Jesse Ventura wins $1.8million defamation

Last edited:
Navy Seal or not the guy wrote and published what was proven to be a libelous falsehood.

Why should he or his estate get a pass?

The jury found Kyle lied. Should Ventura have let such a scurrilous smear go unchallenged?

Either that or CONFIRM you're an asshole by suing the widow of a murdered veteran ....

He didn't sue the widow. He sued the man's estate. That money was won by libeling someone.

ok G - who gets the money if Ventura doesn't?

I understand these nuanced principles you are bringing up. I can appreciate them.

But Ventura is viewed as a successful man who just yanked $1.8M from a widow because he had a beef with her now-dead husband.

It's a PR nightmare. I would suggest HE has done a lot more harm to his reputation with this than the dead veteran did with his book.

Either that or CONFIRM you're an asshole by suing the widow of a murdered veteran ....

He didn't sue the widow. He sued the man's estate. That money was won by libeling someone.

I understand these nuanced principles you are bringing up. I can appreciate them.

But Ventura is viewed as a successful man who just yanked $1.8M from a widow because he had a beef with her now-dead husband.

It's a PR nightmare. I would suggest HE has done a lot more harm to his reputation with this than the dead veteran did with his book.

If someone robbed a bank of $1.8M and then died, would it be vile of the government to "yank $1.8M from a widow"?

That money was dishonestly made at someone else's expense. That money would not even be in the widow's hands if Kyle had not lied. Balance has been restored.

It was more than a beef.

Kyle told a completely fabricated tale that smeared Ventura.

And badly.

This is vindication.

And well deserved.

Kyle was murdered by a fellow veteran in February 2013

Sounds like this guy had a habit of pissing people off...especially other veterans.

No, the guy he was killed buy was having issues from serving in Iraq and Kyle and a friend where trying to help him through his mental issues. Kyle had a program i believe that helped troops battling mental issues from war.

Ended up costing him and his friends life.

I can believe he won. Why? Because the man he is suing is dead. It's very hard to get the other person's side of the story out when they can't tell it.

What I can't believe is why the man would think suing a widow somehow makes his character look good. He looks like a piece of trash to me.

Kyle told his story...its not hard to find, but that doesnt make what Ventura did any better

Was Kyle that sociopath, sniper douche fuck that got shot at the range by some other PTSD cannon fodder?

Awesome news. I hope she lives in squalor.

It was more than a beef.

Kyle told a completely fabricated tale that smeared Ventura.

And badly.

This is vindication.

And well deserved.

well deserved? hardly.....if you want to say JV was awarded the correct verdict sure, but JV deserve it, he is an asshat.

Was Kyle that sociopath, sniper douche fuck that got shot at the range by some other PTSD cannon fodder?

Awesome news. I hope she lives in squalor.

Well it's the height of the Darwin award concept, isn't it?

Here, let me cure your mental illness by giving you a gun.

:D

If someone robbed a bank of $1.8M and then died, would it be vile of the government to "yank $1.8M from a widow"?

That money was dishonestly made at someone else's expense. That money would not even be in the widow's hands if Kyle had not lied. Balance has been restored.

G, I'm not arguing the law with you. I am arguing PR and harm to a person's reputation. Just because Jesse COULD win damages doesn't mean he SHOULD take damages.

So he's won his case. A jury has announced to the world that the story was a lie.
NOW, if he really wants to restore his name, he's got to donate the money to Wounded Warriors or something like that.

NOW, if he really wants to restore his name, he's got to donate the money to Wounded Warriors or something like that.

Jesse Ventura on Lawsuit Victory
Ventura said he would use the money to pay his lawyers.

Don't lawyers usually get 40% of the award or something like that? How can his attorneys get 100% of the award?

I don't think this will end well for Mr. Ventura. Just MHO.

High powered lawyers bill by the hour, not by percentage.

“The Estate’s lawyers have again littered their brief with unnecessarily vitriolic comments and personal attacks against Governor Ventura regarding a claimed lack of concern he has shown for the families of deceased veterans by continuing this lawsuit,” says the filing. It goes on to insist that Taya Kyle has tried to portray Ventura as “as doggedly pursuing his claim against a ‘widow’” while leaving out the fact the “publisher’s insurance company has been footing the bill for defense costs, and will likely end up paying for any damages awarded.”

Jesse Ventura doesn?t want defamation suit against Chris Kyle moved to Dallas, where slain sniper is a ?hometown hero? | Dallas Morning News

Don't lawyers usually get 40% of the award or something like that? How can his attorneys get 100% of the award?

OK, so Jesse lawyers up to the tune of $1.8 million, wins a split decision from the jury, takes the money out of the hands of the widow of a dead veteran, and then hands it over to a bunch of high-priced lawyers?????

Well, now that you put it THAT way, I understand completely.

Who up to this time thought Ventura was an ex-Navy SEAL?

From Wikpedia: In a motion filed by Kyle's attorney in August 2012 to dismiss two of the suit's three counts, declarations by five former SEALs and the mothers of two others supported Kyle's account.

Yeah I knew that he was I don't know that it's something the SEAL'S are bragging about though.

Actually, he is not an ex-Navy SEAL. UDT.

Why would you say that. He served with Team 12, a UDT/SEAL Team whose specialty was and is the waters and coasts of the Pacific and Mideast. He served four years active and two in the reserve. He is a Vietnam Veteran.

OK, so Jesse lawyers up to the tune of $1.8 million, wins a split decision from the jury, takes the money out of the hands of the widow of a dead veteran, and then hands it over to a bunch of high-priced lawyers?????

Well, now that you put it THAT way, I understand completely.

Argumentum ad passiones

A guy robs a bank. He then dies. The government takes the money back. Ignoramuses wail the government "took the money out of the hands of a widow".

Kyle came by his money dishonestly.

Besides, I just posted that the $1.8 million will probably come out of the insurance company, not the widow's hands.

Forum List

Back