Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?

The article misstated the original published scientific paper.

Read the paper. It's been peer reviewed and published.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...neath_Hiawatha_Glacier_in_northwest_Greenland

I read the paper ... it doesn't substantiate any of the claims made by you or the article in the OP ...

You found some click-bait and posted it without checking the facts ... and you got burned ... "1,500 gigatons" sounds sciency and scary but it never crossed your mind just God-awful lot of water that is ... nor the immense amount of energy to vaporize that from ice ... just nuts ... 2.6 megajoules per kilogram (a little over a liter of water) ...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...neath_Hiawatha_Glacier_in_northwest_Greenland

I read the paper ... it doesn't substantiate any of the claims made by you or the article in the OP ...

You found some click-bait and posted it without checking the facts ... and you got burned ... "1,500 gigatons" sounds sciency and scary but it never crossed your mind just God-awful lot odf water that is ... nor the immense amount of energy to vaporize that from ice ... just nuts ... 2.6 megajoules per kilogram (a little over a liter of water) ...
Again. you are literally arguing against a peer reviewed scientific paper. You even have seen the imaging of the crater with your own eyes.

You found some click-bait and posted it without checking the facts ... and you got burned ... "1,500 gigatons" sounds sciency and scary but it never crossed your mind just God-awful lot odf water that is ... nor the immense amount of energy to vaporize that from ice ... just nuts ... 2.6 megajoules per kilogram (a little over a liter of water) ...
Maybe you could do some more 8th grade math to calculate the displacement of the crater :lol:

4 km sea level drop ... sound bogus to me ... why do you think this is credible? ...
Where did I state that exactly? Are you confusing me with someone else?[/QUOTE]

You keep saying 1,500 gigatons of ice ... that's the mass of the top 4 km of all the world's oceans ... 8th grade math ...

Maybe you could do some more 8th grade math to calculate the displacement of the crater :lol:

I'll guess I'll have to because you sure as hell can't ... but that's not my point to make ... your claim, your math ...
You'd be surprised what I can do. I've already schooled you.

BTW, did you go back and redo your math with the correct energy? No. Because you can't bear to admit the numbers add up when you use ~3 × 10^21 J of energy which is from the published paper. Just move the decimal three places to the right. ;)

You'd be surprised what I can do. I've already schooled you.

BTW, did you go back and redo your math with the correct energy? No. Because you can't bear to admit the numbers add up when you use ~3 × 10^21 J of energy which is from the published paper. Just move the decimal three places to the right. ;)

See post #111 ...

You keep saying 1,500 gigatons of ice ... that's the mass of the top 4 km of all the world's oceans ... 8th grade math

Is this your calculation?

2.9 x 10^18 J ÷ 2.6 x 10^6 J/kg = 1.1 x 10^12 kg = 1.1 gigatons of ice vaporized

Yes.

Did you start with 2.9 x 10^18 J ?

Yes

Had you started with ~3 × 10^21 J, what would your answer have been?

So clearly your bullshit calculation about sea level rise is wrong. :lol:

So clearly your bullshit calculation about sea level rise is wrong.

I have shown my work ... point out the error ...

2.9 x 10^18 J ÷ 2.6 x 10^6 J/kg = 1.1 x 10^12 kg = 1.1 gigatons of ice vaporized

Yes.

Yes

So clearly your bullshit calculation about sea level rise is wrong because by your own calculation you would have reached 1500 gigatons of ice vaporized had you used ~3 × 10^21 J. Tell me I am wrong. Redo your calcs.

Yes.

Yes

So clearly your bullshit calculation about sea level rise is wrong because by your own calculation you would have reached 1500 gigatons of ice vaporized had you used ~3 × 10^21 J. Tell me I am wrong. Redo your calcs.

Again ... see post #111 ...

I think you screwed up your 8th grade math.

Think away ... do the math yourself ...
1500 gigatons = 2.2046 x 10^12 lbm/gigaton x 1500 gigatons = 3.3069 x 10^15 lbm of water

What volume would 1500 gigatons of water occupy?

Density of water is 62.37 lbm/cf

3.3069 x 10^15 lbm of water / 62.37 lbm/cf = 5.3021 x 10^13 cf of water

What depth would this volume occupy in the world's oceans?

Surface area of the oceans is 139.4 x 10^6 mi²

Converting mi² to ft² we get 139.4 x 10^6 mi² x 5280 ft/mi x 5280 ft/mi = 3.886 x 10^15 ft²

5.3021 x 10^13 cf of water / 3.886 x 10^15 ft² = 9.096 x 10^-6 ft

But you would like that in km, right?

So.... 9.096 x 10^-6 ft x 0.0003 km/ft = 2.729 x 10^-9 km

Last edited:

Forum List

Back