Internal Walmart Document Reveals Policy Of Paying Poverty Wages

By Alice Hines and Christina Wilkie

Two years ago, when she started working at the deli counter of a Walmart in Illinois, Lisa hoped that her job would amount to the beginning of a career, one that would pay enough to cover her bills and enable her to stay current on her student loan debt.

But despite one raise since, Lisa, who asked that only her first name be used, now earns just $9.10 an hour, or about $13,000 a year on part-time hours. Seven months pregnant, she recently filed for bankruptcy. With no alternatives at hand, Walmart now seems like a dead-end to poverty, she says.

"I don’t have underwear without holes in them," she said. "Everyone at work wears T-shirts that are threadbare. I have just enough to eat and get gas to make it to work for the next two weeks."

Lisa's experience sheds light on why a group claiming to represent tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide is planning strikes and other labor actions at as many as 1,000 stores next week on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The actions are intended to protest what the group says are meager wages.

More: Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

Please without embarrassing yourself further, you do know that Michelle works with them?

Two years ago, when she started working at the deli counter of a Walmart in Illinois, Lisa hoped that her job would amount to the beginning of a career, one that would pay enough to cover her bills and enable her to stay current on her student loan debt.

But despite one raise since, Lisa, who asked that only her first name be used, now earns just $9.10 an hour, or about $13,000 a year on part-time hours. Seven months pregnant, she recently filed for bankruptcy. With no alternatives at hand, Walmart now seems like a dead-end to poverty, she says.

"I don’t have underwear without holes in them," she said. "Everyone at work wears T-shirts that are threadbare. I have just enough to eat and get gas to make it to work for the next two weeks."

Lisa's experience sheds light on why a group claiming to represent tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide is planning strikes and other labor actions at as many as 1,000 stores next week on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The actions are intended to protest what the group says are meager wages.

More: Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

Please without embarrassing yourself further, you do know that Michelle works with them?

How does she "works with them"? She once sat on the board of one of its major suppliers.

WTF does the healthy foods program have to do with any of this?

Now lets talk real. Walmart rolled into this town called Woodstock. Beiber territory.

They need to bring in a few million self check outs. This is how you handle the unions.

Does Walmart have a union?

Yes.

Robots will end human labor. Humans are fucked.

6a00d8341c5adc53ef012875cbecaa970c-800wi

Man this town was so broke. But the Walmart rolled in. It was unreal. People of course got employed at the store, but then all the other small stores started getting action. Second hand stores started rocking. Boy oh boy because people were employed other people started spending money.

Now Walmart is completely lib these days but they still rock.

Forum List

Back