Is there a Law?

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
I did a quick search on the internet, and I couldn't find any. If some one could find one, I would appreciate it.

If someone has a home based birth, and doesn't register that birth with the state by getting a birth certificate for their child, are they breaking the law?

I did a quick search on the internet, and I couldn't find any. If some one could find one, I would appreciate it.

If someone has a home based birth, and doesn't register that birth with the state by getting a birth certificate for their child, are they breaking the law?
No, but it could be next to impossible to get that child into school or for them to get a job or driving permit.

And in filing tax returns, claiming a child who is not in the system may be problematic.

Wow, not being able to file taxes. That would suck. lol

One does not need to have a driving permit to have the freedom to travel, only to conduct commerce on the road ways.

There are many other ways to trade one's labor for income or other good's and services with out "getting a job." Likewise, many of our nations greatest citizens were self taught.

None the less, if one were to reach the age of say, 19, and one's parents DIDN'T get them a Birth Certificate, or Social Security Card, and refused to cooperate in signing or notarizing any DNA, witness, or affidavits of parenthood, how would the 19 year old PROVE they were a citizen at that point?

Here is some history on it.
Federal Children - NO WE WON T

In 1921, the federal Sheppard-Towner Maternity Act created the birth "registration" or what we now know as the "birth certificate." It was known as the "Maternity Act" and was sold to the American people as a law that would reduce maternal and infant mortality, protect the health of mothers and infants, and for "other purposes." One of those other purposes provided for the establishment of a federal bureau designed to cooperate with state agencies in the overseeing of its operations and expenditures. What it really did was create a federal birth registry which exists today, creating "federal children." This government, under the doctrine of "Parens Patriae," now legislates for American children as if they are owned by the federal government. Through the public school enrollment process and continuing license requirements for most aspects of daily life, these children grow up to be adults indoctrinated into the process of asking for "permission" from Daddy government to do all those things necessary to carry out daily activities that exist in what is called a "free country."
Before 1921 the records of births and names of children were entered into family bibles, as were the records of marriages and deaths. These records were readily accepted by both the family and the law as "official" records. Since 1921 the American people have been registering the births and names of their children with the government of the state in which they are born, even though there is no federal law requiring it.

And the federal system is perfectly acceptable.
To some. For others, not so much.

I just think this girl sounds like she was raised really well. I checked out her mom's blog and FB page and was really quite impressed. Seems to me this is a spoiled brat that just wants an ID to go places with other teenagers so she can get a low paying minimum wage job, become a wage slave, and have a superficial social life. Ah, the mindless rebellious youth. They don't know the gifts that their parents have given them.

Alecia Faith Pennington seems to be the victim of a crime most of us probably didn’t know was a crime: her identity is being held hostage. No, her identity wasn’t stolen. According to Alecia, it never existed in the first place.

Seems a bit inflammatory, doesn't it? Even maybe a bit specious of a claim?

The Result Of Homeschooling And Home-Birth: This Girl Does NOT Exist
The Result Of Homeschooling And Home-Birth This Girl Does NOT Exist

The comments to the article and the video just seemed pretty sad to me. Is this really what it has come to? Have we really created a society where the rule of the gun and a government telling folks what they can and can't do is what they feel is the only right way to do things?

If there isn't, then there should be. It doesn't speak well of their fitness to be parents.

It would be great if everyone had the ability to govern themselves adequately, but since not everyone can do so for themselves, minimum acceptable standards must be set, and these we call laws.

Will depend on the state.

"Maryland law requires that all births occurring in the State be registered with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (Md. Health-General Code Ann. 4-208). Registration of your child's birth establishes the facts of birth and will be used throughout your child's lifetime for a variety of legal purposes."
Vital Statistics Administration - home-birth

Better to register than not and then have your adult child unable to do all the things a registered person can.

My research abilities are limited right now, because I'm on my work computer, but I believe it is a requirement. Such a law would be state-level, and the information would be available through the local Department of Vital Statistics. Usually, a home-based birth is attended by a licensed midwife, at the very least, and making sure it's reported generally falls under her responsibilities. If, for some reason, someone gave birth at home without any licensed medical practitioner present, then the responsibility for reporting falls to the parents.

Forum List

Back