It's no laughing matter

Those were the Catholics, Pogo, and they are catching on now.. many are reading it and becoming saved & filled with the Holy Spirit... also priests and nuns have been saved and are praying in the Holy Spirit.

It?s no laughing matter: Britain has become a nation of religious illiterates 'who are baffled by Biblical references in Monty Python film The Life of Brian' - TV & Radio - Media - The Independent

It’s no laughing matter: Britain has become a nation of religious illiterates 'who are baffled by Biblical references in Monty Python film The Life of Brian'

Why are you saying it like it's a bad thing? :dunno:

I jest, truly I do. Illiteracy is no laughing matter, and the ancient stories, especially the three that describe The God of Abraham, are certainly still relevant in our moment in history.

Those were the Catholics, Pogo, and they are catching on now.. many are reading it and becoming saved & filled with the Holy Spirit... also priests and nuns have been saved and are praying in the Holy Spirit.
Jeremiah, trashing other religions won't get you into Heaven.

It?s no laughing matter: Britain has become a nation of religious illiterates 'who are baffled by Biblical references in Monty Python film The Life of Brian' - TV & Radio - Media - The Independent

It’s no laughing matter: Britain has become a nation of religious illiterates 'who are baffled by Biblical references in Monty Python film The Life of Brian'

Just because they won't get the jokes.

Then again, if the basis for needing to make the jokes in the first place disappears ...that's definitely a good thing.

I agree, it is sad that so many do not understand the jokes poking fun at religions.... they are missing out of some good laughs.

However, i do believe that all religions should be mocked and laughed at.
:eusa_eh: All?!?​

Even the cool ones? :cool:

If beliefs are like nipples and everyone has a set, all should be mocked for their beliefs regarding death?
:eusa_think:

I agree, it is sad that so many do not understand the jokes poking fun at religions.... they are missing out of some good laughs.

If beliefs are like nipples and everyone has a set, all should be mocked for their beliefs regarding death?

they are all bad in my opinion...there are not cool ones.

you assume everyone believes.... so not everyone has nipples :) Religion is not just about death.....

Meh, Life of Brian was the not-so-funny Python movie anyway!

Holy Grail is clearly the superior film. Even Meaning of Life is better. I've never understood the love for Life of Brian.

Oh, I didn't get the cheesemaker reference. But I am perfectly happy to say I don't know the Bible that well. :)

When isn't ignorance a bad thing?

they are all bad in my opinion...there are not cool ones.

you assume everyone believes.... so not everyone has nipples :) Religion is not just about death.....

Religion isnt about death. It's about life.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition

The sad part is religious zealots who do not appreciate Monty Python references

Last edited:
I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition

The sad part is religious zealots who do not appreciate Monty Python references

monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg

Meh, Life of Brian was the not-so-funny Python movie anyway!

Holy Grail is clearly the superior film. Even Meaning of Life is better. I've never understood the love for Life of Brian.

Oh, I didn't get the cheesemaker reference. But I am perfectly happy to say I don't know the Bible that well. :)

Eh- if one knows the background I'd have to disagree; while Grail was hilarious in its own right, it was simple satire; Brian was just as good comedically but carried an important social message as a bonus track. I can't think of a comedic satire expressed more poignantly than a street full of people chanting in unison "yes, we're all individuals!". Meaning of Life I thought, while a good work, represented a decline, with the caveat that Brian was hard to top.

But see, there again, knowing the bible would have made the film funnier for you. Not that I'd recommend studying it in advance just so the jokes have their full impact, but if it had been forced on you from early infancy as was the case for both the filmmakers and the audience in 1979, it would touch in a tender place.

Still and all, the point of the whole film was to lampoon slavish adherence to mob mentality, and in that they did a bang-up job. I recall that at the time the leaders of those slavish adherents were trying to push the idea that the film was about Jesus. They seem to have given up on that canard at least.

The OP article seems to want to note the passage of time, which is a fair point. I can remember in my childhood where it was common for a comedian to fashion a funny story out of Noah or Jonah or Adam and Eve, assuming the audience knew the original so they'd get the joke, and they did. Time passes and the sillier elements of mythology fade with it. We no longer believe the moon is made of green cheese either.

All of which is to say Brian remains a brilliant work solely on the basis of its having stood the test of time, even if some of the details fade. 35 years on, it still works in its main point methinks. The details are just details, and as such, secondary.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back