It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

I really would like to see a person who says convicted pedophiles rights should be restored and then go live in a neighborhood, full of pedophiles, with his family and children.

No it doesn't. Felons that are released can no longer have in possession or in an area where there is a firearm.

Yes, thats the law, we are talking about whether that is right.
Then don't be talking about our justice system saying that, " Our system of justice says you pay your debt and then return to freedom." That IS false.

That is our system of justice, the issue is whether the taking away of rights should only apply while in prison.

If the "debt" extends beyond prison time then that should be expressed when the sentence is pronounced.

I'm just saying, I believe that's the reason Holder wants more of them to vote.

We have to be careful about what thoughts and feelings and motives we attribute to others. That's just wishful thinking on our part.

Another possibility is that Holder may feel blacks are given harsher sentences than whites, and thus are unfairly treated by the criminal justice system, and that this has long lasting negative ripple effects which should be mitigated.

I would say rather than focus on a symptom, he should focus on the root of the problem. You're a smart man. Why do you think blacks get harsher sentences? Is it just racism?

By asking "Is it just racism", you are attempting to create a false dichotomy.

Racism does play a role. It is not an all or nothing proposition. But it does play a role.

I really would like to see a person who says convicted pedophiles rights should be restored and then go live in a neighborhood, full of pedophiles, with his family and children.

I think what you are really saying is that pedifiles should never be released back into society.

Yes, thats the law, we are talking about whether that is right.
Then don't be talking about our justice system saying that, " Our system of justice says you pay your debt and then return to freedom." That IS false.

That is our system of justice, the issue is whether the taking away of rights should only apply while in prison.

If the "debt" extends beyond prison time then that should be expressed when the sentence is pronounced.

It is expressed before sentencing. The removal of your right to vote, the removal of your right to bear arms, the adding of your name to a sex offender list are all codified in state and federal laws.

There are rights you don't lose, even while in prison. Voting should be one of those.

IMHO if you have proven that you can not live within the Rights and responsibilities that come with living in society, that being proven by your committing a crime and going to jail for it, then once released from jail you have to earn your rights back by proving that you can live within the rules of that society.

The real question is "Do we have too many rules/laws? So many that everyone is a criminal?"

Molon Labe

That's where you are wrong. In many states, New York included, there are avenues for first offenders to have most of their rights restored, including the right to vote. Here is where I, as a Conservative do side with (gasp) libs on.

I thought it was everything except President of the U.S.
The law states that felons cannot run for any elected office.

Talking voting for the president

We have to be careful about what thoughts and feelings and motives we attribute to others. That's just wishful thinking on our part.

Another possibility is that Holder may feel blacks are given harsher sentences than whites, and thus are unfairly treated by the criminal justice system, and that this has long lasting negative ripple effects which should be mitigated.

I would say rather than focus on a symptom, he should focus on the root of the problem. You're a smart man. Why do you think blacks get harsher sentences? Is it just racism?

Racism does play a role. It is not an all or nothing proposition. But it does play a role.

how exactly does racism cause blacks to commit more crimes per capita than any other race. Poverty exists for all races, so you can't blame that. is it genetic, cultural?

or is it simply that slavery existed 200 years ago?

OK, leaving the scene of an accident is a felony. I think this could be a case of instant panic followed by a great deal of remorse and a lesson learned. It seems harsh (especially if no one was injured) to strip this person of their right to vote forever.

I'm OK with it....You have either paid your debt to society or you haven't

If we want them to be good citizens when they get out, they should be able to act like citizens

I agree, once you have served your time, you should be free in every way.

So...do all of you want to see sex offender registries go away?

No, but they need to be fixed. The guy caught peeing in the park ends up on the same registry that the actual offender does.

The laws vary from state to state. Some states only register the very worst offenders, while others force a 17 year old who had consensual sex with his minor aged girlfriend to register.

This is where YOU come in. The laws don't get changed by magic. It takes personal effort. I have actually gotten some laws modified in my state by doing this very thing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

how exactly does racism cause blacks to commit more crimes per capita than any other race.

As I explained earlier, if a black man and a white man committed the exact same crime, statistics show the black man will be more likely to get the harsher punishment. So there is clearly some kind of racial element at work here.

Poverty exists for all races, so you can't blame that. is it genetic, cultural?

Is it genetic or cultural for white people to discriminate against blacks?

It is expressed before sentencing. The removal of your right to vote, the removal of your right to bear arms, the adding of your name to a sex offender list are all codified in state and federal laws.

No, its not. I have sat in on many sentencings and I have never heard a judge say "you are sentenced to 20 years in prison and once out of prison you cannot vote or own a gun for the rest of your life"

Not in south Carolina, my next door neighbor got busted for a misdeamor domestic violence 1st offense and they wouldn't even provide a public defendent. He didn't know when he pleaded guilty that he couldn't own a gun at the time.

Heres a simple formula to know what the right thinks about an issue:

Is Obama for it?

No - Then the right wants it
Yes - Then the right opposes it

Your formula confirms that a majority of americans feel that obama is wrong about just about everything. :cool:

Really? :cuckoo: If you see that I'm betting you probably see sounds and smell shapes too

Last edited:

how exactly does racism cause blacks to commit more crimes per capita than any other race.

As I explained earlier, if a black man and a white man committed the exact same crime, statistics show the black man will be more likely to get the harsher punishment. So there is clearly some kind of racial element at work here.

Sentences should be the same for everyone regardless of race, or any other factor.

Do you think OJ would have been found innocent if he had not been rich and famous and been able to afford the best lawyers? The real factor here is money, not race.

and I do think that racism is genetic, for all races.

Felons have already exhibited a poverty of judgment and anti social behavior, they are born democrat voters. Tell them that robbery will be legalized and refusing to turn over the goods will be punished and it's a lifetime democrat.

Sentences should be the same for everyone regardless of race, or any other factor.

Do you think OJ would have been found innocent if he had not been rich and famous and been able to afford the best lawyers? The real factor here is money, not race.

OJ would not have been found innocent if he had been white. It wasn't wealth. It was social justice.

I was going to post the same thing it is all about money, I never read about harsher sentence's then the big difference between rock and powder cocaine. And any idiot can cook powder cocaine into crack.

It does, but if crime wasn't so disproportionally higher in the black community, they would probably receive fairer sentences when one of them commit crimes. I'm not saying it's right to give blacks harsher sentences, but judges are human beings, and let's face it, human beings are prejudice. If crime were to cease being so rampant in black culture then the justice system would be less prejudice towards them. Similarly white women wouldn't have to hold on to their purses in front of them. The main problem blacks have is not white racism but the culture of immorality in their community.

Forum List

Back