Is the GOP intentionally preventing a recovery?

Some people are saying no, see the 'argument' against, here:

Schumer's conspiracy theory: GOP sabotaging recovery | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

The evidence suggests Schumer's on to something. The House of Representatives has offered no debate on the issue of unemployment and has passed only 18 bills since taking control in January. 15 of those bills were passed to name federal buildings after someone. This do-nothing congress sees no urgency as millions of Americans are out of work, work one or two or three part time jobs simply to pay rent or the morgage on a home underwater.

The GOP leadership in both houses of congress has opposed all efforts by the president, and even turned down an offer by President Obama to reduce the payroll tax for businees. It seems ideology is only an excuse, the real reason is their lust for power.

By their own admission...the answer is YES! The GOP leadership has stated since Obama's first day that their only mission was to see him fail. They do not give a second thought to what this mission costs our nation. They are unconscionable traitors.

Golden, coming from a self-proclaimed Republican...who happened to vote for Obama, and carries the water for libs at every opportunity.

Go fuck yourself Sparky. I've been a Republican longer than you have drawn your wasted breath in this world. You don't even know what true republican principles are. If you are younger than 50 then you wouldn't know what you are talking about.

There is no time when stolen property is not stolen property.

Schumer's conspiracy theory: GOP sabotaging recovery | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner

The evidence suggests Schumer's on to something. The House of Representatives has offered no debate on the issue of unemployment and has passed only 18 bills since taking control in January. 15 of those bills were passed to name federal buildings after someone. This do-nothing congress sees no urgency as millions of Americans are out of work, work one or two or three part time jobs simply to pay rent or the morgage on a home underwater.

The GOP leadership in both houses of congress has opposed all efforts by the president, and even turned down an offer by President Obama to reduce the payroll tax for businees. It seems ideology is only an excuse, the real reason is their lust for power.

By their own admission...the answer is YES! The GOP leadership has stated since Obama's first day that their only mission was to see him fail. They do not give a second thought to what this mission costs our nation. They are unconscionable traitors.

Since when is someone wishing for a President to fail considered a traitorous act? Does the term 'the loyal opposition' ring a bell for you?

Now that Obama has bombed six sovereign nations, which is an act of war by any definition, we can't afford for him to get another term.

I can hardly wait for this community organizer to discover an al queda operative in Russia or China. They will not put up with his aggression and you just thought Bush was a cowboy.

Yes they are. And this isn't the first time or even the worst thing they've done. Remember how they responded to the terrorists attacks on Clinton's watch? Did you see them rushing out all sorts of anti terrorism legislation back then? No, you didn't, because for the Republicans us being attacked while a Democrat was in the White House was a political plus

I am sure you were 100% behind the Patriot Act that Bush signed into law.

Do you really think that Clinton's response to the terrorist attacks while he was in office warranted anti-terrorist legislation? Clinton considered the first attack on the World Trade Center a law enforcement problem. He had a Democrat majority in the House and the Senate at the time and I didn't see any rush for anti-terrorist legislation from them.

As I recall, Clinton wouldn't even acknowledge that the attack on the USS Cole was a terrorist act, and he damned well didn't ask for any legislation.

No, I am against the Patriot Act. We woudn't have gotten the PA if Gore had been President, not because of Gore but because of the Republicans. There is no way they would have helped Gore or any Democratic President the way they helped Bush

CNN, July 30, 1996
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, emerged from the meeting and said, "These are very controversial provisions that the [Clinton] White House wants. Some they're not going to get." ....[Hatch] also said he had some problems with the president's proposals to expand wiretapping.
So Bill Clinton, rather than just breaking the law as Bush did (then again, perhaps this is why Bush broke the law - he knew from history that the Republicans controlling the congress would oppose his efforts to expand wiretapping), decided to go to the Republican congress in 1996 and ask them for increased authority to do more eavesdropping in order to stop the terrorists - stop September 11. Senior Republican Senator Orrin Hatch, one of the GOP's top picks for the Supreme Court and a GOP committee chair, objected.

The Republicans stopped President Clinton from getting all the tools he needed to stop the next September 11 - well, no, actually they opposed giving President Clinton all the tools he needed to stop the actual September 11. Could September 11 have been stopped if the GOP had given President Clinton the tools he requested to stop Osama and Mohammad Atta from killing 3,000 people in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington?

Maybe we need to ask the Republicans up for re-election why they wanted to appease the terrorists?
President Clinton urged Congress Tuesday to act swiftly in developing anti-terrorism legislation before its August recess.

"We need to keep this country together right now. We need to focus on this terrorism issue," Clinton said during a White House news conference.

But while the president pushed for quick legislation, Republican lawmakers hardened their stance against some of the proposed anti-terrorism measures.
There's even an audio clip of President Clinton practically begging the Republicans to give him the tools he needed to stop Osama and the terrorists. Trent Lott said no. Orrin Hatch said no. Do these men really deserve to run the Congress during a time of war?

AMERICAblog News: GOP Congress blocked Clinton push for anti-terror legislation

Remember after 9/11 and Bush's drastic response, which was a lot easier for him then it was for Clinton because unlike what they did with Clinton the Republicans gave Bush 100% support. They weren't accusing him of wagging the dog or siccing special prosecuters on him and they certainly weren't impeaching him

Yes they are. And this isn't the first time or even the worst thing they've done. Remember how they responded to the terrorists attacks on Clinton's watch? Did you see them rushing out all sorts of anti terrorism legislation back then? No, you didn't, because for the Republicans us being attacked while a Democrat was in the White House was a political plus

Do you really think that Clinton's response to the terrorist attacks while he was in office warranted anti-terrorist legislation? Clinton considered the first attack on the World Trade Center a law enforcement problem. He had a Democrat majority in the House and the Senate at the time and I didn't see any rush for anti-terrorist legislation from them.

As I recall, Clinton wouldn't even acknowledge that the attack on the USS Cole was a terrorist act, and he damned well didn't ask for any legislation.

There are actually two reasons why you believe that Clinton didn't do very much. First was because he was under attack that that was pretty much all the media fixated on. After all we wouldn't want to miss a good sex scandal would we?

But the second is that congress did all they could to prevent him from doing anything. Did you know that Clinton issued an executive order seizing OBL's bank accounts? Yep, and informed congress after he did it.

TEXT: CLINTON LETTER TO CONGRESS ON FREEZING BIN LADIN ASSETS
News from the USIA Washington File

He also tried to get an anti-terrorism bill passed. From 1995

Clinton Urges Fast Action on Terrorism Bill
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/09/us/clinton-urges-fast-action-on-terrorism-bill.htm

WHITE HOUSE FACT SHEET ON COUNTER-TERRORISM MEASURES
White House Counter-Terrorism Fact Sheet

I wasn't living in the US during most of the 90's so after 9/11 when the right was blaming Clinton for the attack I started doing some research. What I found was that the right was going after Clinton on every front. I still have a little more info, but sadly as time goes on more links are becoming inactive.

Agreed. Sometimes I think I'd just like to go back and convince them to write it even clearer, but then I think they were completely clear and no matter what else they added the two parties would still find a rationalization in their mind to ignore it. How much clearer could they have been?

What exactly are the two parties ‘ignoring’? There’s noting in the Constitution that forbids the two party system. For over 170 years the Supreme Court as ruled as to what the Constitution authorizes Congress to do and what it does not. Are you taking issue with those rulings? Otherwise all laws and acts by Congress are presumed to be Constitutional unless the courts determine otherwise. Without providing specific examples of what you believed is being ‘ignored,’ and providing the legal justification for those examples, your comments are pointless.
Look around you. Does it look like Obama's Presidency has been a success for the nation?

When I look around me I see the remnants of Republican folly. I see the devastating results of six years of a Republican WH and Congress creating deficits with ill-advised tax cuts and government expansion that resulted in the recession of December 2007.

I see the current administration struggling with that republican devastation and that party’s arrogance and stupidity. Consequently Obama’s accomplishments are that more remarkable – and it is the epitome of ignorance and partisan dishonesty to blame the president accordingly.

CNN, July 30, 1996
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, emerged from the meeting and said, "These are very controversial provisions that the [Clinton] White House wants. Some they're not going to get." ....[Hatch] also said he had some problems with the president's proposals to expand wiretapping.
So Bill Clinton, rather than just breaking the law as Bush did (then again, perhaps this is why Bush broke the law - he knew from history that the Republicans controlling the congress would oppose his efforts to expand wiretapping), decided to go to the Republican congress in 1996 and ask them for increased authority to do more eavesdropping in order to stop the terrorists - stop September 11. Senior Republican Senator Orrin Hatch, one of the GOP's top picks for the Supreme Court and a GOP committee chair, objected.

The Republicans stopped President Clinton from getting all the tools he needed to stop the next September 11 - well, no, actually they opposed giving President Clinton all the tools he needed to stop the actual September 11. Could September 11 have been stopped if the GOP had given President Clinton the tools he requested to stop Osama and Mohammad Atta from killing 3,000 people in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington?

Maybe we need to ask the Republicans up for re-election why they wanted to appease the terrorists?
President Clinton urged Congress Tuesday to act swiftly in developing anti-terrorism legislation before its August recess.

"We need to keep this country together right now. We need to focus on this terrorism issue," Clinton said during a White House news conference.

But while the president pushed for quick legislation, Republican lawmakers hardened their stance against some of the proposed anti-terrorism measures.
There's even an audio clip of President Clinton practically begging the Republicans to give him the tools he needed to stop Osama and the terrorists. Trent Lott said no. Orrin Hatch said no. Do these men really deserve to run the Congress during a time of war?

AMERICAblog News: GOP Congress blocked Clinton push for anti-terror legislation

Yep, this is all true. Amazing isn't it? One of the things that really bothered me was that Clinton wanted to add taggants to the explosives. That way if something was bombed we'd have a better, faster way to catch the bad guys. Congress took it out of the bill.

As far as I'm concerned those men shouldn't be in congress at any time.

Remember after 9/11 and Bush's drastic response, which was a lot easier for him then it was for Clinton because unlike what they did with Clinton the Republicans gave Bush 100% support. They weren't accusing him of wagging the dog or siccing special prosecuters on him and they certainly weren't impeaching him

LOL well, it was reciprocal after all he didn't use the vetos until 2006. And even then it was a "social issue." (stem cell research)

Look around you. Does it look like Obama's Presidency has been a success for the nation?

Yes. Only a complete fool would not recognize what desperate straights we were in as he took office and where we are today.
Only a complete fool would insist we're better off today than we were in January 2009.

Of course, Obamabots are indeed complete fools.

No, I am against the Patriot Act. We woudn't have gotten the PA if Gore had been President, not because of Gore but because of the Republicans. There is no way they would have helped Gore or any Democratic President the way they helped Bush

You are whining that the Republicans wouldn't help Clinton but are against the Patriot Act. That makes you partisan hack.

The Patriot Act was passed in the House by 357 to 66 (of 435) and in the Senate by 98 to 1 and was supported by members of both the Republican and Democratic parties.

Go fuck yourself Sparky. I've been a Republican longer than you have drawn your wasted breath in this world. You don't even know what true republican principles are. If you are younger than 50 then you wouldn't know what you are talking about.
And this once again demonstrates that Republicans are not necessarily conservative.

Since when is someone wishing for a President to fail considered a traitorous act? Does the term 'the loyal opposition' ring a bell for you?

Now that Obama has bombed six sovereign nations, which is an act of war by any definition, we can't afford for him to get another term.

I can hardly wait for this community organizer to discover an al queda operative in Russia or China. They will not put up with his aggression and you just thought Bush was a cowboy.
dissent_was_patriotic%5B1%5D.jpg

Now, it's treason.

There are actually two reasons why you believe that Clinton didn't do very much. First was because he was under attack that that was pretty much all the media fixated on. After all we wouldn't want to miss a good sex scandal would we?

But the second is that congress did all they could to prevent him from doing anything. Did you know that Clinton issued an executive order seizing OBL's bank accounts? Yep, and informed congress after he did it.

TEXT: CLINTON LETTER TO CONGRESS ON FREEZING BIN LADIN ASSETS
News from the USIA Washington File

He also tried to get an anti-terrorism bill passed. From 1995

Clinton Urges Fast Action on Terrorism Bill
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/09/us/clinton-urges-fast-action-on-terrorism-bill.htm

WHITE HOUSE FACT SHEET ON COUNTER-TERRORISM MEASURES
White House Counter-Terrorism Fact Sheet

I wasn't living in the US during most of the 90's so after 9/11 when the right was blaming Clinton for the attack I started doing some research. What I found was that the right was going after Clinton on every front. I still have a little more info, but sadly as time goes on more links are becoming inactive.

Clinton signs anti-terrorism bill

Praises bipartisan support
April 24, 1996
Web posted at: 4:00 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton signed legislation Wednesday that "strikes a mighty blow" against terrorism, giving the government many of the anti-terrorist powers he proposed a year ago after the Oklahoma City bombing. The law makes it easier for the United States to deport non-citizens suspected of terrorism links and bans fund-raising in the U.S. by terrorist groups.

Families of victims and survivors from the Oklahoma City blast and 1993 World Trade Center bombing in New York looked on as Clinton signed the measure on the south lawn of the White House. "This is a good day because our police officers are now going to be better prepared to stop terrorists, our prosecutors better prepared to punish them and our people are going to be better protected from their designs," Clinton said.

CNN - Clinton signs anti-terrorism bill - April 24, 1996

dissent_was_patriotic%5B1%5D.jpg

Now, it's treason.

What a load of crap. I guess you don't remember calling people anti-american for not supporting Bush' little trip to Iraq. I will never forget it. Obviously you want to forget it because we were right. We shouldn't have gone into Iraq.

I don't have to wait for Obama to find any al Qaeda...He already did, in Pakistan, and killed the MF. Your side couldn't find him in 7 yrs. Of course as Bush says himself, he didn't concern himself with OBL. But there were a whole hell of a lot of us that did care and there were kids that never knew life without that boogy man.

You can mock the president all you want, but he took a big, black cloud off of our backs with the assination of OBL. And while you might try and spin the facts there are little kids going to bed tonight that know they don't have to be afraid of that boogy man anymore.

I personally support the Fair Tax. Perfect, no. But the best proposal I've seen. The reality is that all taxes are in the end baked into the price of products we buy (except the death tax). By taxing it directly we benefit from the removal of government using taxes to further it's power, redundant tax collection systems, waste in calculating taxes and disincentives to the free pursuit of earnings and investment.

i go for that myself.....no matter how much you make.....you pay a percentage.....10% whatever......a hundred million....10%.....a hundred Bucks.....10%......everyone pays the same percentage on all income.....

As long as you have an income tax, you are empowering government to track your income, which means endless use of the power of guns to force you to disclose anything they want at any time with the assumption of guilt, forcing others to disclose information about you to ensure you're paying "your share." You also have the underground economy not paying taxes, people using loopholes to evade them. And in the end, it's generated from sales anyway, so why add another layer of complexity?

the govt will be able to track you no matter if you pay taxes or not....plus you sound kinda paranoid......:eusa_eh:

Golden, coming from a self-proclaimed Republican...who happened to vote for Obama, and carries the water for libs at every opportunity.

There is no time when stolen property is not stolen property.

So only real Republicans with conservative principles vote for Obama? Good to know. :lol:

Forum List

Back