want their people …… professors and administrators...….. making big salaries and indoctrinating young college minds. They don't give a flying fuck about students and families sacrificing financially to meet the financial demands of Big Education. I've said this before and will continue, the notion of asking working taxpayers to pick up the tab of some entitled brat who CHOSE to bite off egregious debt to fly three time zones across the country to attend an expensive private college and concentrate in a field of study that has little or no demand in the workforce when they graduate is insulting. If you can't afford that, get a scholarship or DON'T take on a lot of debt and get a degree in a field for which you can make a living, pay off more manageable debt, by attending a mix of community and in-state institutions.
They are the party of the rich.

I didn't besmirch truck drivers. You seem to be feeling a but put off it seems because doctors actually do also benefit society AND we also fund CDL classes. If you are unemployed the unemployment offices in many places will fund your CDL classes.

I drove a truck for 30 years and never heard of that. Government may give you a loan, but they're not going to fund it for you. Even if they did, it's only a few thousand dollars compared to a few hundred thousand dollars.

Whether you have heard of it or not is irrelevant.

WorkForce West Virginia - Step 4: Get Training

For one, that's a state site not a federal. Two, it says that financial aid is available which I already said. Financial aid are loans and grants, and maybe if you are very low income, they might have state funding.

For one, that's a state site not a federal. Two, it says that financial aid is available which I already said. Financial aid are loans and grants, and maybe if you are very low income, they might have state funding.

It says far more than "financial aid".

Price controls are a great idea, although my slightly left of center political leanings would limit it to any college or university that receives public funding.
You don't even need to do that shit, which has proven to be disastrous (price controls). Just cut all bankruptcy exemptions and let people discharge that debt. Problem solved. No exorbitant lending will be given for shit education that is worthless (the real problem). Prices will control themselves.

I wouldn't call a 3009% increase in the cost of college from 1969 to 2019 any sort of self control. That's an average of 7% per year which is ridiculous.
Average Cost of College Has Jumped an Incredible 3,009% in 50 Years (yahoo.com)

Last edited:
Price controls are a great idea, although my slightly left of center political leanings would limit it to any college or university that receives public funding.
You don't even need to do that shit, which has proven to be disastrous (price controls). Just cut all bankruptcy exemptions and let people discharge that debt. Problem solved. No exorbitant lending will be given for shit education that is worthless (the real problem). Prices will control themselves.

I wouldn't call a 3009% increase in the cost of college from 1969 to 2019 any sort of self control. That's an average of 7% per year which is ridiculous.
Average Cost of College Has Jumped an Incredible 3,009% in 50 Years (yahoo.com)
and why haven't the demofks said something in legislation? Seems odd.

College is a business. Like all businesses, their prices are based on supply and demand. As more and more people wanted to get a college education, the price increased.

It's true the rich don't pay their fair share. They pay way more than their fair share. The top 20% pay almost 90% of all collected income taxes.

They have 87% of the wealth, and a lot more than they need. They should.

You leave out all the other taxes that working class people pay that the rich really don't.

The same way they are instituting rent control in cities and states. If government has the power to limit people on what they can charge for rent, then they have the power to cap salary for teachers and professors.

Uh, dude, we have professors on fucking FOOD STAMPS now.

The money isn't going to the professors, stupid.

Over three quarters of college professors are adjunct. Legally, adjunct positions are part-time, at-will employment. Universities pay adjunct professors by the course, anywhere between $1,000 to $5,000. So if a professor teaches three courses in both the fall and spring semesters at a rate of $3000 per course, they'll make $18,000 dollars. The average full-time barista makes the same yearly wage. However, a full-time adjunct works more than 40 hours a week. They're not paid for most of those hours.

“If it's a three credit course, you're paid for your time in the classroom only,” said Merklein. “So everything else you do is by donation. If you hold office hours, those you're doing for free. Your grading you do for free. ... Anything we do with the student where we sit down and explain what happened when the student was absent, that's also free labor. Some would call it wage theft because these are things we have to do in order to keep our jobs. We have to do things we're not getting paid for. It's not optional.”

For instance college is much less affordable than years ago when you could get out of high school and right into college. I tell young parents today the very first thing they should do for that baby is open up a college growth account, contribute to it when possible, and in 18 years, you can have at least some of the college money up front.

Yeah, because people take financial advice from the guy who lives in a slum and collects welfare and never had to raise a kid.

Okay, here's the problem with that theory. As I said, when I went to UIC back in the 1980's, right after High School, I paid about $1500 a year. I worked two minimum wage jobs for about 35 hours a week. This was enough to pay tuition. You could pay tuition working 10 hours a week at a Min Wage job. I didn't have to because I was also in the National Guard at that time and they picked up tuition. (I later went active duty after college and frankly, got a lot more out of the Army than I did out of college.)

The reason why that was possible was back in the day, most of U of I's operating expenses were picked up by the state.

Today, most of the cost of a university like UIC is shouldered by the students. Tuition is about $13,000 a year for in-state students. You'd have to work a minimum wage job for 30 hours a week. .

There is no law that states you have to go to college from high school. If you can, live at home for a couple of years working a full-time job. Save all your money, and then enter college at the age of 21. You can still work part-time during the school year, and full-time again when school is out. It's also beneficial because kids have no real world experience when deciding what they'd like to do for the rest of their life. Getting out into the work field exposes them to different people and professions. It gives them time to think as an adult thus allowing them to make better choices when choosing a field of work.

Again, you are someone who never went to college, and whose whole professional competency was driving a truck, which the government won't let you do now because you are a danger to yourself and others.

you are the last one to give career advice.

The problem with that is once you are out of school, it's often kind of a pain to get back into the mode of studying.

Excellent point. The Liberals don't want that. They want their people …… professors and administrators...….. making big salaries and indoctrinating young college minds.

3/4 of professors at universities are adjunct, they aren't making big salaries.

They don't give a flying fuck about students and families sacrificing financially to meet the financial demands of Big Education. I've said this before and will continue, the notion of asking working taxpayers to pick up the tab of some entitled brat who CHOSE to bite off egregious debt to fly three time zones across the country to attend an expensive private college and concentrate in a field of study that has little or no demand in the workforce when they graduate is insulting.

Except most of the majors people pick DO have demand in the workforce. Here, let me help you out... Here's a list of the

Business and Management289,384Best Colleges for Business
2Nursing141,632Best Colleges for Nursing
3Psychology127,066Best Colleges for Psychology
4Biology120,375Best Colleges for Biology
5Engineering117,553Best Colleges for Engineering
6Education102,219Best Colleges for Education
7Communications98,949Best Colleges for Communications
8Finance and Accounting98,663Best Colleges for Accounting
9Criminal Justice63,961Best Colleges for Criminal Justice
10Anthropology and Sociology57,630Best Colleges for Anthropology

Excellent point. The Liberals don't want that. They want their people …… professors and administrators...….. making big salaries and indoctrinating young college minds.

3/4 of professors at universities are adjunct, they aren't making big salaries.

They don't give a flying fuck about students and families sacrificing financially to meet the financial demands of Big Education. I've said this before and will continue, the notion of asking working taxpayers to pick up the tab of some entitled brat who CHOSE to bite off egregious debt to fly three time zones across the country to attend an expensive private college and concentrate in a field of study that has little or no demand in the workforce when they graduate is insulting.

Except most of the majors people pick DO have demand in the workforce. Here, let me help you out... Here's a list of the

Business and Management289,384Best Colleges for Business
2Nursing141,632Best Colleges for Nursing
3Psychology127,066Best Colleges for Psychology
4Biology120,375Best Colleges for Biology
5Engineering117,553Best Colleges for Engineering
6Education102,219Best Colleges for Education
7Communications98,949Best Colleges for Communications
8Finance and Accounting98,663Best Colleges for Accounting
9Criminal Justice63,961Best Colleges for Criminal Justice
10Anthropology and Sociology57,630Best Colleges for Anthropology

The core of my argument on kids and families taking on too much debt are the ones who are traveling far away and/or choosing private or out of state colleges when they can focus on local and in- state to keep debt down.

The core of my argument on kids and families taking on too much debt are the ones who are traveling far away and/or choosing private or out of state colleges when they can focus on local and in- state to keep debt down.

Then why did you throw in the parts about "Greedy professors" and "Useless majors". So two parts of your argument were factually incorrect. Most professors don't make that much, and most kids are picking useful majors.

So, yes, a lot of kids will travel out of state to get a college education when it might be smarter to live at home and go local. That's kind of what I did. And I had to deal with all the family drama that went on in that time period, and the local college I went to doesn't have the prestige.

Yes, I went to UIC, which is not as prestigious as UI in Urbana. The University of Phoenix might be cheaper than Harvard, but Harvard opens a hell of a lot of more doors.

We might get to the point where OnLine universities are just as good as Ivy League schools... but that's not the case now.

Then why did you throw in the parts about "Greedy professors" and "Useless majors". So two parts of your argument were factually incorrect. Most professors don't make that much, and most kids are picking useful majors.

So, yes, a lot of kids will travel out of state to get a college education when it might be smarter to live at home and go local. That's kind of what I did. And I had to deal with all the family drama that went on in that time period, and the local college I went to doesn't have the prestige.

Yes, I went to UIC, which is not as prestigious as UI in Urbana. The University of Phoenix might be cheaper than Harvard, but Harvard opens a hell of a lot of more doors.

We might get to the point where OnLine universities are just as good as Ivy League schools... but that's not the case now.

What is your basis for “most professors don’t make that much?” How about the whole notion of “tenured professors” where entitled not to be terminated for performance?

Uh, dude, we have professors on fucking FOOD STAMPS now.

The money isn't going to the professors, stupid.

In a recent survey, they based the average salary of a college professor at $63,000 a year, plus very good benefits. Like any other profession, you work your way to better jobs if you are worth a shit. A community college professor is not going to make anything near what a professor at Yale makes.

Now if you weren't stupid, you would have read the exchange instead of just reading my comment and shooting your mouth off. I never said government should limit what a professor should make. The person I made the comment to was asking how government could actually limit professors salaries. I was merely giving an example. I believe and have always believed that a person should be be paid whatever the market will allow. That means if Walmart can pay a person $7.50 to sweep floors, then that's what they should pay, just like I think if a college professor can make $500,000 a year, the that's what they should get paid if the market allows it.

Okay, here's the problem with that theory. As I said, when I went to UIC back in the 1980's, right after High School, I paid about $1500 a year. I worked two minimum wage jobs for about 35 hours a week. This was enough to pay tuition. You could pay tuition working 10 hours a week at a Min Wage job. I didn't have to because I was also in the National Guard at that time and they picked up tuition. (I later went active duty after college and frankly, got a lot more out of the Army than I did out of college.)

The reason why that was possible was back in the day, most of U of I's operating expenses were picked up by the state.

Today, most of the cost of a university like UIC is shouldered by the students. Tuition is about $13,000 a year for in-state students. You'd have to work a minimum wage job for 30 hours a week. .

No, the problem is really supply and demand. When I was a kid, in a classroom of about 35 students, maybe ten or fifteen actually went to college. Today, nearly everybody in a class goes. Back in the 70's, you could get out of high school and make very good money being a UPS driver, work at an auto plant, work in the steel mills. College was not a necessity as it is today because there were a lot of blue collar jobs that one could easily make a living at.

Today, many blue collar jobs are lower pay. This is why people need an education or trade to make it in the US. Nobody is going to pay you 50K a year plus great benefits to turn nuts onto bolts, or to inspect parts from a die stamp machine.

Again, you are someone who never went to college, and whose whole professional competency was driving a truck, which the government won't let you do now because you are a danger to yourself and others.

Yes, because your Gods (bureaucrats) stated so. Much like you, they know more than the doctors.

You don't have to go to college to look at a problem and come up with a reasonable solution. I didn't go to college, but my niece and nephew have. They were in debt until their early 30's, and my sister and her ex the same way for taking out loans on top of the loans their kids took. If not for their very wealthy Uncle passing away (a college teacher) two years ago, they would probably have been in debt into their late 30s.

I don't live in the past like you do. People change, society changes, circumstances change, and you have to find solutions to the problems these changes may bring. As Ronald Reagan once said, government is not the solution to our problem--government is the problem. My suggestion of living at home for a couple years and going to college later may not be the total solution, but it's a better solution than going into debt for four years, and having to pay on that debt for 15 or 20 years.

Forum List

Back