Is man a spiritual being?

Women are some of the most prominent people in the Bible. How do you explain that?

Absolutely. But their Gospels were omitted.

Look at how the Church twisted Mary Magdalene for instance, they called her a whore. And they said Mother Mary was a virgin.

Neither of which is in any original Gospel.
My reading of Scripture doesn’t call Mary Magdalene a whore.

And the OT reference to Mary had some unusual wording. Such that it referred to a new thing.

Catholic beliefs which are based on tradition which is based on early Christian beliefs which were passed down orally is that Mary was born without the stain of original sin and never sinned. That seems like pretty prominent treatment of women to me.

Then there is Ruth, the woman at the well and the woman who interrupted the meal of the apostles. All examples of women who were displayed in favorable lights.

Well, they portrayed her as a whore. Is that better language? You do agree with that, right?

But, yeah, there's women mentioned in the bible. We have Ruth, Helena-Salome, Martha, Mary Magdalene, Mary Jacob-Cleophas, probably some more I'm forgetting.

But they all were disciples of Jesus whereas the Church taught that they werentl worthy of life or were supposed to rermain silent, who said that? Peter, I think? Paul, too?
Which were prevalent back then as well as indentured servants, right? So if you are suggesting they portrayed her as something she wasn’t then I agree that it would be wrong. Is that what you are suggesting?

I don’t really believe the church taught subordination of women. I believe that that was the custom of that day. In fact it persisted until the late 1800s. And still does today in certain religions.

To blame Christianity for that makes as much sense as blaming poor people on Christianity.

As to why women can’t be priests that is an entirely different matter. It has to do with consecration of the hosts. Which is literally an intercourse between God and man.

I disagree that it's a different matter, ding. I think this is precisely the matter at hand.

I'm not blaming Christianity for anything. I'm just saying that Christianity is not based on the teachings of Jesus. Thought it did turn Jesus into its religion. The RCC was the church of the Popes and the Emperors. Not Jesus. And it continues to this day. It was and remains an imperialist movement.

Really, the only ones who base themselves from the teachings of Jesus are the Nazarenes.

Actually, the Koran gets that right.

Show me one guy in the middle east who would be ok with his virgin wife getting pregnant and telling him god did it.

She wasn't a virgin. That whole virgin birth thing is a total farce. They replaced the Greek term almah with the Latin term virgo.

Except the Greek term almah means young woman. Not virgin. In fact, there's nothing at all sexual about it.

Well then this shows you how stupid Christians are. They've been repeating that lie for centuries. Every Christian I know believes Mary was a virgin and God impregnated her.

I don't want to hear your 21st century new modern enterpretations of the bible. What you said Chistianity was for the last 2000 years is what it is. No changing with the times. No evolving.

It's not that they're stupid. It's just what they've been taught in the Church.

And really, unless people are spending time comparing the old Greek (that's really hard, too) and Hebrew, they'd never even know this stuff is mistranslated, purposeful or not. Not unless they're studying the Bible. By studying the Bible, I mean it's history.

Of all the bibles I've read, the KJV comes closest to what we have as original texts. We don't have original texts, but compered to the earliest Greek texts we do have, the KJV comes closest.

But reading the KJV even, nobody talked like that back then. I think they added around 500 new words to it, really poetic stuff, but it's not even a direct translation, it's a mix of Latin and Greek. The NT was pretty much a back door deal to make both the Protestants and the Catholics content and they still fought about it, remember when the Protestants tried to blow up King James because they thought he was siding wit hthe Catholics? lol.

Last edited:
You boys should be careful talking about Jesus’ momma like that. :lol:

Women are some of the most prominent people in the Bible. How do you explain that?

Look at how the Church twisted Mary Magdalene for instance, they called her a whore. And they said Mother Mary was a virgin. Mary was a virgo. Virgo doesn't mean virgin. It means young woman. Virgin translates to virgo intacta. This is another mistranslation, they used Latin instead of the Greek.

Neither of which is in any original Gospel, btw.
Were those Gospels destroyed? No. They just weren’t included, right?

Does their exclusion invalid the ones that were included?

I think you and I have a different standard for corruption.

Show me one guy in the middle east who would be ok with his virgin wife getting pregnant and telling him god did it.

She wasn't a virgin. That whole virgin birth thing is a total farce. They replaced the Greek term almah with the Latin term virgo.

Except the Greek term almah means young woman. Not virgin. In fact, there's nothing at all sexual about it.

Well then this shows you how stupid Christians are. They've been repeating that lie for centuries. Every Christian I know believes Mary was a virgin and God impregnated her.

I don't want to hear your 21st century new modern enterpretations of the bible. What you said Chistianity was for the last 2000 years is what it is. No changing with the times. No evolving.
I believe she was born without original sin, lived a perfect life and was chosen as the vessel for Jesus Christ before she was born.

You are an apostate so I wouldn’t expect you to accept or believe any of those things.

Nope. Sorry to disagree. These were the beliefs of the early Christians who passed down these beliefs orally for hundreds of years.

Within the Church Mary is seen as the new Eve except she never fell from Grace.

The truth hurts.
Yes, usually before it helps. We are all receiving constant feedback back from the universe. This ought to raise your suspicion.

You're rattling on about your invented spirit realms again.
Only time will tell.
Did it ever occur to you to ask your gods why they would choose to deliver their message through the corruptible hand of man? What is more important: gods who clearly deliver their message upon which one's eternal salvation rests, or do that leave it to persons unknown leaving open to interpretation what their intent is? Were the gods too busy with their administrative duties to bother reading the bibles? What a risk they put their children at.

One of the profound difficulties religious zealots have with reality in general and science in particular is that they are more complex than “the gods did it.” The universe does not consist of ideals and opposites, but instead of continua along dimensions with multiple (often infinite) possible options. Yes… it is one of the rude awakenings to the religious that we live in a Darwinian world, not a Platonic one.

This is why I know religion is bullshit. No way a god would visit 11 sheep herders 2000 years ago, perform miracles for them and then make believing their stories the test for getting into heaven. I'm amazed so many people still believe that.

Sorry god but you should have put the gullible gene in my head. Or the wishful thinking gene or the superstitious gene.
More than likely God visits you daily you just don’t realize it. He speaks in a super quiet voice.

And really, unless people are spending time comparing the old Greek (that's really hard, too) and Hebrew, they'd never even know this stuff is mistranslated, purposeful or not. Not unless they're studying the Bible. By studying the Bible, I mean it's history.

Of all the bibles I've read, the KJV comes closest to what we have as original texts. We don't have original texts, but compered to the earliest Greek texts we do have, the KJV comes closest.

But reading the KJV even, nobody talked like that back then. I think they added around 500 new words to it, really poetic stuff, but it's not even a direct translation, it's a mix of Latin and Greek. The NT was pretty much a back door deal to make both the Protestants and the Catholics content and they still fought about it, remember when the Protestants tried to blow up King James because they thought he was siding wit hthe Catholics? lol.

I love this new spin that Mary wasn't a virgin. Finally after 2000 years you guys can't tell that lie any more some you are re translating that story? Interesting. Because this is what almost all Christians believe:

The virgin birth of Jesus is the New Testament teaching that Jesus was conceived in the womb of his mother Mary through the Holy Spirit without the agency of a human father and born while Mary was still a virgin.

Why is it so few of you know she wasn't really a virgin?

Look at how the Church twisted Mary Magdalene for instance, they called her a whore. And they said Mother Mary was a virgin.

And the OT reference to Mary had some unusual wording. Such that it referred to a new thing.

Catholic beliefs which are based on tradition which is based on early Christian beliefs which were passed down orally is that Mary was born without the stain of original sin and never sinned. That seems like pretty prominent treatment of women to me.

Then there is Ruth, the woman at the well and the woman who interrupted the meal of the apostles. All examples of women who were displayed in favorable lights.

You do realize you don’t have to look for reasons to validate your beliefs, right?

It’s not like when you meet your maker he’s going to give you credit for all the reasons you didn’t pick up your cross and follow Jesus.

I love this new spin that Mary wasn't a virgin. Finally after 2000 years you guys can't tell that lie any more some you are re translating that story? Interesting. Because this is what almost all Christians believe:

The virgin birth of Jesus is the New Testament teaching that Jesus was conceived in the womb of his mother Mary through the Holy Spirit without the agency of a human father and born while Mary was still a virgin.

Why is it so few of you know she wasn't really a virgin?
Because everyone can’t be Catholic? :dunno:

Nope. Sorry to disagree. These were the beliefs of the early Christians who passed down these beliefs orally for hundreds of years.

Within the Church Mary is seen as the new Eve except she never fell from Grace.
But now they want to say OOPS after lying to us for 2000 years that she was a virgin and god knocked her up. Now it's a completely different spin? Not buying it. Not enough priests are telling this story. Can we get some peer reviewed consensus on this?

I believe she was born without original sin, lived a perfect life and was chosen as the vessel for Jesus Christ before she was born.

You are an apostate so I wouldn’t expect you to accept or believe any of those things.
Ding, I didn’t know you were Catholic. I don’t know any Christians who believe that Mary lived a perfect life. (Only Jesus did.) Was she a faithful and humble believer? Yes. But that doesn’t mean she lived a perfect life.

Ding, I didn’t know you were Catholic. I don’t know any Christians who believe that Mary lived a perfect life. (Only Jesus did.) Was she a faithful and humble believer? Yes. But that doesn’t mean she lived a perfect life.
Was she a virgin when she had Jesus?

Well, they portrayed her as a whore. Is that better language? You do agree with that, right?

But, yeah, there's women mentioned in the bible. We have Ruth, Helena-Salome, Martha, Mary Magdalene, Mary Jacob-Cleophas, probably some more I'm forgetting.

But they all were disciples of Jesus whereas the Church taught that they werentl worthy of life or were supposed to rermain silent, who said that? Peter, I think? Paul, too?
Which were prevalent back then as well as indentured servants, right? So if you are suggesting they portrayed her as something she wasn’t then I agree that it would be wrong. Is that what you are suggesting?

I don’t really believe the church taught subordination of women. I believe that that was the custom of that day. In fact it persisted until the late 1800s. And still does today in certain religions.

To blame Christianity for that makes as much sense as blaming poor people on Christianity.

As to why women can’t be priests that is an entirely different matter. It has to do with consecration of the hosts. Which is literally an intercourse between God and man.

I disagree that it's a different matter, ding. I think this is precisely the matter at hand.

I'm not blaming Christianity for anything. I'm just saying that Christianity is not based on the teachings of Jesus. Thought it did turn Jesus into its religion. The RCC was the church of the Popes and the Emperors. Not Jesus. And it continues to this day. It was and remains an imperialist movement.

Really, the only ones who base themselves from the teachings of Jesus are the Nazarenes.

Actually, the Koran gets that right.
And I believe Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

But for us to answer that question wouldn’t we first have to define his teachings?

It is a tendency for people to idealize the path not taken. The Church softened the rule of monarchs. Had the Church never existed your idealized view of that path would be different.

All Catholics believe this. The early Christians believed this.

Of course that didn’t necessarily mean she wasn’t in need of a savior.

Yes. Doesn’t that make you happy to know I believe this?

But now they want to say OOPS after lying to us for 2000 years that she was a virgin and god knocked her up. Now it's a completely different spin? Not buying it. Not enough priests are telling this story. Can we get some peer reviewed consensus on this?

Just because one person holds that opinion doesn’t mean that that is what Christians believe. Christians believe Mary was a virgin. Not a perpetual virgin, as Catholics believe, but a virgin at the time Jesus was conceived.

If you think that is silly, fine. Personally I think if God is able to create the universe he wouldn’t have any problem with a woman being impregnated in a different way. If it makes it easier for you, you can think of it as akin to in vitro fertilization, which happens today, often.

Last edited:

Yes, as I said in my previous post. But that doesn’t mean she was sinless, or perfect, as Catholics believe.

I would have picked Douay-Rheims.

NO. "Man==HUman" is a violent animal in the flesh. Probably the worst on the planet/ The "spiritual" thing is part of the "born again" philosophy but only to be fully enjoyed after the worms have their lunch.
One day some of us will know for sure. There's no app to determine that as of yet.

Forum List

Back