It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

77 percent of felony defendants have at least one prior arrest and 69 percent have multiple prior arrests. 61 percent have at least one conviction and 49 percent have multiple convictions.
35 percent of those charged with felonies have 10 or more prior arrests and another 17 percent have between 5 to 9 arrests, thus 52 percent of charged felons have been arrested and before the courts many times.
40 percent of those charged with burglary and motor vehicle theft have 10 or more arrests. 30 percent of violent offenders have 10 or more prior arrests.
Repeat Felons Dominate the Criminal Justice System?Most Convicted Felons do not Serve Time in Prison?Part One

You people don't have a problem with this????
And, you want them to be able to vote?????

According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

Hell yeah. Since we can't bring back the stocks this will work.

Not all states restrict felons from voting this is just another case of Holder grandstanding.

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News

No felons can vote for president though

That's where you are wrong. In many states, New York included, there are avenues for first offenders to have most of their rights restored, including the right to vote. Here is where I, as a Conservative do side with (gasp) libs on.

Without looking at any statistics, I'm pretty sure felons overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

I wonder if Jeff Skilling votes Democratic now...

Since most felons come from poverty, and most poor people vote Democratic, it is not a great leap to assuming ex-cons vote Democratic.

But how many felons used to vote Republican who now vote Democratic?

I'm just saying, I believe that's the reason Holder wants more of them to allowed to vote.

very likely, same reason they want to make millions of illegals into citizens.

So...do all of you want to see sex offender registries go away?

I really doubt any of them gave one thought to percentage of felon repeaters.
Most felons came up through the ranks to elevate themselves into the felons they are.
Not like they all have seen the errors of their ways and are now church goers.

Good grief, give it at least some thought on the matter and not just a knee jerk reaction.
? How about you.... one of the reason they are repeat offenders is because they can't get a job or food stamps
That could be ONE reason, but I'll bet there are dozens more.
Don't want to work
Don't like to work
Easy prey
Easy money
etc.

I really doubt any of them gave one thought to percentage of felon repeaters.
Most felons came up through the ranks to elevate themselves into the felons they are.
Not like they all have seen the errors of their ways are are now church goers.

Good grief, give it at least some thought on the matter and not just a knee jerk reaction.

then give the all life sentences or the death penalty. Our system of justice says you pay your debt and then return to freedom.

Giving partial freedom after serving time is a continuation of the sentence.

Either the debt has been paid or not.

No it doesn't. Felons that are released can no longer have in possession or in an area where there is a firearm.

Yes, thats the law, we are talking about whether that is right.

According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

Not all states restrict felons from voting this is just another case of Holder grandstanding.

Former felons can if they live in a state that restores their voting rights.

According to Holder:

That's where you are wrong. In many states, New York included, there are avenues for first offenders to have most of their rights restored, including the right to vote. Here is where I, as a Conservative do side with (gasp) libs on.

I thought it was everything except President of the U.S., I remember having this convo before and googling it on another forums

Last edited:
I'm OK with it....You have either paid your debt to society or you haven't

If we want them to be good citizens when they get out, they should be able to act like citizens

I never got the whole felon thing anyways, you did your time , so what's the point with the stigma?

I agree. I personally have never agreed with barring felons from voting. Punish them with whatever jail time they earned and be done with it.

I agree, once you have served your time, you should be free in every way.

So...do all of you want to see sex offender registries go away?

No, but they need to be fixed. The guy caught peeing in the park ends up on the same registry that the actual offender does.

There are rights you don't lose, even while in prison. Voting should be one of those.

So, in Wytchey world a person convicted of voter fraud and sentenced to jail time, should still be allowed to vote?

thats like saying a convicted child rapist should be allowed conjugal visits with kids.

I wonder if Jeff Skilling votes Democratic now...

Since most felons come from poverty, and most poor people vote Democratic, it is not a great leap to assuming ex-cons vote Democratic.

But how many felons used to vote Republican who now vote Democratic?

I'm just saying, I believe that's the reason Holder wants more of them to vote.

We have to be careful about what thoughts and feelings and motives we attribute to others. That's just wishful thinking on our part.

Another possibility is that Holder may feel blacks are given harsher sentences than whites, and thus are unfairly treated by the criminal justice system, and that this has long lasting negative ripple effects which should be mitigated.

I would say rather than focus on a symptom, he should focus on the root of the problem. You're a smart man. Why do you think blacks get harsher sentences? Is it just racism? I'm not justifying or excusing giving blacks harder sentences btw.

then give the all life sentences or the death penalty. Our system of justice says you pay your debt and then return to freedom.

Giving partial freedom after serving time is a continuation of the sentence.

Either the debt has been paid or not.

No it doesn't. Felons that are released can no longer have in possession or in an area where there is a firearm.

Yes, thats the law, we are talking about whether that is right.
Then don't be talking about our justice system saying that, " Our system of justice says you pay your debt and then return to freedom." That IS false.

I thought it was everything except President of the U.S.
The law states that felons cannot run for any elected office.

Heres a simple formula to know what the right thinks about an issue:

Is Obama for it?

No - Then the right wants it
Yes - Then the right opposes it

According to Holder:

Well, I agree with the AG on that one.

The US is now a continuing criminal enterprise where 99.9% of the defendants were accused acts against the state - malum prohibitum - as opposed to those that are REAL crimes - Malum in se.

Corrupt prosecutors can indict a ham sandwich.

There are rights you don't lose, even while in prison. Voting should be one of those.

So, in Wytchey world a person convicted of voter fraud and sentenced to jail time, should still be allowed to vote?

thats like saying a convicted child rapist should be allowed conjugal visits with kids.

No, it's not like saying that. Why are some rights okay to take away but others are not?

Forum List

Back