Is the Wounded Warrior Project...a bad charity for vets....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Since I have donated to them...this would be a sad turn of events...first, they are apparently anti 2nd amendment....and now they may be a really bad charity...but this is the first story....any more?

Stop Donating To The Wounded Warrior Project - They re A Fraud - Bullets First Bullets First

During an interview with the Daily Beast, a double amputee veteran of the Iraq war spoke candidly:

“They’re more worried about putting their label on everything than getting down to brass tacks. It’s really frustrating.”

“Everything they do is a dog-and-pony show, and I haven’t talked to one of my fellow veterans that were injured… actually getting any help from the Wounded Warrior Project. I’m not just talking about financial assistance; I’m talking about help, period.”

Another soldier, Sam, an active duty soldier with Special Forces gave voice to what he sees as the problem:

“In the beginning, with Wounded Warrior, it started as a small organization and evolved into a beast. It’s become so large and such a massive money-maker…the organization cares about nothing more than raising money and “keeping up an appearance” for the public with superficial displays like wounded warrior parking spots at the Walmart.”

A veterans’ advocate spoke their concern stating:

“They’re laser-focused on making money to help vets, but forgetting to help vets. It’s becoming one of the best known charities in America—and they’re not spending their money very well.”

A second veterans’ advocate echoed that concern:

“It’s more about the Wounded Warrior Project and less about the wounded warrior.”

Ken Davis, a veteran from Arizona says that he is considered a “alumni” of the WWP even though he doesn’t want to be associated with the organization and that the WWP uses him to bolster their numbers fraudulantly. His questions the WWP:

“I receive more marketing stuff from them, [and see more of that] than the money they’ve put into the community here in Arizona. It’s just about numbers and money to them. Never once did I get the feeling that it’s about veterans.”

He could have used a ride to a VA facility for health care, he said. But rather than receive practical assistance from the WWP, he got a branded fleece beanie.

Read more at Stop Donating To The Wounded Warrior Project - They re A Fraud - Bullets First Bullets First

The criticism seems to date back to 2012 spending: Controversy Surrounds Wounded Warriors Lavish Salaries and White House IVN.us
A common claim that circulated in posts after Graham published his is that the Wounded Warrior Project spent just 3.5 percent of the whopping $154 million it raised on veteran programs and services in 2012.

Sources for IVN helped vet the tax filings to verify that this simply isn’t the case. The 3.5 percent comes from roughly $5.5 million the charity made in grants to nonprofits, but the bulk of its expenditures—more than $69 million—directly funded in-house programs and services in the course of that fiscal year.

Of the $69 million, the Wounded Warrior Project spent 27 percent on direct-assistance support that included representation for hard-to-get Veterans Affairs benefits, physical rehabilitation services, and combat stress recovery. Another 19 percent funded educational and vocational programs that the charity says helped vets acquire IT skills, enroll in college, and learn to navigate the workforce.
Looks like this claim about Wounded Warrior was busted.

Sounds reasonable for this size of the organization . I've only heard good things about it

And the only reference I can find for their supposedly being anti-2nd amendment is from Tom Gresham, who was turned by wwp a few years ago, for an interview with him. He says the girl implied that.. Seeing what he says she said, could be they want to remain apolitical, rather than anti- 2nd amendment as he implies, which would be a wise choice for fundraising matters. He never said they actually said that.
Not surprising. Wonder what the executives are making per annum?
Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project
Compensation: $375,000
Executive Director
Steven Nardizzi

Granny says, "Dat's right, gravy train's over with - get over it...
icon_grandma.gif

2 Ousted Executives Defend Work at Wounded Warrior Project
Apr 11, 2016 — Two men ousted from top executive positions at Wounded Warrior Project say their leadership upheld the intent of donors who contributed millions to one of the nation's largest veteran support groups. Al Giordano and Steve Nardizzi want the Jacksonville-based charity's board of directors to publicly release the results of an independent review of its records.
The board announced late March 10 that Nardizzi was no longer chief executive officer and Giordano was out as chief operating officer. Amid news reports alleging wasteful spending, the board hired outside legal counsel and forensic accounting consultants for a records review. The board has named retired Maj. Gen. Charlie Fletcher as interim chief operating officer and launched a national search for a new CEO. Since their ouster, Nardizzi and Giordano have been defending their work in media interviews, op-ed pieces and posts on their blog, www.thewoundedtruth.com. "The two most painful (allegations) are that somehow we're not treating donor dollars appropriately and that we're not taking care of warriors," Nardizzi told The Florida Times-Union in an interview. "For me, watching the news reports, those were the most personally painful allegations, and obviously untrue."

wounded-warrior-project-ceo-steven-nardizzi-coo-al-giordano-ts600.jpg

In a statement Friday, the board said the independent review's findings were submitted orally and summarized in the March 10 announcement, and there was no written report to be released. "The board continues to implement changes that will move the organization forward and do everything necessary to support the thousands of men and women who rely on WWP on a daily basis," the statement said. Former Marine John Melia launched Wounded Warrior Project in 2003 and later recruited Giordano, a longtime friend, and Nardizzi, a lawyer who never served in the military, to the charity. Melia left in 2009, and Nardizzi and Giordano were credited with subsequently building the organization into a major fundraiser.

Nardizzi said there were some things he should have done differently, such as not choosing a luxury resort in Colorado for an annual employee conference in 2014. He also regretted rappelling down the side of the resort during the opening night of the conference, an action caught on video. "I would change that so you wouldn't have the ability to misportray that event as something that it wasn't," he said.

MORE

Forum List

Back