Is it time to increase the number of members in the US House of representatives?

Can a congress member represent 750,000 people effectively?
I don’t believe this is the correct question.

We are proving every two years thst we cannot come up with enough decent candidates to cover the political offices we already have. Imagine the absolute trash that you would have representing districts if you were to double or triple the number of districts that needed to be represented. Hell, I might be able to get elected in thst sort of situation.

I don’t believe this is the correct question.

We are proving every two years thst we cannot come up with enough decent candidates to cover the political offices we already have. Imagine the absolute trash that you would have representing districts if you were to double or triple the number of districts that needed to be represented. Hell, I might be able to get elected in thst sort of situation.

What can be done to attract better candidates?

The words of someone who wants everything his way, screw everybody else. That is what is wrong with the USA
The words of someone who wants the situation to go from bad to worse. More career politicians is not the answer.

Is it time to increase the number of members in the US House of representatives?

The U.S. House of Representatives has one voting member for every 747,000 or so Americans in 2023.

The U.S. House of Representatives has one voting member for every 250,000 or so Americans in 1923.

Can a congress member represent 750,000 people effectively?
We’ll need to when Puerto Rico and DC become states.

It was actually proposed as part of the original Bill of Rights, and almost ratified at one point. It's still pending, and would take effect if twenty-seven more states voted to ratify it.
So you have 11 states FOR it.
Let me guess; CA, NY, WA, RI, NJ, MD, CT, MA, ME, VT, NH???

The other 39 will probably NOT support it, ever.

Without looking it up, I'd say that you are almost certainly incorrect in counting CA and WA as states having voted to ratify, as they did not become states until long after this was proposed.

And now, looking to the Wikipedia article, I see the following states listed as having voted to ratify…

Ratification history​

States that ratified the amendment​
Having been approved by Congress, the twelve Bill of Rights amendments were sent to the states for ratification. This proposed amendment was the first listed of the twelve and was ratified by the legislatures of the following states:​
  1. New Jersey: November 20, 1789
  2. Maryland: December 19, 1789
  3. North Carolina: December 22, 1789
  4. South Carolina: January 19, 1790
  5. New Hampshire: January 25, 1790
  6. New York: February 24, 1790
  7. Rhode Island: June 7, 1790
  8. Pennsylvania: September 21, 1791 (after rejecting it on March 10, 1790)
  9. Virginia: November 3, 1791
  10. Vermont: November 3, 1791
  11. Kentucky: June 27, 1792
Kentucky was the last, in 1792. California didn't even become a state until 1850, and Washington in 1889.

america's job creators pay an immense price in lobbyists and industry contributions to congresscritters, increasing political contributions to support more people to represent the same corporations would be an inefficient waste of resources.
With more people in congress may dilute the effect of corporate and pac money because it would be spread over more individuals.
Why not putting limits on all the big money influence in politics.

It is long pass due to tar and feather all the Democrat and RINO members of Congress and then run them out of town.
The words of someone who wants everything his way, screw everybody else. That is what is wrong with the USA

Forum List

Back