Is God "most" powerful Or all-powerful?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
Well, the thread title pretty much sums it up. What do you folks think?
My view falls into the camp of "most powerful".

I view YHWH as "most powerful", as in the most powerful God, among many Gods and Goddesses.

I worship YHWH as a Master of Destruction and a Master of Creation.

Is a pirate who never commits acts of piracy a pirate? If God exists, he's worse than the current do-nothing Congress. Compared to the god described in the Jewish Tanach, this supposed god never seems to do anything deserving of the title 'god.' Whereas its interactions in scriptures were overt and unmistakable, now it seems to either do everything covert and subtley, or never existed in the first place.

The two descriptors are distinct.

Most powerful says other entities have power (we have power) but that god is more powerful than anyone else.

All powerful says that god has all powers to an infinite degree.

All powerful would include most powerful. Being most powerful does not require being all powerful.

That said, I have to agree with Delta4Embassy that the question is moot in that god has failed to demonstrate he has any powers whatsoever. To the limits of human observation the assumption that a god exists makes no difference to the state of the universe we see around us. That is, he could exist, but if he does, he does absolutely nothing.

It is said God is omnipotent--and the definition of omnipotent is possessing all power that is available. This eliminates the cliche question, "Is God so powerful He can create something not even He could lift?" Therefore, like you, I tend to lean towards the most powerful.

Is a pirate who never commits acts of piracy a pirate? If God exists, he's worse than the current do-nothing Congress. Compared to the god described in the Jewish Tanach, this supposed god never seems to do anything deserving of the title 'god.' Whereas its interactions in scriptures were overt and unmistakable, now it seems to either do everything covert and subtley, or never existed in the first place.

King David wrote psalms extolling and crediting God for all the great successes he had. I wonder if atheists back in those days ever walked up to David and said, "Where is your evidence? Why do you credit God instead of your army and your advisers? And your prophets who claim to have had contact or experiences with God: Couldn't it be a strange brain chemistry that makes those experiences only seem real?"

Today there are people, who like David, extol the blessings God has brought to their life. They are immediately criticized for not having any evidence. Critics demand that they answer if God did this in their life, why are their children in cancer wards. Brain chemistry explains all, and therefore any actual experience of God is summarily dismissed (among unbelievers). And, couldn't what is said to be a blessing be a mere coincidence--or couldn't an actual person, not God be credited?

King David wrote psalms extolling and crediting God for all the great successes he had. I wonder if atheists back in those days ever walked up to David and said, "Where is your evidence? Why do you credit God instead of your army and your advisers? And your prophets who claim to have had contact or experiences with God: Couldn't it be a strange brain chemistry that makes those experiences only seem real?"

Today there are people, who like David, extol the blessings God has brought to their life. They are immediately criticized for not having any evidence. Critics demand that they answer if God did this in their life, why are their children in cancer wards. Brain chemistry explains all, and therefore any actual experience of God is summarily dismissed (among unbelievers). And, couldn't what is said to be a blessing be a mere coincidence--or couldn't an actual person, not God be credited?

Is wanting evidence so unreasonable when your religions impose additional laws and regulations onto people? Wanna rule and subjugate people on behalf of a god ya better be able to prove that your god actually exists.

Who made god? He'd be the powerful one.

Is wanting evidence so unreasonable when your religions impose additional laws and regulations onto people? Wanna rule and subjugate people on behalf of a god ya better be able to prove that your god actually exists.

I would need an example of what you believe are the additional laws and regulations to which you feel religion is imposing and subjugating people.

Considering that God(of the Bible) can have plans/actions delayed by something weaker than him, it is safer to say most powerful.

But some say there are no other gods but the one god. So why is god "most powerful" when there are no other gods to cmpare?

Considering that God(of the Bible) can have plans/actions delayed by something weaker than him, it is safer to say most powerful.

But some say there are no other gods but the one god. So why is god "most powerful" when there are no other gods to cmpare?

Christianity doesn't like to consider other godlike beings such as Seraphim, Cherubim, Archangels, Fallen Angels, Primordial Chaos beings, Demons, Djinn, or the Devil to actually be "gods"...

Even though the Christian pantheon consists of a great many supernatural beings with godlike abilities...

Christianity doesn't like to consider other godlike beings such as Seraphim, Cherubim, Archangels, Fallen Angels, Primordial Chaos beings, Demons, Djinn, or the Devil to actually be "gods"...

All angels fall under the power and jurisdiction of the one, all-powerful God.

@Drifting Sand

So supposing he is all-powerful; that means any act conceivable to man, is capable of God?

Oh, some kind of fantasy thread.....the idea of a god seems to have some traction, even if none exists.

All angels fall under the power and jurisdiction of the one, all-powerful God.

Other Mesopotamian Gods that fell under the power and jurisdiction of Marduk were still acknowledged as Gods.

Other Greek Gods that fell under the power and jurisdiction of Zeus were still referred to as Gods.

Even the Devil is acknowledged as a God in the Bible... in fact, Satan is referred to as "The God of this Earth".

I consider many Angels and Demons to be Gods, even though I truly worship only YHWH.

I acknowledge the existence of other Gods outside the Christian pantheon, even though I recognize YHWH as the greatest of all the Gods.

@Drifting Sand

So supposing he is all-powerful; that means any act conceivable to man, is capable of God?

Comparing man to God is folly. God's ways are not man's ways:

Isaiah 55:8, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."

Psalms 40:5, "Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."

Forum List

Back