Jobless claims drop to lowest level in eight years

Bout what I expected

In fact, the number has been dropping for 15 years. Damned Boomers don't want to work anymore

so what you are really saying is obama hasn't lowered unemployment, retirement has. pretty much what I thought

You can't play both sides of the fence

Retirees count or they don't. Unemployment is calculated the same way it has been for 40 years

Economic good news

Jobless claims drop to 284,000, lowest since 2006

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell last week to its lowest level in eight years.

The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000. That's the lowest reading since February 2006, nearly two years before the Great Recession began.

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, declined 7,250 to 302,000. Claims for jobless aid have been falling for the past three months.

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. When businesses hold onto staff, increased hiring and stronger economic growth often follows.

Hiring is at its healthiest clip since the late 1990s and the 6.1 percent unemployment rate is at a 5 1/2-year low. Employers added 288,000 jobs in June, the fifth straight month of job gains above 200,000.

yet more people are out of work than at any point in 8 years
BULLSHIT!

There were 12,058,000 unemployed when Obama took office and 15,352,000 at the peak of the Bush Depression.
There are 9,474,000 unemployed now.

Bout what I expected

In fact, the number has been dropping for 15 years. Damned Boomers don't want to work anymore

so what you are really saying is obama hasn't lowered unemployment, retirement has. pretty much what I thought
BULLSHIT!

There were 12,058,000 unemployed when Obama took office and 15,352,000 at the peak of the Bush Depression.

Bout what I expected

You can't play both sides of the fence

Retirees count or they don't. Unemployment is calculated the same way it has been for 40 years

yet there you are playing both sides of the fence trying to claim obama is responsible for the drop.

Bout what I expected

BULLSHIT!

9474000 applying for unemployment benefits, not unemployed. lets be clear here ok.

... and the labor participation rate is the lowest in 40 years... people have given up. And why shouldn't they? The Dems have made it pretty clear that nobody should have to work.

I thought the unemployment numbers were the most important economic indicator to conservatives. Why the sudden shift to Labor Participation Rate?

Why didn't conservatives mention the Labor Participation Rate when it dropped every year under Bush?

Lots and lots of Cons bitched up a storm about some of the things Bush did or din't do,it just pin heads like yourself with their fingers in their ears missed it.

But thats not really the point,Bush has been gone for how long?? time to take responsibility for the present.

BULLSHIT!

9474000 applying for unemployment benefits, not unemployed. lets be clear here ok.

Let's be clear....Ed is citing the official Unemployment level which is not and has never been based on unemployment benefits. The reference week for June for the Current Population Survey was the week ending June 14. The seasonally adjusted number of unemployed (defined as did not work the week ending June 14th, could have started work that week, and looked for work in the 4 weeks ending with June 14th) was 9,474,000 and the not seasonally adjusted number was 9,893,000 Table A-1

That same week, the total number of people receiving benefits from all programs was 2,469,219 (not seasonally adjusted) Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims

Seriously, if you don't even know the definition of Unemployed or where the data comes from, how do you hope to talk intelligently about the topic????

BULLSHIT!

Let's be clear....Ed is citing the official Unemployment level which is not and has never been based on unemployment benefits. The reference week for June for the Current Population Survey was the week ending June 14. The seasonally adjusted number of unemployed (defined as did not work the week ending June 14th, could have started work that week, and looked for work in the 4 weeks ending with June 14th) was 9,474,000 and the not seasonally adjusted number was 9,893,000 Table A-1
now i will ask you

Economic good news

Jobless claims drop to 284,000, lowest since 2006

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell last week to its lowest level in eight years.

The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000. That's the lowest reading since February 2006, nearly two years before the Great Recession began.

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, declined 7,250 to 302,000. Claims for jobless aid have been falling for the past three months.

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. When businesses hold onto staff, increased hiring and stronger economic growth often follows.

Hiring is at its healthiest clip since the late 1990s and the 6.1 percent unemployment rate is at a 5 1/2-year low. Employers added 288,000 jobs in June, the fifth straight month of job gains above 200,000.

BULLSHIT!

I don't understand why this is so hard.

When you look at "unemployed" numbers, how do you think they determine who is unemployed and who is not?

Do you see a bunch of Washington Bureaucrats running around asking "are you employed? Are you employed? Are you employed?"

The way they determine who is unemployed, is by looking at unemployment claims.

But those numbers can change based on the requirements to make those claims.

One of the last things Bush did just before leaving office, was to give a massive extension to unemployment benefits.

Bush signs bill to extend unemployment benefits - Nov. 21, 2008

Remember?

Economists discovered that more benefits resulted in more unemployed.
Extended Benefits Kept U.S. Jobless Rate Higher, Study Says - Real Time Economics - WSJ

People change their behavior to reflect the fact they do have income coming in, verses those who have no income coming in. Those who did not, were more likely to get back into the work force quicker.

... and the labor participation rate is the lowest in 40 years... people have given up. And why shouldn't they? The Dems have made it pretty clear that nobody should have to work.

I thought the unemployment numbers were the most important economic indicator to conservatives. Why the sudden shift to Labor Participation Rate?

Why didn't conservatives mention the Labor Participation Rate when it dropped every year under Bush?

Lots and lots of Cons bitched up a storm about some of the things Bush did or din't do,it just pin heads like yourself with their fingers in their ears missed it.

But thats not really the point,Bush has been gone for how long?? time to take responsibility for the present.

We are

How bout those unemployment numbers baby! Dropped 4%!

BULLSHIT!

When you look at "unemployed" numbers, how do you think they determine who is unemployed and who is not?

Do you see a bunch of Washington Bureaucrats running around asking "are you employed? Are you employed? Are you employed?"

But those numbers can change based on the requirements to make those claims.

One of the last things Bush did just before leaving office, was to give a massive extension to unemployment benefits.

Bush signs bill to extend unemployment benefits - Nov. 21, 2008

Remember?

Economists discovered that more benefits resulted in more unemployed.
Extended Benefits Kept U.S. Jobless Rate Higher, Study Says - Real Time Economics - WSJ

People change their behavior to reflect the fact they do have income coming in, verses those who have no income coming in. Those who did not, were more likely to get back into the work force quicker.

You couldn't be further from the truth. The monthly unemployment rate is based on a household survey of 60,000 households per month. The monthly jobs added/lost report is based on an employment survey of 144,000 businesses and government agencies.

Last edited:

We are

thank god for baby boomers retiring

We are

Don't forget that we've added jobs. I think you are trying to argue two different things here. The Labor Force Participation Rate has been declining due to the boomers retiring. The unemployment rate has been dropping because we've actually been adding jobs.

We are

Don't forget that we've added jobs. I think you are trying to argue two different things here. The Labor Force Participation Rate has been declining due to the boomers retiring. The unemployment rate has been dropping because we've actually been adding jobs.

government jobs and burger flippers.

Link? You obviously haven't been paying attention to any of the monthly labor reports.

No..not government jobs.

And most of the jobs are averaging around 21/22 bucks an hour.

So unless it's a high end restaurant? They aren't flipping burgers.

No..not government jobs.

And most of the jobs are averaging around 21/22 bucks an hour.

So unless it's a high end restaurant? They aren't flipping burgers.

What about high end burger joints? :razz:

HTML:

It' Census workers, actually...personal visits from regional offices and phone calls from the Maryland call center. And it's a long survey with lots of questions. Current Population Survey (CPS) - A Joint Effort Between the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Here's what I don't get...you did no research and have no source, yet state it as truth. Why would you do that? What made you think it was true?

Forum List

Back