Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?

Soooo...basically, even though the Bible claims of itself, that every word is the word of God, this might have been the word of God...or it might have been a bunch of evil bastards just trying to justify their own blood-thirsty behaviour? This is the Bible that we are expected to take seriously, and view as a reliable source of morality?!?!? REALLY??????

Problems occur between those who take every word of the Bible literally and those who fight against the very concept of God.

Most of us do not take every word literally. Many of us understand the difference between a story account and a factual news account. In those days, no newspapers; it was stories that survived. Stories written by man, that we believe were inspired by God and mankind's various experiences with God and understanding of God. These stories, which some now ridicule, were told and written to tell of God's goodness, His justice and His protection of the oppressed.

If we could go back in time would return to those ill and dying in the desert and tell them that their oppressors--those who were killing their husbands, wives, and children--should be admired, should be supported, and should have monuments built to them to honor them for the cruel deaths and treatment they visited upon those struggling to survive in the desert. We can tell them that's the modern view of justice. We can tell them of how corruption should be allowed to reign, that standing up and beating back corruption is now the ultimate evil.

Before modern day people condemn, criticize, and accuse what is in the Bible, it might be best if they first take time to understand the original story as presented by those who lived through it.
And, you are just making matters worse. First, you are confirming that, far from being the "Word of God", The Bible is just another work of Man. Further, you are admitting that it isn't even a reliable work of man. Rather it is just the propaganda (news account) of events, written by the victors to justify their actions. And, lastly, you are saying that the Bible is just a work that is meant to be "interpreted" ("Most of us do not take it literally").

Now, my responses would probably be very different if you, at least, pretended to maintain that the Bible is, in fact, the "Word of God". However, since it is just a work of man, I ask, yet again, why should anyone take it any more seriously than The Q'uran, or the Etta, or the Bhagavad Gita...or Grimm's Fairy Tales? Why should anyone not just accept it as a book of fairy tales, with some nice suggestions on how to live one's life, take from it what they like, incorporate that into their lives, and just leave the rest to the dust?

Why should anyone believe you Christians about Jesus, God, Heaven, Hell, or any of it, is the Bible is just a collection of stories put together by men? And yes, I ignored the obvious attempt to make this discussion political.

When god said "let there be light", to whom was he talking to?

And, you are just making matters worse. First, you are confirming that, far from being the "Word of God", The Bible is just another work of Man. Further, you are admitting that it isn't even a reliable work of man. Rather it is just the propaganda (news account) of events, written by the victors to justify their actions. And, lastly, you are saying that the Bible is just a work that is meant to be "interpreted" ("Most of us do not take it literally").

Now, my responses would probably be very different if you, at least, pretended to maintain that the Bible is, in fact, the "Word of God". However, since it is just a work of man, I ask, yet again, why should anyone take it any more seriously than The Q'uran, or the Etta, or the Bhagavad Gita...or Grimm's Fairy Tales? Why should anyone not just accept it as a book of fairy tales, with some nice suggestions on how to live one's life, take from it what they like, incorporate that into their lives, and just leave the rest to the dust?

Why should anyone believe you Christians about Jesus, God, Heaven, Hell, or any of it, is the Bible is just a collection of stories put together by men? And yes, I ignored the obvious attempt to make this discussion political.

How does the truth ever make matters worse? And, worse for whom? In what way are stories of God's goodness, justice, and love not reliable?

The Bible is written by man, inspired by God because in Him we live and move and have our being. How can we keep from singing and telling these stories of how God interacts with us and how we interact with God? I don't understand why you think the Bible must be literally true, or why the Bible is the only book that contains stories of humans interacting with God and God interacting with humans.

This is my testimony: I do find the Word of God in the Bible, and can testify that the Bible (along with the Catholic Church) dropped me straight into God's arms. That, and my own desire to meet God and come to know Him as He is (right here while on earth), to love Him, and to serve Him. From cover to cover the Bible tells us about our amazing God and reveals how imperfectly we see Him. Moses put it best: God's goodness, justice, and love are so blinding to humans that we are often only able to see and recognize Him in hindsight.

Do you think I care if God uses other books, other experiences to reveal to others who have that same desire to meet and know God here on earth to draw them to Himself as well? No. More power to Him. The great thing about God is that He meets us where we are. With Him all things are possible. That is what the Catholic Church teaches. The Catholic Church teaches that the only way she knows how to get people to God is through Christ and what Christ taught (Bible). It succeeded with me, it succeeds with countless others.

If nothing else from the Bible impresses, take and start with these two powerful lines from Isaiah:

Listen carefully, but you will not understand.
Look intently, but you will know nothing.

The Bible doesn't claim to be inerrant. I see no reason to exalt it beyond what it is.

It's a collection of books that contains the Word of God given to our progenitors in the House of Israel. It contains the doctrines of Christ that point us to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He is our perfect source of eternal life.

The Bible is a tool to bring men to Him. Good for uplifting and edifying man.
Interesting equivocation in your answer. It contains the "Word of God", but it is not inerrant? So...if, as suggested by implication, it has errors, how do you know that it contains the "Word of God"? After all, would God allow his word to be transcribed erroneously? If so, why?

The Holy Spirit testifies to the truths found in the Bible.

God works through flawed people. Probably because if He didn't, nothing would ever happen.

Recognizing the truth isn't an equivocation. I believe what the Bible claims to be. Not what others say it is
Really?

Joshua 1:7-8 (NIV) - Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave to you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Matthew 4:4 (NIV) - Jesus answered, “It is written; ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV) - All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

James 2:10 (NIV) - For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

The Bible claims to come directly from God - All. Of. It.. So, unless you are suggesting that God was unreliable, then the Bible seems to suggest that every word of it should be accepted as reliable, and accurate.

Now, what were you saying about believing the Bible to be what it claims to be?

No it doesn't. It also doesn't claim to be all that God has or will ever say. Read the verses you just quoted and tell me which one mentions the bible. You can't because the Bible wasn't compiled as a set of books until centuries later.

The Bible illustrates that the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is a God of the living and not the dead. He reveals His word to the living. The revealed word of the past is a tool to help us receive our own revelation and to know God.

You can't live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God until you know how to listen to every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. That requires real time experience with the Holy Ghost.

Following the Bible can help you get those experiences

Early man recognized the power of words. With words, we can cause or command things to happen. The more accurate rendition of the Hebrew is simply, "Light." What is being conveyed is that it was a spoken word (not a conversation between two or more) that brought forth light. It was God's word/command.

Early man recognized the power of words. With words, we can cause or command things to happen. The more accurate rendition of the Hebrew is simply, "Light." What is being conveyed is that it was a spoken word (not a conversation between two or more) that brought forth light. It was God's word/command.
So again, to whom was he talking to when he gave his command?

And so they just made up the part where God commanded them to do it?

Probably not the first or last time, when faced with criticism of their deed, a people has passed it off as the will of God. On the other hand we are left to wonder if there was prayerful consideration beforehand. If so, was it the human mind/heart or the voice of God that the priest heard? We are often warned we are not to trust the human heart. We all seem to agree that the decree doesn't sound like the voice of God. It seems more like human justice and may even cross the line into vengeance. But we weren't there, so we could be wrong. It just might have been the voice of God commanding justice after these people tormented the Israelites when the Israelites were in great need and not a threat.
Soooo...basically, even though the Bible claims of itself, that every word is the word of God, this might have been the word of God...or it might have been a bunch of evil bastards just trying to justify their own blood-thirsty behaviour? This is the Bible that we are expected to take seriously, and view as a reliable source of morality?!?!? REALLY??????

The Bible isn't the source of morality and doesn't claim to be.

God is.

The Bible contains some of His words. It also contains the words of a devil. The words of good men and bad. And the words of an Ass

Probably not the first or last time, when faced with criticism of their deed, a people has passed it off as the will of God. On the other hand we are left to wonder if there was prayerful consideration beforehand. If so, was it the human mind/heart or the voice of God that the priest heard? We are often warned we are not to trust the human heart. We all seem to agree that the decree doesn't sound like the voice of God. It seems more like human justice and may even cross the line into vengeance. But we weren't there, so we could be wrong. It just might have been the voice of God commanding justice after these people tormented the Israelites when the Israelites were in great need and not a threat.

God is.

The Bible contains some of His words. It also contains the words of a devil. The words of good men and bad. And the words of an Ass
Did god tell you all to wear your magic underwear?

The Sons of God. Us. In the premortal realm as spirit sons and daughters we knew and worshipped God as our heavenly Father and accepted His plan. His plan was to create an earth where would could have a physical body and gain earthly experience in order to progress toward perfection and to ultimately realize our destiny as heirs of eternal life

How does the truth ever make matters worse? And, worse for whom? In what way are stories of God's goodness, justice, and love not reliable?

The Bible is written by man, inspired by God because in Him we live and move and have our being. How can we keep from singing and telling these stories of how God interacts with us and how we interact with God? I don't understand why you think the Bible must be literally true, or why the Bible is the only book that contains stories of humans interacting with God and God interacting with humans.
Well...except for those times that he commanded people to commit genocide. Oh, wait! He didn't do that, because he never actually said that. That was a lie written in order to justify the people who wrote the Bible committing genocide. But, the stories are still reliable, even though it is, apparently filled with lies.

I will just leave you with this thought, since you like scripture so much:

Any holy book that contains instructions on the ownership, treatment, and disposal of slaves...

Slaves can be bought sold and inheritedLeviticus 25:44-46
You can sell your daughter into slaveryExodus 21:7
You can buy a female sex slave for yourself, or your son. If you don't like her, you can sell her again, but not to foreignersExodus 21:8
You can rape captive women, but you resell them as slavesDeuteronomy 21:10-14
You cannot be punished for killing your slaves, so long as they do not die immediatelyExodus 21: 20-21
Slaves must submit to their masters even if their masers are harshPauline Epistles & Peter 2:18
Slaves must accept their position with humilityEphesians 5:6-8
Slaves must please their masters in everythingTitus 2:9, c.f. & Colossians 3:22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
...then you do not get to claim that holy book as a valuable source for morality.

This is the source inspired by your God, demonstrating your God's goodness, justice, and love...

God is.

The only magic underwear I know of is sold by victory secret. And I have never heard of any communication from God about it.

It might help a husband and wife observe the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth, but I can't say I've thought about implication of underwear and God much. It's not really any of my business.

Why are you so interested in other peoples undies?

The Bible doesn't claim to be inerrant. I see no reason to exalt it beyond what it is.

It's a collection of books that contains the Word of God given to our progenitors in the House of Israel. It contains the doctrines of Christ that point us to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He is our perfect source of eternal life.

Interesting equivocation in your answer. It contains the "Word of God", but it is not inerrant? So...if, as suggested by implication, it has errors, how do you know that it contains the "Word of God"? After all, would God allow his word to be transcribed erroneously? If so, why?

God works through flawed people. Probably because if He didn't, nothing would ever happen.

Recognizing the truth isn't an equivocation. I believe what the Bible claims to be. Not what others say it is
Really?

Joshua 1:7-8 (NIV) - Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave to you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Matthew 4:4 (NIV) - Jesus answered, “It is written; ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV) - All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

James 2:10 (NIV) - For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

The Bible claims to come directly from God - All. Of. It.. So, unless you are suggesting that God was unreliable, then the Bible seems to suggest that every word of it should be accepted as reliable, and accurate.

No it doesn't. It also doesn't claim to be all that God has or will ever say. Read the verses you just quoted and tell me which one mentions the bible. You can't because the Bible wasn't compiled as a set of books until centuries later.

The Bible illustrates that the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is a God of the living and not the dead. He reveals His word to the living. The revealed word of the past is a tool to help us receive our own revelation and to know God.

You can't live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God until you know how to listen to every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. That requires real time experience with the Holy Ghost.

So, the Bible should be read literally, and taken at face value...until it shouldn't. That's what you're saying?

God is.

Did I miss something, somewhere? Is Avatar4321 a Mormon?

Really?

So, the Bible should be read literally, and taken at face value...until it shouldn't. That's what you're saying?

No. I'm saying use it as a tool to come to God and then let yourself learn from Him.

God is.

You used to be able to pick up those cotton underclothes at garage sales cheap and they was the best 'long john's' ever made to keep one warm in those cold winters if's you were not used to the cold.

Forum List

Back