Jesus on Marriage...

Studied it from a historical, linguistic and culteral perspective under who? Where did you come about the linguistic expertise in order to study it from that perspective?

I have a college education, graduated with a major in Business Information Technology, a minor in Comp. Sci, and I'm working on an MBA. I've studied the Bible for as long as you have, almost, you must be older than I am. ;) But, none of that makes me an expert in Greek linguistics or Greek text to speak in any authority about translations of the text. My point is, you know what you've read somewhere, same as everybody else who's spent any time on this topic and cared to learn more. Who's to say how accurate your sources are?

I understand your point...essentially "one's opinion is only as good as the source information." It's a fair question and I don't have an issue with it.

My sources have been varied and many. My purpose for studying history in college and pursuing the study of history after graduation through further college courses, reading, etc was for the purpose of understanding history to further an understanding of the Bible. When I discuss the "history, languages, cultures, etc" my personal point of expertise is in the history and cultures part. That is where I have performed the majority of formal and independent study. But I quickly learned that understanding history and culture was not enough. Understanding the languages was important, understanding traditions was important, etc

For the languages part I historically relied on various sources. In college I developed a circle of professors who were experts in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, etc who were willing to assist me with the linguistics. I maintained those relationships after I graduated and have relied upon them ever since. Through time I have met others who have expertise and are willing to assist me. When I became a teacher I pulled many of my colleagues from the university into that circle. So I have a large group of people who understand what I am trying to do and are willing to assist me in furthering my "search for the real God" so to speak and throughout my life they have been willing to lend me their expertise in specific areas that apply.

In addition I read a LOT and I never take one point of view as gospel. I make sure I read the opposing point of view as well, compare it to what I have discovered to that point, look for evidence that supports or refutes a given point, discuss the results with my colleagues to gain multiple points of view, etc.

So let's say I want to do some research on Pilate's role in the crucifixion. Well first I will read the English translation in the Bible. Then I will research it from a historical perspective through my existing education, additional course work if available, discussions with colleagues and friends who are experts in Roman history, further reading, etc. I will look for information on Pilate specifically (not much there), but I will also look at what Roman Prefects were like in general. What was their role? What did they do? What were their attitudes? Pilate was under Tiberius...what was he like? Did he demand certain things? What was going on in Judea during the reign of Tiberius? How did that impact the culture and perspectives? Etc, etc.

Once I have a pretty good handle on that then I will look at it from a cultural perspective to get an understanding of why a given historical event may have happened in a given way. For example it's a pretty good bet that when Pilate talked to Jesus he was in a fucking shitty mood to begin with. Pilate was almost certainly pulled from a nice comfy estate where his every need was fulfilled to the middle of a city that he probably considered a shithole, was a political powder keg, he knew the Jews were going to be "uppity", etc....BUT he would have had to have been a man who applied Roman law appropriately or Tiberius would have had his head. The Jews are going to be raising all hell and pushing the limits of what they can get away with because it's Passover in a holy city that is occupied by pagans. So I get a handle on that.

Then I will get in touch with my experts in linguistics and we'll discuss what the Bible has to say from a linguistic point of view (and I will use multiple sources and experts to ensure I get multiple perspectives). We will discuss passages in the Bible pertaining to Pilate and discuss the significance of this word vs. that word. What the multiple meaning for this word are...did that meaning change over time? How many ways could it be interpreted?

A lot of this will cross over because history, culture, language, traditions, etc are all somewhat intertwined so I will constantly be referring back to notes I have taken here, a class I have taken there, a conversation with this professor, a conversation with that other professor.

And once it's all done I will think about it....for about a year. Then I will wrap it all up into a conclusion and sit down with all those people and discuss it at length. I will check for accuracy, make sure I understand the contrary points of view, etc.

Now will that be the end of it? No...over time I will gain new insights and new learning and you may see my conclusion adjust a bit here and a bit there....sometimes it changes completely.

So does that make me an "expert"? You are free to reach your own conclusion on that (and frankly I am really not concerned whether you do or not)....but I will say that I feel pretty confident that I have a far greater understanding than the person who stands when he is told to stand, kneels when he is told to kneel, sings when he is told to sing, prays using words he is told to use, and believes what he is told to believe by a guy wearing a robe.

Well, in reading your summation, there is one very important thing that is missing throughout the entire thing. You talk about what 'you' do over and over, how you study, look at history, confer with 'experts', etc... yet you made not one mention of just reading the Bible and relying on the Holy Spirit to guide you in your reading, you do not mention prayer once throughout it either, asking God for clarification and understanding. You only rely on your own intellect or research, and nothing else. To me, that's a big indication that you look at the Bible in an entirely different light than I do. The spiritual aspect isn't mentioned at all among your words, so I think in all your intellectual study of the book, you're missing the most important aspect of it.

And how can you so blindly make a statement such as the one I bolded? How long has it been since you've attended a church? A guy 'wearing a robe?' :lol: Sounds like you haven't been in a church in over 30 years. But what I see in those words is disrespect and condescension. On one hand you say to have an 'open mind', but on the other, it appears to me that yours is closed. You make assumptions about people, label them, and then put them down by calling them blind sheep because you don't agree with how you *think* they practice their religion. And I say how you think they practice, because in reality you have absolutely no idea what these people do in their day to day lives. I can tell you that you are comletely and 100% wrong based from my own experiences in my own church. Perhaps you should take the blinders off and visit a few churches before you make such broad based assumptions about Christians today.

I do thank you for taking the time to explain and for being courteous, you don't see that around here very often. ;)

:thup:

:)

peace...

Well, in reading your summation, there is one very important thing that is missing throughout the entire thing. You talk about what 'you' do over and over, how you study, look at history, confer with 'experts', etc... yet you made not one mention of just reading the Bible and relying on the Holy Spirit to guide you in your reading, you do not mention prayer once throughout it either, asking God for clarification and understanding. You only rely on your own intellect or research, and nothing else. To me, that's a big indication that you look at the Bible in an entirely different light than I do. The spiritual aspect isn't mentioned at all among your words, so I think in all your intellectual study of the book, you're missing the most important aspect of it.

And how can you so blindly make a statement such as the one I bolded? How long has it been since you've attended a church? A guy 'wearing a robe?' :lol: Sounds like you haven't been in a church in over 30 years. But what I see in those words is disrespect and condescension. On one hand you say to have an 'open mind', but on the other, it appears to me that yours is closed. You make assumptions about people, label them, and then put them down by calling them blind sheep because you don't agree with how you *think* they practice their religion. And I say how you think they practice, because in reality you have absolutely no idea what these people do in their day to day lives. I can tell you that you are comletely and 100% wrong based from my own experiences in my own church. Perhaps you should take the blinders off and visit a few churches before you make such broad based assumptions about Christians today.

I do thank you for taking the time to explain and for being courteous, you don't see that around here very often. ;)

Yes, and we have YOU to thank for setting THAT standard. :thup:

:lol: Yeah, you're just a little freakin' angel...:eusa_shhh:

By comparison? Yup! :eusa_angel:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Yeeeeeah-SIR.

Two Dishonest and Dismissive Trolls... One picking the fleas off the other's back.

Classic. :lol:

peace...

And that's STILL better than being a hater, and using the Bible to beat people up.

;)

We are to Share the Word... Not Selectively Hide the Truth from Certain Sinners...

Or outright LIE to them about what the Book says.

A Dangerous Path you Follow if you are calling yourself a Christian. :thup:

Jesus never Spoke about his Father's Disgust with Homosexuality... Or Beastiality...

Which are Listed together in Moral Law.

Does Jesus Approve of both or either?...

Does Jesus Condone Sin?

Can you Answer those Questions?

peace...

It's fascinating that no one has commented on BP's post about the translation of the portion of the bible where God supposedly condemns homosexuals.

Very fascinating.

It's fascinating that no one has commented on BP's post about the translation of the portion of the bible where God supposedly condemns homosexuals.

Very fascinating.

There are many translations by nonbelievers who purposely twist scripture. Just because you find a translation that agrees with you doesn't mean it's a correct translation. That's cultic.

Jesus made one statement about men and women joining. Most of the rest of the Bible quotes in this thread are not from the NT. Jesus did not teach on homosexuality one way or another.

Jesus made one statement about men and women joining. Most of the rest of the Bible quotes in this thread are not from the NT. Jesus did not teach on homosexuality one way or another.

He also didn't teach on drunkeness and gluttony, yet both are condemned in the Scriptures. Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Deal with it.

Last edited:

And you would be incorrect. I spend a great deal of time in prayer and meditation asking for confirmation of the conclusions I have reached. I just figured that part was kind of a given, you know?

And how can you so blindly make a statement such as the one I bolded? How long has it been since you've attended a church? A guy 'wearing a robe?' :lol: Sounds like you haven't been in a church in over 30 years.

Actually a little over a year. The pastor was wearing jeans and a Trailblazers t-shirt. You miss the point. It's a generalized statement about authority figures.

But what I see in those words is disrespect and condescension. On one hand you say to have an 'open mind', but on the other, it appears to me that yours is closed. You make assumptions about people, label them, and then put them down by calling them blind sheep because you don't agree with how you *think* they practice their religion. And I say how you think they practice, because in reality you have absolutely no idea what these people do in their day to day lives. I can tell you that you are comletely and 100% wrong based from my own experiences in my own church. Perhaps you should take the blinders off and visit a few churches before you make such broad based assumptions about Christians today.

Oh I see "Christians" on a daily basis. Like any group there are those who follow their faith, and there are those who only profess to. I have been to far too many churches that claimed to be so full of the Holy Spirit and listened to them gossip like hens behind each other's backs, question the faith of those who didn't show up for services that day, talk trash about how this person is not as holy as they are, how that person is surely going to hell because they haven't quit smoking yet, blah, blah, blah. Pffft....Christians my ass. Those kind of Christians I can do without.

Then you have your Christians who go through the ceremony without feeling, without really paying attention, without really caring and they do it because they figure that's what they are supposed to do. "God wants us to go to church so ok, here I am...now let's get this over with so I can be forgiven and get back to the football game." Might as well just stay home. They are wasting their time.

Now there are other Christians who don't do that kind of stuff. They pray, they seek God, they grow within Her guidance, and for the most part they mind their own business and let others do the same. Unfortunately, you don't meet a lot of them at church because usually they are just as sick of the other kinds as I am.

Now at certain times in my life I have been all three of these kinds of Christians because the journey is dynamic and so I look at all these people and generally I don't get involved. I don't get in someone's face and tell them to pay attention to the sermon, or really try to force them to do one thing or the other. It's between them and God and I figure when I can walk on water then I can tell other people how to live their lives.

But I will get involved when I see "Christians" attacking those who do not share their faith or attempting to degrade and oppress a group of people for their own religious purposes. Especially when I know good and well that their reasons for doing so are not supported by scripture. So when it comes to issues about homosexuality, I will get strongly involved in that fight because as an American I am not going to sit idly by and watch the United States Constitution get trashed and American citizens denied their rights based upon a religious perception that doesn't have a shred of Biblical evidence to support it.

Now if you look over my posts you will see that never did I call anyone out by name (at least I don't think I did) and never did I say specifically that "this person is a good Christian" or "that person is a bad Christian". That's not the point I am trying to make. You will notice I use a lot of words like "most", "many", "usually", etc. You take that to mean "all", "every", and "always", but that is in error. I try very hard to avoid speaking in absolutes because absolutes are rarely accurate.

Now if you have found a great church where you are comfortable and have fellowship and it gives you strength within the Lord, well Hallelujah! Praise the Lord, I am happy for you. Personally, I have yet to find one that isn't a coffee klatch or so filled with ritual that the meaning and passion is lost.....and trust me....I have looked.

He also didn't teach on drunkeness and gluttony, yet both are condemned in the Scriptures. Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Deal with it.

I deal with it just fine. I left the RCC to practice Buddhism. Here is the Third Precept on Sexual Misconduct:

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I undertake to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long- term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Absent is any admonition that homosexuality is a sin. That's how I deal with Jesus. He's not my main teacher. Buddhist precepts on sexual misconduct are the same whether addressing homosexuals or heterosexuals. My wife and I were married by my Buddhist Lama with my entire Buddhist community present as witness and support.

Last edited:
Well, no offense, Del, but that's just simply not true. ;) I don't start thread after thread here calling out other's people's beliefs and belittling them because of it. This thread was started for that very reason, yet you seem to have no trouble with that? I respect you Del, but in this case I think you let your bias cloud your judgment. As long as you agree with the premise, it doesn't matter if it's belittling or condescending to others, especially if it's aimed at a group that you hold disdain for, i.e. what you see as 'judgmental christians'. I guess I just don't see the people that you agree with as being any different than the so called 'judgmental christians', they're just as judgmental and condescening, they're just from the other side of the fence, i.e. flip side of the same coin. I understand that to meet with your approval, those of us with faith and respect should just take the mockery of our beliefs in silence, so I guess it's good that I care about your approval about as much as you care about mine. :lol:

no offense, newby, but if missing the point was an olympic sport, you'd be a gold medalist.

have a nice day

I didn't miss the point, since I've been posting in two threads very similar, I lost track of which thread I was posting in. The thread I'm referring to in my remarks is the one started by Betty. But, doesn't surprise me that all you have is some condescending, smart ass remark to make in return. And yet you don't think you're 'righteous'? :lol: Do you ever have a serious and honest conversation with anyone, or is your only MO to belittle?

Have a nice day yourself..

you too, ms kettle :lol:

Forum List

Back