Is automatic voter registration Unconstitutional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it is unconstitutional but then again the right to vote exists for all American citizens so the idea that you have to register might be unconstitutional.

The state needs to know where you will vote and what local elections are eligible to vote in

There shouldn't be "voter registration" in the United States.

Bear with me here...

Citizen data should be integrated between:
  • State Department of Vital Statistics (births, deaths, etc.)
  • Federal Department of State (Naturalizations)
  • State and Federal Courts (disenfranchizement due to felony conviction or determination of mental incompetance)
  • State Departments of State (restoration of franchise after felony removal)
We, as a government responsibility, should already know who are citizens and their voter eligibility.

The only need should be address changes.

WW

On a related note I feel the same way about filing taxes.

I don't see why it has to be before

So that I do not go vote in a city election for a city where I do not live.

If you vote by mail/absentee the state needs to know which city/county ballot to send you.

So that I do not go vote in a city election for a city where I do not live.

If you vote by mail/absentee the state needs to know which city/county ballot to send you.

All you have to do is show your ID and they can tell you to leave.

And if you are getting an absentee ballot then the city government knows where you live so they can check when they get the ballot like they do now anyway.

And if you are getting an absentee ballot then the city government knows where you live so they can check when they get the ballot like they do now anyway.

They have to send you the correct ballot, or send you one for every township/city in the state so you have the right one.

Seems them knowing ahead of time is far simpler than them sending me 1000 different ballots and having me pick the right one

They have to send you the correct ballot, or send you one for every township/city in the state so you have the right one.

Seems them knowing ahead of time is far simpler than them sending me 1000 different ballots and having me pick the right one

The town already knows your address so they already have all the information needed to send you the correct ballot.

So you still have to call the state board of elections and give them your home address don't you?

That is done when you register to vote.

Where I live after we moved last Oct we changed our drivers license address and at the same time updated our voter registration mailing address at the same time.

Simple and efficient way to do it.

Bear with me here...

• State and Federal Courts (disenfranchizement due to felony conviction or determination of mental incompetance)
We, as a government responsibility, should already know who are citizens and their voter eligibility.

WW
"We, as a government.."? No wonder you have this big brother vision for "citizen data".

That is done when you register to vote.

Where I live after we moved last Oct we changed our drivers license address and at the same time updated our voter registration mailing address at the same time.

Simple and efficient way to do it.
you have to request an absentee ballot when you request that ballot you have to give your home address

Bear with me here...

WW
Sorta the way it works in Canada, we have completely independent bodies that over see elections. Election Canada and Election<insert province name>. When I fill out my Federal income tax, I check a box that authorizes CRA to share my data with Election Canada. They in turn pass that info to Election Ontario. Municipal elections draw on the Election Ontario database. So unless I moved between filing my income tax and election day, I'm on the right rolls. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back