Is Your Insurance Plan ACA Compliant?

Well, it is a very pertinent question. Your employer used to pay 100% of the premium until 6-8 years ago. It is possible that you are only paying 20% of the premium now? Some employers.....those who value their employees and wish to provide benefits...still cover the bulk of premiums.
If that were the case, your plan actually costs $800 per month now.

Might want to check that out.

2013 Summary of Findings | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The average employee contribution into family plans is about 30%.

I'm sure it probably is at least that amount! And I'm thankful that we work for a company (my husband and I both work there) that does treat their employees very well. If they had to drop our insurance, we would not be insured because I couldn't afford it!

Well,

If your company dropped your insurance, you would have a legitimate claim to increased salary. In effect, the portion of the premium that is being paid by your employer is part of your compensation package. You are paying for it now.....but the money is going directly to the insurance company from your employer.

You do understand that, don't you?

Yes, I do. Funny, but if an employee opts out of the insurance coverage (because they're covered under their spouse), then the company pays you an extra $150/month. They're really saving money then huh? :) I doubt my salary would go up $700 or $800/mo if they dropped us.

This one is listed on the Michigan exchange for $807. Is this possibly it?

Individual Health Insurance - Blue Cross Premier Gold - Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

This one still isn't as good as what I have! Our co pay this year did go up to $35. Our emergency room visits are only $115. Also, our max co-pay and max deductibles are much less than this one :)

You gave me your plan details....what is the name of the plan?

The plan name is the name of our company...(which I can't say), it's written up for our company (a group plan) but administered through BCBS. It's a PPO..the details I gave you is for the Best (#1) plan. That's really all I can give you......

I'm sure it probably is at least that amount! And I'm thankful that we work for a company (my husband and I both work there) that does treat their employees very well. If they had to drop our insurance, we would not be insured because I couldn't afford it!

Well,

If your company dropped your insurance, you would have a legitimate claim to increased salary. In effect, the portion of the premium that is being paid by your employer is part of your compensation package. You are paying for it now.....but the money is going directly to the insurance company from your employer.

Yes, I do. Funny, but if an employee opts out of the insurance coverage (because they're covered under their spouse), then the company pays you an extra $150/month. They're really saving money then huh? :) I doubt my salary would go up $700 or $800/mo if they dropped us.

Why not? They are paying it now. You are worth it to them now, you would be worth it to them then.....unless you decide that it is OK to take a pay cut.

Well,

Why not? They are paying it now. You are worth it to them now, you would be worth it to them then.....unless you decide that it is OK to take a pay cut.

Then why wouldn't people that are not covered under my company already be getting that? They get $150/mo extra, that's it. If I opted out, that's what they'd give me. Not saying it's right, it's just what it is. Of course, I would most likely question it, but they can't be forced to give it to me......

I am beginning to think that you think your employer is buying you health insurance as. Gift of some kind.

It is part of your pay. You earn it. Your company pays it because you are worth it.

I am beginning to think that you think your employer is buying you health insurance as. Gift of some kind.

It is part of your pay. You earn it. Your company pays it because you are worth it.

I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just saying I know if I dropped the insurance they would not give me 7-800 more a month. If they dropped us because their insurnace wasn't good enough, I don't believe we would see that money. This is a great place to work, but for others that opt out, they get $150/month.

The insurance we have at work is compliant and won't be changed. We have a 3 tier plan, I have the "best" of the 3. It costs me approx $160/month in premiums. It's just me and my husband on the plan, our deductible is $1000 each / year. I checked to see what I'd be paying if we had to go through the exchanges......for the same type of plan, it would cost me over $700 month, our deductible would have been over $10,000 each. We make too much to get any subsidies. I'm so thankful because I would NOT be able to out what Obamacare would cost me!

How much of the premium is paid by your employer now?

I'm not sure, I don't think I ever looked into it :)

Check last years W2.
Many companies are reporting totals paid by employer.

To all USMB members who currently have employer sponsored health insurance plans:

Is the plan that you currently have ACA compliant?

Mine is.

as far as i know mine is above and beyond what they want....

Thank you for your input.

no problem....so far my premium has gone up $98.00 a month.....BUT...my office co-pays have gone from 20 to 15 bucks....Colonoscopays in 2012 had a $50.00 co-pay...last year they jumped to $250.00....now for next year as far as i can tell....they wont cost me a thing....anything preventive is covered completely.... anything done in the Hospital....$100.00 co-pay....everything else covered....was $300.00.....i have an HMO by the way....Blue Shield.....

Last edited:
as far as i know mine is above and beyond what they want....

no problem....so far my premium has gone up $98.00 a month.....BUT...my office co-pays have gone from 20 to 15 bucks....Colonoscopays in 2012 had a $50.00 co-pay...last year they jumped to $250.00....now for next year as far as i can tell....they wont cost me a thing....anything preventive is covered completely.... anything done in the Hospital....$100.00 co-pay....everything else covered....was $300.00.....i have an HMO by the way....Blue Shield.....

It went to $98 or went up $98 a month? Just wasn't sure. All of our plans always change in some way every year, mine only wen't up less than $10/mo. We do have to pay more Copay ($35), it was $30. But now our co-pays go toward are yearly deductible, it didn't before. I'm happy with what I got :)

It went to $98 or went up $98 a month? Just wasn't sure. All of our plans always change in some way every year, mine only wen't up less than $10/mo. We do have to pay more Copay ($35), it was $30. But now our co-pays go toward are yearly deductible, it didn't before. I'm happy with what I got :)

went up 98 a month

The insurance we have at work is compliant and won't be changed. We have a 3 tier plan, I have the "best" of the 3. It costs me approx $160/month in premiums. It's just me and my husband on the plan, our deductible is $1000 each / year. I checked to see what I'd be paying if we had to go through the exchanges......for the same type of plan, it would cost me over $700 month, our deductible would have been over $10,000 each. We make too much to get any subsidies. I'm so thankful because I would NOT be able to out what Obamacare would cost me!

after 2018 you would not have it and would be forced to go to the exchanges if this crap stays.

after 2018 you would not have it and would be forced to go to the exchanges if this crap stays.

Boo!

Did that frighten you, Caroljo?

Forum List

Back