"It could have been me 35 years ago"

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The president of the United States of America called himself a potential victim because he happens to be half Black. Regardless of the position the guy will always be a community agitator and a race bating poverty pimp at heart. It could have happened 35 years ago if you assume the defendant, who was found not guilty, is really guilty and if you assume every non-black is a racist and further more if you assume that Florida is full of racists. The cold hard facts are that Black men are more likely to be shot and killed by other black men. While Obama was pontificating about racial violence, his own adopted city of Chicago had 11 murders and 30 shootings over the 4th of July weekend. Ironically Obama would have been more likely to end up on a slab like Treyvon Martin in his home city than in the Sunshine State. Further irony indicates that Obama was in a position to do something about Chicago violence when he was a state senator but instead he chose to try to reduce the Black population with creative ways to kill full term infants.

Just think how much better the country would be if only it were true.

We have listened to President Obama’s comments about the verdict in the Zimmerman Case. People are focusing on this quote: “Trayvon Martin could’ve been me 35 years ago.” To focus on this one line misses the nuances of the President’s message, which includes comments about how African Americans view the Zimmerman Case in the context of the history of racial disparity in America.

For more than a year, we have been listening to the conversation about this case -- from voices on every side -- and we have become very sensitive to the racial context that surrounds this case. We acknowledge Mr. Obama’s remarks regarding the frustration felt by some when viewed in context of our nation’s history, which includes racial insensitivities spanning generations, and existing even today, including within our criminal justice system.

While we acknowledge and understand the racial context of this case, we challenge people to look closely and dispassionately at the facts. We believe those who look at the facts of the case without prejudice will see that it is a clear case of self-defense, and we are certain that those who take a closer look at the kind of person George Zimmerman is -- something we understand the Department of Justice is currently doing -- we are confident they will find a young man with with a diverse ethnic and racial background who is not a racist, a man who is, in fact, sensitive to the complex racial history of our country.

It takes courage to talk about race. It took courage for our President to address the Zimmerman Case and candidly discuss how and why people are upset by the verdict. We would like to stress that the verdict was reached fairly and justly and that it reflects the letter of the law and represents the law’s proper application to the facts. While we acknowledge the racial context of the case, we hope that the President was not suggesting that this case fits a pattern of racial disparity, because we strongly contend that it does not.

This case has given the nation an opportunity to have a candid conversation about race. We would like to contribute to this discourse. Our President has clearly indicated he is willing to contribute to the discourse. As we begin this conversation, we want to say this: we cannot talk about race in sound bites. Before you cast an opinion about what the President said, be sure to listen to his comments in full. Before you judge George Zimmerman or disparage the verdict of the citizen jury, understand the facts in full. Agree not to listen to just what meets your predisposition, but to accept what exists.

Only in this way can we assure that the conversations we want to have, that we need to have, will be attended and listened to by those whose presence is necessary for a full discourse -- a discourse that can have positive consequences for our growth as a nation.

Home

What he said may be true. When I see him now I put one hand on my wallet so he doesn't get it all.

He may be right. It could have been him. He was smokin' pot and using cocaine around then.

35 years ago would have been 1978...

Here's Barry's timeline... Barack Obama Timeline

While in high school, Barack Obama joins the basketball team and becomes a leader in class. However, Barack doesn't feel he fits in. Barack tries to act tough so he drinks beer, smokes marijuana and tries cocaine.

Barack Obama begins his first year at Occidental College, Los Angeles. He becomes friends with several black students, but still doesn't feel as one of them.

At the end of his sophomore year, Barack Obama transfers to Columbia University in New York. Obama becomes a disciplined student. He reads many books about race and social injustice.

We have listened to President Obama’s comments about the verdict in the Zimmerman Case. People are focusing on this quote: “Trayvon Martin could’ve been me 35 years ago.” To focus on this one line misses the nuances of the President’s message, which includes comments about how African Americans view the Zimmerman Case in the context of the history of racial disparity in America.

For more than a year, we have been listening to the conversation about this case -- from voices on every side -- and we have become very sensitive to the racial context that surrounds this case. We acknowledge Mr. Obama’s remarks regarding the frustration felt by some when viewed in context of our nation’s history, which includes racial insensitivities spanning generations, and existing even today, including within our criminal justice system.

While we acknowledge and understand the racial context of this case, we challenge people to look closely and dispassionately at the facts. We believe those who look at the facts of the case without prejudice will see that it is a clear case of self-defense, and we are certain that those who take a closer look at the kind of person George Zimmerman is -- something we understand the Department of Justice is currently doing -- we are confident they will find a young man with with a diverse ethnic and racial background who is not a racist, a man who is, in fact, sensitive to the complex racial history of our country.

It takes courage to talk about race. It took courage for our President to address the Zimmerman Case and candidly discuss how and why people are upset by the verdict. We would like to stress that the verdict was reached fairly and justly and that it reflects the letter of the law and represents the law’s proper application to the facts. While we acknowledge the racial context of the case, we hope that the President was not suggesting that this case fits a pattern of racial disparity, because we strongly contend that it does not.

This case has given the nation an opportunity to have a candid conversation about race. We would like to contribute to this discourse. Our President has clearly indicated he is willing to contribute to the discourse. As we begin this conversation, we want to say this: we cannot talk about race in sound bites. Before you cast an opinion about what the President said, be sure to listen to his comments in full. Before you judge George Zimmerman or disparage the verdict of the citizen jury, understand the facts in full. Agree not to listen to just what meets your predisposition, but to accept what exists.

Only in this way can we assure that the conversations we want to have, that we need to have, will be attended and listened to by those whose presence is necessary for a full discourse -- a discourse that can have positive consequences for our growth as a nation.

Home

It would have taken more class and political courage to admit that Zimmerman was found not guilty and the case wasn't about race but the old community agitator couldn't resist the opportunity to fan the flames of racial hatred. How many shooting deaths took place in Zimmerman's community in the last year? How many Black men were killed in Chicago during the 4th of July weekend? Obama just can't get away from his poverty pimp race baiting roots.

Once a poverty pimp and race baiter ...you fill in the rest. The president of the United States had a chance to do the right thing and unite Americans but he chose to portray himself as a victim and use a tragedy to further divide the good people he pretends to represent.

Blacks might view this case in the context of history. Whites view it in the context of present day when black boys shoot a 13 month old baby in the face, torture and murder a couple for no more reason than they are white, bash mob for violence.

In the context of history blacks are justified in feeling rage. Got news for the bruthas. They are building some serious rage among whites right now. At 10 to 13% of the population blacks are buying some serious, serious grief.

Once a poverty pimp and race baiter ...you fill in the rest. The president of the United States had a chance to do the right thing and unite Americans but he chose to portray himself as a victim and use a tragedy to further divide the good people he pretends to represent.

Indeed- Barack Obama must of studied Charlie Manson

-Geaux

It's not about black violence on whitey or black on black or white racism or neighborhood watch doing what the justice dept tells them to do. It's about racial profiling portrayed by the people who pretend to be against racial profiling. A prominent democrat once said "never let a crisis go to waste" and democrats have been using tragedy to promote violence for years. The president had a chance to unite Americans but he chose to play the race card. What a shame.

It's not about black violence on whitey or black on black or white racism or neighborhood watch doing what the justice dept tells them to do. It's about racial profiling portrayed by the people who pretend to be against racial profiling. A prominent democrat once said "never let a crisis go to waste" and democrats have been using tragedy to promote violence for years. The president had a chance to unite Americans but he chose to play the race card. What a shame.
Divide and conquer...Remember what Obama said...'Fundamentally transform the United States..." That he works on with a passion...It is now all around us. It has to be stopped by whatever means.

You know what? 35 years ago I could have been involved in some ugly stuff, too. I could have been arrested, ruined my career path, gotten into all sorts of trouble. No, I didn't get into fist fights on a regular basis but I was no angel, either. The only thing that prevented me from having a record is luck and the - eventual - wisdom to walk away and completely change my life.

I'm not proud of that time in my life either.

And if I had gotten arrested or something bad happened to me, I would have deserved it because I was definitely doing stuff that was wrong.

But you see, that is what no one is talking about. Obama is implying that Martin got shot for no reason at all; that he was completely innocent by walking around in the rain that night. Obama is also implying that it is whites who make blacks act the way they do - all tough and threatening, reactionary and loud.

What we're forgetting about ... and let's give the general population some credit here no matter what their race ... we all have a choice in how we're going to act in any situation. I know people who consistently make really good choices. Sadly, some people don't.

Forum List

Back