Is healthcare a right? why or why not?

First of all, who's "we", Sparkles? Second of all, what is it about more of the same thing that CAUSED the high prices that's supposed to FIX them?

BTW completely tangential but do you use our sig pic to try to disarm your male debaters?

Just curiuos

Your fixations and obsessions are YOUR problems, not mine. Is this really going to be the first time that anyone has told you that women often live their lives and make their choices according to their own feelings and preferences, rather than according to what some man might or might not think?

If life was invaluable....we would never call of search and rescue missions.

I am afraid that prevention of dying is not seen as warranting unlimited resources.

You are mixing the ability of an unemotional societal policy to make a decision and an individual to make a decision.

I would argue that yes as a society we can form a rational demand curve and make cost effective medical choices if we aren't attacked for creating death panels. I would argue as a society we need to make this choice. However, the choices we make today are based on who votes not what is the best decision for the society.

That however is different than an individaul who is emotionally tied in being able to make the same decision and operate in "rational" market context. Remember an underlying assumption of supply and demand is that markets are rational which clearly goes out the window in the case of a sick loved one. Especially if that loved one has not "lived a full life"

I've already presented a concept that would address both.

Agree, the only way you get a vertical demand line is if you only have one source of supply and no alternatives. Mostly that is not the case, and even if it were the free market system would be no worse than any other alternative.

That is absolutlely wrong. You would get an F in Freshman Macro economics. You can create a demand curve independent of supply. Having a supply only causes a market price to be specified.

What creates a demand curve is solely the different willingness among market players to forgo a service based on its price. End of Story. It has nothing to do with supply.

In real life demand curves do not exist independently of the supply curve. That is how the price is determined, no? AND, the alternatives a consumer might choose in place of the product or service has an influence too. That is why a drug company cannot charge a million bucks a pop for a unique drug treatment, few could aford it. I really don't think there are any cases where a purely vertical demand curve exists for anything, certainly not in the medical services field.

Demands curves are demand curves. In a market demand curves combine with supply curves to specify a price. And alternatives can affect the price at which a person will forgo an offering. But at the end of the day the demand curve is derived by people's willingness forgo consumption. Supply has nothing to do with the shape of the demand curve.

First of all, who's "we", Sparkles? Second of all, what is it about more of the same thing that CAUSED the high prices that's supposed to FIX them?

BTW completely tangential but do you use our sig pic to try to disarm your male debaters?

Just curiuos

Your fixations and obsessions are YOUR problems, not mine. Is this really going to be the first time that anyone has told you that women often live their lives and make their choices according to their own feelings and preferences, rather than according to what some man might or might not think?

Easy there Celilia not my fixation and nor obsession. Your choices are certainly your own just curious why you chose to put something that personal front and center.

Just curiuos

Easy there Celilia not my fixation and nor obsession. Your choices are certainly your own just curious why you chose to put something that personal front and center.

First of all, Einstein, my name is Cecilie. It's right there on your screen in front of you, so I fail to see why it's so difficult to get it correct. I also find myself wondering why I should listen to the "wisdom" of someone who can't copy a name from their own screen.

Second of all, how is a picture of Betty Page "personal"? She's a famous pin-up icon from the past, with a rather large cult following. Would you consider it "personal" if I chose a pin-up of Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russell instead as my avatar? Maybe you ought to stop projecting your own strange worldviews onto everyone else.

No one should have the right to receive services provided by someone else. You should be entitled to whatever you can provide for yourself, and that's it.

Is healthcare a right? why or why not?
Not.

By definition, rights don't impose any obligation upon anyone else to exercise them...The right to free speech doesn't impart an obligation upon anyone else to buy me a megaphone or printing press...My right to bear arms doesn't mean that you have to buy me a gun.

Claiming it as a right would impose obligations upon doctors to treat everyone and everyone and impose the obligation upon me to pay for someone else's medical treatment(s).

Ya , definitely health care is right because without care,you could suffering from many diseases.

Access to health care is a right.

Nobody is obligated to give it to you.

Never have been.

And under Obamacare they still won't be.

If you don't want to buy insurance, you pay some kind of fine. So the money you could be using to pay for care is going to pay for Nancy Pelosi's Botox injections.

Affordable healthcare should be a right. We should not be a society where - regarding basic healthcare needs - people are less healthy simply because they're poor. That is uncivilized.

Affordable healthcare should be a right. We should not be a society where - regarding basic healthcare needs - people are less healthy simply because they're poor. That is uncivilized.
Your opinions as to what is or isn't "civilized" and irrelevant red herrings as to what should or shouldn't be, are notwithstanding that rights -properly defined- do not and cannot impose an obligation upon someone else to perform some act, in order for you to have the given right.

Grow the hell up.

Last edited:
Why o why would we not make food a right before we make healthcare a right ?

I love the way the left pushes the idea (with Obama's help) that somehow they are entitled to even more.

This is America...we fought to get away from the English. If we wanted their way of doing things....we'd still be English.

I don't think most of the "health care should be a right" people are taking the idea of rights very seriously. They're simply expressing a desire to make health care something the government provides ("for free").

I don't think most of the "health care should be a right" people are taking the idea of rights very seriously. They're simply expressing a desire to make health care something the government provides ("for free").

I agree they don't even know what rights are.

To them rights are the ability to screw the rich to pay for their drug habits.

I do not see how you can have a right to someone else's knowledge, ability, and skill.

Forum List

Back