Ireland almost eliminates its Seante

dcraelin

VIP Member
Sep 4, 2013
Senate I mean

Ireland almost eliminated its Senate which would have saved it ~28million a year, according to WSJ. Vote just barely failed.

This is something we should try in this country

The Upper houses of France and the UK are mostly redundant also.

In France the National Assembly can override almost all decisions of the Senate if it wants to, which makes the Senate most just symbolic.

In UK the House of Lords was a quasi-supreme court kind of entity which had no power at all to stop laws.

Good luck on that. It would require an amendment to the Constitution which would have to be approved by the Senate in question.

Or a constutitional convention approved by legislature of 2/3 of the state. I would be for another constitutional convention as long as the bill of rights was off limits!

Good luck on that. It would require an amendment to the Constitution which would have to be approved by the Senate in question.

Or a constutitional convention approved by legislature of 2/3 of the state. I would be for another constitutional convention as long as the bill of rights was off limits!

Sorry but a Constitutional Convention has no restrictions It is free to write an entirely new Constitution.

a professor Robert Natelson has researched constitutional conventions and the founders idea of agency. He has found that a limited convention is possible and I believe even expected.

The idea that a convention has to be open-ended is just a myth.

and the only reason even then that the Ireland measure did fail was probably due to the fact the in exchange voters would have been giving an extremely unpopular prime minister more control for austerity cuts.

Last edited:

Sorry but a Constitutional Convention has no restrictions It is free to write an entirely new Constitution.

Seeing that this Constitution failed to keep tyranny in check, I'd say we're due for one.

Not I. I wouldn't trust any of these buffoons to write a plan for a lemonade stand.

Not I. I wouldn't trust any of these buffoons to write a plan for a lemonade stand.

well a constitutional convention would not necessarily have "these Buffoons" writing it. I believe the first ratifying conventions deliberately excluded even the state legislatures. AND, Like I said above the idea that it has to be open ended is a myth.

the house also could use some reform, the number of constituents to representatives is way up since the founding.

Senate I mean

Ireland almost eliminated its Senate which would have saved it ~28million a year, according to WSJ. Vote just barely failed.

This is something we should try in this country

Best idea ever... The Senate is totally useless in this day and age. And keep in mind; the Senate is liberal at this point and I'm pretty liberal.

The Senate has brought its demise upon itself. Lets get rid of it.

The Senate is totally useless in this day and age. And keep in mind; the Senate is liberal at this point and I'm pretty liberal.
The Senate has brought its demise upon itself. Lets get rid of it.
I dont think the Senate is truly liberal, it is protectionist of special interests. Eliminating it is certainly something people should be discussing.

I also found a website that advocates keeping the house rep/constituent ratio closer to the way it was at the founding. Turns out their was another amendment proposed along with the bill of rights the intent of which was to do just that. Reason didnt go forward was it was poorly worded. Thirty-Thousand.org - Return the House of Representatives to the People (Home Page)

a proposal by a John Cox in California would increase representatives 100 fold. Local representatives would elect same amount that go to capital. ...Wish it was more at capital too tho this sounds like a promising reform.

Forum List

Back