Is the "Shutdown" a winning political issue for the GOP?

Is the "Shutdown" a political advantage for the GOP?

• Total voters
Those who think the GOP can come out good are as delusional as those who thought Romney would landslide into office.

Absolute nutters.

Nope,

Not for the million people now out of work.
Not for the tens of thousands of research scientist and tech that keep this nation at the cutting edge.

Republicans are really losing it...Believe me I think the democrats are nuts but this is really dangerous thing the republicans are doing.

I think the whole thing will depend on how much people want Obacare gone. Its not exactly popular with most Americans.

Is it worth a shutdown of the Govt??

That remains to be seen.

Once most Americans see what it really is, rather than accepting the nonsense spewed by the rightwingnuts, most Americans will approve of it, and extend it, just as we did Social Security. And that is precisely what the 'Conservatives are afraid of. Enough afraid to try this desperate and losing tactic.

I sure hope it works. I keep hearing how businesses are laying off workers and cutting back hours...That can't be good. :doubt:

Depends on where you sit.

This might purge the GOP of the Tea Party.

I think the whole thing will depend on how much people want Obacare gone. Its not exactly popular with most Americans.

Is it worth a shutdown of the Govt??

That remains to be seen.

Once most Americans see what it really is, rather than accepting the nonsense spewed by the rightwingnuts, most Americans will approve of it, and extend it, just as we did Social Security. And that is precisely what the 'Conservatives are afraid of. Enough afraid to try this desperate and losing tactic.

I sure hope it works. I keep hearing how businesses are laying off workers and cutting back hours...That can't be good. :doubt:

That's a bunch of hooey.

Amercians will long forget this ever happened by November 2014. Most Amercians don't even know it's happening. 2016 might as well be 50 yeas away because this will be a distant memory for the 100,000 people that even remember it.

However, what will be brought up in 2014 and 2016 is Democrats passed a bill that they exempted themselves and their friends from. Unless of course the GOP fumbles the message which is not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
They didn't exempt themselves. They just got all those staffers subsidized.

You can bet they will all be getting the cadillac plan at our expense though.

Don't care much.

My hope is that it will be a LOSING political move for both of the major parties that have been leading us into a hole for the last fifty years.

Last edited:
Yes. It will be the best thing to happen to the party.
People will realize that the Dems screaming wolf is just that. They dont really need a gov't that comsumes 1.3T dollars a year. They don't need 138 programs to combat hunger.
And the Democrats big issue will be gone. And no one wants to see Obamacare, except those who exempted themselves from it.

Amercians will long forget this ever happened by November 2014. Most Amercians don't even know it's happening. 2016 might as well be 50 yeas away because this will be a distant memory for the 100,000 people that even remember it.

However, what will be brought up in 2014 and 2016 is Democrats passed a bill that they exempted themselves and their friends from. Unless of course the GOP fumbles the message which is not out of the realm of possibility.

I guarantee you this will not be forgotten in November 2014. The political ads will be BELLOWING this stuff non-stop. It is going to be a HUGE talking point.

What will be discussed is that people do not believe any such thing.

I guarantee you this will not be forgotten in November 2014. The political ads will be BELLOWING this stuff non-stop. It is going to be a HUGE talking point.

Nonsense. A year from now and this will be forgotten. T he focus will be on Obama's mishandling of the economy and dead children due to Obamacare.

You're right. I intend to excoriate the Senate and every Senator that is up for re-election. The truth can only be hidden for so long.

That's a bunch of hooey.

Remember this one? It was all over the news a year ago:

Applebee's N.Y. Franchise Owner Says Obamacare Could Lead to Hiring Freeze
Nov. 12, 2012

"We've calculated it will [cost] some millions of dollars across our system. So what does that say — that says we won't build more restaurants. We won't hire more people."

Applebee's N.Y. Franchise Owner Says Obamacare Could Lead to Hiring Freeze - ABC News

And if you google keywords to the above you get hundreds of sites reporting this.

BUT, if you really dig and dig and dig, you can find this, one month later, a statement by Zane Tankel, the above franchise owner:

Statement From Applebee’s® Franchisee Zane Tankel

Apple Metro has not reduced the hours of any current Team Members, and we have no intention to reduce hours in the future. In fact, we are going the other way, having hired more than 400 people and opened two new very large restaurants within the past 30 days.

applebees - Statement From Applebee?s® Franchisee Zane Tankel

last time they tried this Slick had about 38% approval and was looking like a one termer, having lost the support of even his own party over healthcare and guns (sound familiar?) After the gop finished, Slick's approval was around 60%, and pretty much stayed there even after the loons impeached him for lying about a bj.

Republicans have to do everything possible to stop ocare. They know it will fail. They know that the ACA will be recast as a republican bill when it does fail. Make the failure of democrats refusal to negotiate the main issue.

Forum List

Back