Jobless claims drop to lowest level in eight years

OK since the number working was a failure for you, just move the goalposts to the unemployed.

There were 12,058,000 unemployed when Obama took office and there are 9,474,000 unemployed now.

Again those only include the ones in the system.
What do you mean "in the system?" Surely you don't think the unemployment numbers only include people collecting benefits???? (they have never been based on benefits)

The jobless claims only measure those in the system. The general unemployment numbers, are based off the CPS, which surveys 60,000 households.

Now from there, according to the BLS own records, the response rates to the surveys is between 44% and 63%. So we can say that roughly half of those households respond to the survey. So we are looking at a mere 30,000 households, to determine the unemployment rate of 310 Million people.

If the households surveyed happen to have a bunch of kids, and a significant number hit the 15 years old, which is the age at which they are counted, then sudden unemployment ticks up. Ten 15 year-olds, is 30,000 more unemployed people.

At the other end, 10 people age 60, who are laid off during an economic downturn, 5-years later are in the retirement age, and drop off the unemployment rate, even though nothing improved. Suddenly magically, the unemployed drop by 30,000 people.

Then you have other things, like family business. Down the street where I live, is a family restaurant. They have a dozen employees, and only 3 are paid. Everyone else is a family member. Everyone according to the survey is 'employed' even though, only 3 collect a paycheck.

Then some claim to be unemployed, even while they actually do black market work, to avoid taxes. Others want unemployment benefits, are unwilling to tell the truth, even to a survey which has no ability to tell Unemployment Comp, nor the police.

Another interesting problem, was the people who work for charity while they are unemployed. As long as they put in, if I remember right, 15 hours at the charity, they are counted as employed, even though they are earning nothing.

That's just a sample of the problems with the CPS, not including the issues with things like where they pick their samples. North Dakota is booming. Michigan is crashing. If the number of respondents from ND is high, and MI is low, unemployment just dropped magically. If the number of respondents from ND is low, and MI is high, magically unemployment just went up.

And then you have the weighted responses. Weighting the responses is that in the data, you give a higher priority to one response, over another response. So response X is considered highly important, while response Y is considered not so important. While the other aspects of the survey are fairly straight forward, the weighting system wasn't explained as well, at least not with what I read from the BLS web site.

Conclusion...

I have two main takeaways from all of this.

First, I have a huge problem with the blind acceptance of government statistics as divinely inspired. They are most certainly not. Everything should be looked at, with a skeptical eye.

Second, I do not have any problem believing that unemployment has in fact fallen. What I do have a problem with, is giving credit to a particular individual for it either it going up, or it going down.

Obama is not responsible for unemployment falling, than Bush is of it going up.

The reality is, the policies that directly caused the sub-prime melt down, were put in place before Obama, or Bush, was ever in office.

In fact, the only policy that Bush is responsible for, that did create some amount of unemployment, was the raising of the minimum wage. I do blame him for that. The problem there is, the left is complaining about Bush increasing unemployment, while at the same time pushing the very policy he pushed, that caused higher unemployment.

Again those only include the ones in the system.
What do you mean "in the system?" Surely you don't think the unemployment numbers only include people collecting benefits???? (they have never been based on benefits)

The jobless claims only measure those in the system.
Correct, but ed was citing the CPS numbers and Politico claimed that those were only the ones "in the system." I was asking for Politico's understanding.

From there, according to the BLS own records, the response rates to the surveys is between 44% and 63%.
I don't know where you're looking, but the response rate has always hovered around 90%. The non-response rate in December 2013 was about 89.5%

If the households surveyed happen to have a bunch of kids, and a significant number hit the 15 years old, which is the age at which they are counted, then sudden unemployment ticks up. Ten 15 year-olds, is 30,000 more unemployed people.
15 year olds are surveyed, but not published. The published data only covers those 16 and older. And they would only be considered unemployed if they were actively looking for work. Most 16 year olds are "Not in the Labor Force." So no, they wouldn't add that many unemployed.

At the other end, 10 people age 60, who are laid off during an economic downturn, 5-years later are in the retirement age, and drop off the unemployment rate, even though nothing improved. Suddenly magically, the unemployed drop by 30,000 people.
There is no upper limit for the CPS. Nobody drops off because of age.

Then you have other things, like family business. Down the street where I live, is a family restaurant. They have a dozen employees, and only 3 are paid. Everyone else is a family member. Everyone according to the survey is 'employed' even though, only 3 collect a paycheck.
Sort of. To count as employed the person would have to work 15 or more hours during the reference week for someone from the same household to whom they are related by blood or marriage and actually contribute to the operation. Why do you think this is a problem?

Then some claim to be unemployed, even while they actually do black market work, to avoid taxes. Others want unemployment benefits, are unwilling to tell the truth, even to a survey which has no ability to tell Unemployment Comp, nor the police.
Well, of course, there's always some non-sample bias. But do you have any reason to think it has any real effect on the data? It has some, but not much you can do about it. Last October, BLS had to add a note that many furloughed government workers incorrectly identified themselves as employed when by definition they were unemployed because they were temporarily laid off.

Another interesting problem, was the people who work for charity while they are unemployed. As long as they put in, if I remember right, 15 hours at the charity, they are counted as employed, even though they are earning nothing.
You recall incorrectly. Volunteer work, no matter how many hours, is not counted as employment.

That's just a sample of the problems with the CPS,
Most of which were wrong, one isn't a problem at all (unpaid family workers) and one is unlikely to have a large effect (lying).

not including the issues with things like where they pick their samples. North Dakota is booming. Michigan is crashing. If the number of respondents from ND is high, and MI is low, unemployment just dropped magically. If the number of respondents from ND is low, and MI is high, magically unemployment just went up.
Samples are proportionate to size....1 person sampled in Detroit will represent about 10 times as many people as someone from Billings. The states are divided up, then county size areas are put into strata of similar areas, with many areas being the only place in the strata.

And then you have the weighted responses. Weighting the responses is that in the data, you give a higher priority to one response, over another response. So response X is considered highly important, while response Y is considered not so important. While the other aspects of the survey are fairly straight forward, the weighting system wasn't explained as well, at least not with what I read from the BLS web site.
You'd have to show me what you're talking about....I've never heard of weighting responses like you mean.

First, I have a huge problem with the blind acceptance of government statistics as divinely inspired. They are most certainly not. Everything should be looked at, with a skeptical eye.
Of course...but the govt statistics are the best available...you go with what you got. Instant rejection is more damning.

The jobless claims only measure those in the system.
Correct, but ed was citing the CPS numbers and Politico claimed that those were only the ones "in the system." I was asking for Politico's understanding.

I don't know where you're looking, but the response rate has always hovered around 90%. The non-response rate in December 2013 was about 89.5%

15 year olds are surveyed, but not published. The published data only covers those 16 and older. And they would only be considered unemployed if they were actively looking for work. Most 16 year olds are "Not in the Labor Force." So no, they wouldn't add that many unemployed.

There is no upper limit for the CPS. Nobody drops off because of age.

Sort of. To count as employed the person would have to work 15 or more hours during the reference week for someone from the same household to whom they are related by blood or marriage and actually contribute to the operation. Why do you think this is a problem?

Well, of course, there's always some non-sample bias. But do you have any reason to think it has any real effect on the data? It has some, but not much you can do about it. Last October, BLS had to add a note that many furloughed government workers incorrectly identified themselves as employed when by definition they were unemployed because they were temporarily laid off.

You recall incorrectly. Volunteer work, no matter how many hours, is not counted as employment.

Most of which were wrong, one isn't a problem at all (unpaid family workers) and one is unlikely to have a large effect (lying).

Samples are proportionate to size....1 person sampled in Detroit will represent about 10 times as many people as someone from Billings. The states are divided up, then county size areas are put into strata of similar areas, with many areas being the only place in the strata.

You'd have to show me what you're talking about....I've never heard of weighting responses like you mean.

Of course...but the govt statistics are the best available...you go with what you got. Instant rejection is more damning.

:thup:

Conclusion...

Second, I do not have any problem believing that unemployment has in fact fallen. What I do have a problem with, is giving credit to a particular individual for it either it going up, or it going down.

Obviously you prefer failed ideology fantasy land to facts. Sucks to be you! :lol:

Conclusion...

Obviously you prefer failed ideology fantasy land to facts. Sucks to be you! :lol:

In summary...

The numbers are probably faked and even if they are not, don't credit Obama

Please add my usual response to the standard "unemployment" thread, entirely contingent upon weather it went up or down; don't feel like looking at all the cool charts and reading the same "stupid."

1 If it went down - "The liberal media is lying" (numbers are fake)

2 If it went up - "See ... the black man in the WH is keeping us down!" (in which case, numbers will be real).

YOU pick; golf awaits....

golfing.jpg

Sent from my political discussions app.

Last edited:
Economic good news

Jobless claims drop to 284,000, lowest since 2006

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell last week to its lowest level in eight years.

The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000. That's the lowest reading since February 2006, nearly two years before the Great Recession began.

^^^ Lying Liberal media it is!!!!

Oh, here's my unrelated chart ... things aren't looking so rosy AFTER all.

Vibrant.png

Now for the REAL NEWS of the day....

The One Rate That Is Not Only Not Going Down, But Is At A 13-Year High

With 77 million Americans having debt past due and the average household owing more than $15,000 in credit card debt, it appears the Fed's supposed plan to 'help Main Street' is not working so well. As the following chart from NewEdge's Brad Wishak shows, despite Fed Funds at practically zero, US credit card variable interest rates continue to rise - now at their highest since July 2001.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-29/one-rate-not-only-not-going-down-13-year-high

With 77 million Americans having debt past due and the average household owing more than $15,000 in credit card debt, it appears the Fed's supposed plan to 'help Main Street' is not working so well. As the following chart from NewEdge's Brad Wishak shows, despite Fed Funds at practically zero, US credit card variable interest rates continue to rise - now at their highest since July 2001.

The One Rate That Is Not Only Not Going Down, But Is At A 13-Year High | Zero Hedge

Maybe that's because people had to live off their credit card during a crisis

Economic good news

The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell last week to its lowest level in eight years.

The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000. That's the lowest reading since February 2006, nearly two years before the Great Recession began.

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, declined 7,250 to 302,000. Claims for jobless aid have been falling for the past three months.

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. When businesses hold onto staff, increased hiring and stronger economic growth often follows.

Hiring is at its healthiest clip since the late 1990s and the 6.1 percent unemployment rate is at a 5 1/2-year low. Employers added 288,000 jobs in June, the fifth straight month of job gains above 200,000.

Sounds great, but why are so many standing in line at the welfare office ,dipshit ? Then why does Obamas numbers keep dropping ,dipshit ? I got it figured out ,your both clueless dipshits:eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Economic good news

The four-week average, a less volatile measure, declined 7,250 to 302,000. Claims for jobless aid have been falling for the past three months.

Applications are a proxy for layoffs. When businesses hold onto staff, increased hiring and stronger economic growth often follows.

Hiring is at its healthiest clip since the late 1990s and the 6.1 percent unemployment rate is at a 5 1/2-year low. Employers added 288,000 jobs in June, the fifth straight month of job gains above 200,000.

Sounds great, but why are so many standing in line at the welfare office ,dipshit ? Then why does Obamas numbers keep dropping ,dipshit ? I got it figured out ,your both clueless dipshits:eusa_clap::eusa_clap:
Well, I'm glad to see someone is capable of calm, rational, discussion without resulting to insults and blind partisanship.

Economic good news

Well, I'm glad to see someone is capable of calm, rational, discussion without resulting to insults and blind partisanship.

You cannot have a discussion with a koolaid drinking zombie.:eusa_clap:
$LiveLeak-dot-com-732c462fa5f2-obama-kool-aid-battaile-politics-1365465516_jpg_resized.jpg

$89zzsix-500x500.jpg

$tinfoilhats_2012h.jpg

View attachment 30920

View attachment 30921

View attachment 30922
Then I won't bother responding to you again except to correct errors of fact.

Such as: they didn't drink Koolaid at Jonestown, they drank Flavor Aid

Last edited:

View attachment 30920

View attachment 30921

View attachment 30922

aa8wft.jpg

The One Rate That Is Not Only Not Going Down, But Is At A 13-Year High | Zero Hedge

But the OP states everything is better, BUT the variable interest rates continue to rise!!!!!

Last edited:

But the OP states everything is better, BUT the variable interest rates continue to rise!!!!!
No, the OP only says that initial jobless claims are low and the labor market is improving. That's hardly "everything."

Conclusion...

In summary...

The numbers are probably faked and even if they are not, don't credit Obama

Wow can't believe I am saying it. That....

Conclusion...

Funny because I listed a number of verifiable facts in my post. Which one of use is discussing facts, and which is preferring blind ideology?

Conclusion...

Funny because I listed a number of verifiable facts in my post. Which one of use is discussing facts, and which is preferring blind ideology?
Most of which I showed were not actually facts.

Forum List

Back