Is there such thing as REDEMPTION?

FJO

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2012
Just North of the 49th
In other words, if you were an employer, would you hire an ex-convict who served his/her time, was eligible for parole, released and is now looking for a job, so he/she can rely on him/her self and prove to the world that the CORRECTION system is actually just that - CORRECTION - and it actually works.

Or, would you be one of those who claims that once a criminal always a criminal and let him/her sink back into a life of law breaking and crime?

Would you be willing to give a second chance?

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. Some of the most straight up cats I have ever encountered have done time. They don't want to go back. It comes down to the individual.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I would not put them in a position that endangered other people such as employment at TSA but I would not have any problem giving a job to an ex-convict who wanted to work a legal job and desired a second chance in life.

My motto is forgiveness is free and trust is earned. You don't let the child molestor back on the playground ( if he was a teacher he should never get his job back ) but if he wants a job working on an oil rig - a dairy or farming land, etc. there is plenty of work out there. I agree with giving them a second chance. Just not a second chance at commiting the crimes they were convicted of.

With so many people who haven't effed up looking for work I probably wouldn't, depending on the crime and skills he had. I wouldn't let him return to crime anymore than I would turn someone into a thief by leaving my door unlocked.

Depends on the crime............I'd have a lot of trouble knowing I'm working next to a child molester. Since I work in construction that pervert might not want to work with us..........As accidents happen all the time in the Construction area.

I've worked with people with criminal records many a time. I haven't had any problems except stealing tools which get's real dicey on the job as we threaten to break their arms if they get caught stealing our tools.

Mostly I have no problems at all. At one job in Florida we had a work release program going on for non violent offenders from a local prison. They were brought to work in a van by the corrections officials. Some were assigned as my helper. They were great workers and did quite well. I trained them a new trade and had no problem with that. They were eager to learn so they could work construction after getting out of prison. I never asked what they were in prison for..........As long as they did the job I simply didn't care.

I have worked with a person that did time for being a Convicted Drug dealer. Not kidding. He's reformed and is completely rehabbed...........Not a problem.

In this industry, we work with those types all the time and it doesn't really matter. They will never really play the I'm a bad ass on a construction site because Construction workers will generally tell them to shut the hell up as it's a physical job anyway.

In other words, if you were an employer, would you hire an ex-convict who served his/her time, was eligible for parole, released and is now looking for a job, so he/she can rely on him/her self and prove to the world that the CORRECTION system is actually just that - CORRECTION - and it actually works.

Or, would you be one of those who claims that once a criminal always a criminal and let him/her sink back into a life of law breaking and crime?

Would you be willing to give a second chance?

Situation dependent. How many people with the necessary skill set are applying for how many positions? If, as an employer, I have one position, and 15,000 applicants that have the needed skill set, it is impossible to give attention to the personal circumstances of all 15,00 people. Previous prison time is one way to narrow the field.

On the other hand if, for example, I (the employer) have two positions and a pool of four qualified applicants, personal circumstances can be weighed. Weighing the recidivist ex-con against the single mom with 2 kids can at least be contemplated.

Of course, if there are ten positions and only 6 qualified applicants, the point is moot.

To me, when a punishment is served, the chance to show that the person has changed should be there because if it isn't, you will never know if they really have changed or not.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back