January 6, 2015: peaceful transition of power

the republicans are going to WANT to pass things he votes - bills that the public likes and the president cant effectively spin to his advantage. He then has to capitulate or face the political backlash. It is a fine line for the republicans to walk. They need some compromised bills and some bills that are too distasteful for the president that the people are behind.

Can you please provide some examples of "some bills that are too distasteful for the president that the people are behind"?
They have to draft them first.

There are some keys though that have wide bi-partisan support but I ma not sure the president will sign. Repealing the medical tax is one. I am not sure if Obama is on board with that to be honest but it is one that Americans are largely behind. As far as I know he will only entertain the idea if the income is replaced. In this case, the republicans can get away with not doing so politically and place the extra burden on Obama. The Keystone Pipeline is another. That enjoys rather wide support (particularly from republicans and the center) while also being rather disliked by the left.

The only way such ideas work though is if they pass them in naked bills rather than sliding them in other bills that they don't belong in or as poison pills. I don't think the public is willing to swallow that tactic for much longer.

Please provide a poll proving that there is bipartisan support for "repealing the medical tax".

The Democrat controlled Senate already passed a non-binding resolution to repeal the medical device tax. As long as Harry Reid was the Majority Leader, that was all we were going to get. I believe 30 Democrats in the Senate joined the Republicans in the vote. Why do you need a poll?

Thank you for clarifying. The medical device tax is not the same thing as the "medical tax". I don't believe that Obama will have a problem with the medical device tax being repealed as long as there is funding to replace that from some other source.

Where do you think the Republicans are going to raise taxes to cover the lost funding?

Can you please provide some examples of "some bills that are too distasteful for the president that the people are behind"?

There are some keys though that have wide bi-partisan support but I ma not sure the president will sign. Repealing the medical tax is one. I am not sure if Obama is on board with that to be honest but it is one that Americans are largely behind. As far as I know he will only entertain the idea if the income is replaced. In this case, the republicans can get away with not doing so politically and place the extra burden on Obama. The Keystone Pipeline is another. That enjoys rather wide support (particularly from republicans and the center) while also being rather disliked by the left.

The only way such ideas work though is if they pass them in naked bills rather than sliding them in other bills that they don't belong in or as poison pills. I don't think the public is willing to swallow that tactic for much longer.

Please provide a poll proving that there is bipartisan support for "repealing the medical tax".

The Democrat controlled Senate already passed a non-binding resolution to repeal the medical device tax. As long as Harry Reid was the Majority Leader, that was all we were going to get. I believe 30 Democrats in the Senate joined the Republicans in the vote. Why do you need a poll?

Thank you for clarifying. The medical device tax is not the same thing as the "medical tax". I don't believe that Obama will have a problem with the medical device tax being repealed as long as there is funding to replace that from some other source.

Where do you think the Republicans are going to raise taxes to cover the lost funding?

Isn't that the job they were just elected to do?

Only Democrats are elected to raise taxes.

Irrelevant.

You asked what popular bills they could introduce that might back Obama into a corner and I gave you 2 simple examples. The republicans will likely not bother to raise taxes elsewhere for that initiative - it would not be beneficial to them. The medical device tax is unpopular and people would not hold the republicans responsible for a veto should the president use that reasoning to veto it. Further, it would please the base even more because the republican base is largely against any tax increases. It would be a win win for the republicans without much of an option for the president.

No. The American people still don't know that after a half century yet. They elect dems because they think they can sustain their welfare and they actually care for them by doing that.

All you have to say to any voter is do you want to pay more in taxes or not? If they say, no then you say vote GOP then you'll get a tax cut. Also say if you vote democrat you will get a tax hike. That is the main difference between the two parties.

This is called how to talk to a retard.

No. The American people still don't know that after a half century yet. They elect dems because they think they can sustain their welfare and they actually care for them by doing that.

All you have to say to any voter is do you want to pay more in taxes or not? If they say, no then you say vote GOP then you'll get a tax cut. Also say if you vote democrat you will get a tax hike. That is the main difference between the two parties.

This is called how to talk to a retard.
Not exactly. Ask Dems how they plan to pay for this or that goodie and the answer is, We'll raise taxes. On someone else.
It never works out that way, of course. Tax increases eventually hit the middle class because that's where the money is.

“The Senate is likely to pass a certain amount of legislation that our President could very well veto.”

Which can be easily avoided by Congress pursuing sound, responsible governance.
the republicans are going to WANT to pass things he votes - bills that the public likes and the president cant effectively spin to his advantage. He then has to capitulate or face the political backlash. It is a fine line for the republicans to walk. They need some compromised bills and some bills that are too distasteful for the president that the people are behind.

I have no problem with Keystone if it really works for us.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Irrelevant.

You asked what popular bills they could introduce that might back Obama into a corner and I gave you 2 simple examples. The republicans will likely not bother to raise taxes elsewhere for that initiative - it would not be beneficial to them. The medical device tax is unpopular and people would not hold the republicans responsible for a veto should the president use that reasoning to veto it. Further, it would please the base even more because the republican base is largely against any tax increases. It would be a win win for the republicans without much of an option for the president.

:rofl:

If you believe that specious nonsense than I am sure that you can convince yourself that is how it might work out. On the other hand I give the people way more credit than you do. They aren't going to be fooled by something that pathetic and an obvious violation of everything that the Republicans were elected to do.

In effect what you are proposing is that the GOP pass a bill that would increase the deficit while not reducing government spending. 2016 is going to be a tough year to be running as a Republican senator and you are just handing the Dems a great big stick to beat them with.

Irrelevant.

If you believe that specious nonsense than I am sure that you can convince yourself that is how it might work out. On the other hand I give the people way more credit than you do. They aren't going to be fooled by something that pathetic and an obvious violation of everything that the Republicans were elected to do.

In effect what you are proposing is that the GOP pass a bill that would increase the deficit while not reducing government spending. 2016 is going to be a tough year to be running as a Republican senator and you are just handing the Dems a great big stick to beat them with.
Sigh.

Sure, and Bush was not reelected a second time. And all those senators that refused to pass any tax increases at all (all increasing the deficit) were thrown out. I swear Derideo, you live in an alternate universe. The voters have proven over and over and over again that they are just fine with increasing the deficit. The only time they complain is when SOMEONE ELSE is getting the benefit.

You seem to think that the voters will only accept legislation that YOU find reasonable. Good luck with that - I guarantee you that you are grossly mistaken.

Yet two of the biggest tax cuts in the modern history comes from two Democrats, one being JFK and the other being Carter.

Irrelevant.

Sigh.

Sure, and Bush was not reelected a second time. And all those senators that refused to pass any tax increases at all (all increasing the deficit) were thrown out. I swear Derideo, you live in an alternate universe. The voters have proven over and over and over again that they are just fine with increasing the deficit. The only time they complain is when SOMEONE ELSE is getting the benefit.

You seem to think that the voters will only accept legislation that YOU find reasonable. Good luck with that - I guarantee you that you are grossly mistaken.
you live in an alternate universe

Ironic given what you post!

The only time they complain is when SOMEONE ELSE is getting the benefit.

That is you and your fellow Libertarians and TP'ers. You never stop whining about others benefiting from government programs but you are strangely silent when it comes to massive corporate subsidies and taxcuts for the 1%.

Irrelevant.

Sigh.

you live in an alternate universe

Ironic given what you post!

The only time they complain is when SOMEONE ELSE is getting the benefit.

That is you and your fellow Libertarians and TP'ers. You never stop whining about others benefiting from government programs but you are strangely silent when it comes to massive corporate subsidies and taxcuts for the 1%.
No, I am not.

Forum List

Back