It's begun! Bud Light Banned in Bars

It is a strategy all right, but not the strategy you think it is. It is an attempt to improve AB's ESG score, that is Environment, Social, Governance. It is the same reason Walmart is seeking zero waste, recycling everything possible. To improve their ESG score. Look, welcome to the modern era, the consumer, they don't mean jack diddly squat. It is the shareholder that holds all the cards. It ain't about building a better mousetrap anymore. It ain't about turning profits, it is about "maximizing shareholder value. And when the top investment firms, like Black Rock, Vanguard, and State Street evaluate potential investments based on a company's ESG score, well you better believe companies are looking at means to improve that score.

I mean put yourself in AB's place. Sure, they might piss off some customers. Hell, they might even lose a little bit of market share, But I got to be honest, I don't think it would hurt much. Hell, I am willing to bet not a soul in this thread bitching about AB and threatening a boycott has bought a Bud Light in the last three damn years., I can tell you right up front, I haven't bought one in my entire life. I am a pilsner man, that is my beer, but Bud sucks and I am quite sure Bud Light sucks as well. I stick with the local microbrews.

The thing is, AB don't give a shit. They don't care if Kid Rock never buys another Bud Light for the rest of his life. Hell, they don't even care if Dale Earnhardt Jr. never buys a Bud Light, and interesting fact, he buys more Bud Light than any store, hell any chain, in North Carolina. He is, by far, their number one customer, both commercial and retail accounts. They don't care. Because if they don't get their ESG score up to par, well those major investment firms, state pension funds, and countless other "investors" are not going to purchase their stock. Profits don't matter, market share don't make a shit--it is stock price, PERIOD, that matters. And yes, that is a problem. A huge problem. But that is the way the business world works in these fubared times.

Funny, I never heard of an ESG score. And if I found my investment company was using that as a gauge to invest with, I'd move my money somewhere else.

Wow, so not true.

What's with you leftists and your terrible comprehension skills? Did I specify Garland? No, I said his FBI.

I already didn't drink Bud Light. So unfortunately I can't stop buying it to join in the statement!

Funny, I never heard of an ESG score. And if I found my investment company was using that as a gauge to invest with, I'd move my money somewhere else.
And moving your money away from them might not be a bad idea. But, if you do have a firm handling your money I am willing to bet that they are evaluating investments based on the ESG score. And while that might seem a little ignorant, if everyone is doing it you have to do it as well. The entire problem rests on this valuation of companies based on their stock price, it is beyond stupid.

I have mentioned this before. It is the early 90's. I have been working for ten years but find my way back into graduate school to get my MBA. I have cashed in my retirement plan, flush with money, and living in a single room in the middle of campus and a stone's throw from the major party center in the city. We are talking living the good life, First day of class, a finance class, and the professor asks, "What should be a firms number one priority?". I don't hesitate, I throw my hand up, get recognized, and spout out, "maximize contribution". "Wrong" the professor says. I got to admit, I was floored. I am sitting there with a deer in the headlights look when some young punk raises his hand and answers, "Maximize share price". "Correct" the professor says. At this point I am all to hell. The professor recognizes my frustration and asks me if something was wrong. So, with my slow southern drawl, I exclaim, "So, it doesn't matter how much money you are making today, what matters is how much money people think you are going to be making tomorrow?". The professor is excited now and goes, "Exactly". Now I am really all to hell, and he can see just how distraught I am so he retorts, "Is there a problem", my response elicited rampant laughter from the rest of the class. "Yeah, I just wasted $14,000".

more stupid GOP BS propaganda.... every beer company or their parent company have done exactly the same thing as Budweiser has... change the channel and try reality and return to the world please LOL

more stupid GOP BS propaganda.... every beer company or their parent company have done exactly the same thing as Budweiser has... change the channel and try reality and return to the world please LOL

Show us where Coor's used a Tranny in their advertising. You can't so just shut up and slink away back under the rock you crawl out from under.

Ahhh, moving my buying local! Micro brews are getting my cash.

And moving your money away from them might not be a bad idea. But, if you do have a firm handling your money I am willing to bet that they are evaluating investments based on the ESG score. And while that might seem a little ignorant, if everyone is doing it you have to do it as well. The entire problem rests on this valuation of companies based on their stock price, it is beyond stupid.

If I never heard of that investment strategy so I'm sure not many are using it. Some woke Bill Gates types of companies perhaps, but not the general businesses selling stock.

The company I use has a pretty good record even during bad times like this one. Long term good growth investments is what they put our money in, not environmentally friendly companies.

It is a strategy all right, but not the strategy you think it is. It is an attempt to improve AB's ESG score, that is Environment, Social, Governance. It is the same reason Walmart is seeking zero waste, recycling everything possible. To improve their ESG score. Look, welcome to the modern era, the consumer, they don't mean jack diddly squat. It is the shareholder that holds all the cards. It ain't about building a better mousetrap anymore. It ain't about turning profits, it is about "maximizing shareholder value. And when the top investment firms, like Black Rock, Vanguard, and State Street evaluate potential investments based on a company's ESG score, well you better believe companies are looking at means to improve that score.

I mean put yourself in AB's place. Sure, they might piss off some customers. Hell, they might even lose a little bit of market share, But I got to be honest, I don't think it would hurt much. Hell, I am willing to bet not a soul in this thread bitching about AB and threatening a boycott has bought a Bud Light in the last three damn years., I can tell you right up front, I haven't bought one in my entire life. I am a pilsner man, that is my beer, but Bud sucks and I am quite sure Bud Light sucks as well. I stick with the local microbrews.

The thing is, AB don't give a shit. They don't care if Kid Rock never buys another Bud Light for the rest of his life. Hell, they don't even care if Dale Earnhardt Jr. never buys a Bud Light, and interesting fact, he buys more Bud Light than any store, hell any chain, in North Carolina. He is, by far, their number one customer, both commercial and retail accounts. They don't care. Because if they don't get their ESG score up to par, well those major investment firms, state pension funds, and countless other "investors" are not going to purchase their stock. Profits don't matter, market share don't make a shit--it is stock price, PERIOD, that matters. And yes, that is a problem. A huge problem. But that is the way the business world works in these fubared times.
You are very verbose when the simple reply should have been, “ok. Good point. You are right.”

I've always called Budweiser's products Horse Piss.

I think it's for younger people that can't afford the good stuff. When I was a kid our brand was Genesee. Then they came out with Genessee Cream Ale and we thought we were in heaven. You acquire better taste as you get older. When you're young, as long as it's cheap, it's good.

Forum List

Back