🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Jobs and housing project

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Sounds great doesn't it? Creating jobs and housing to revitalize downtown. Both are sorely needed.

Here is the plan. Ground floor will be restaurants and retail. Up stairs will be luxury apartments.

Can anyone guess where I am going with this?

Sounds great doesn't it? Creating jobs and housing to revitalize downtown. Both are sorely needed.

Here is the plan. Ground floor will be restaurants and retail. Up stairs will be luxury apartments.

Trump Tower?

Nowhere near the housing crisis. Luxury apartments are not affordable housing and the crisis everywhere is the lack of affordable housing.

Where are people with minimum wage service jobs in the cities supposed to live? Not in a luxury apartment. Where are young families, just starting their working careers with low level jobs just getting onto the corporate ladder, suppose to raise their families?

My youngest is waiting for the money from her grandfather's estate to fund her down payment, before she buys her first house. She's already 10 years older than I was when we bought my first house, using $2,000 in Canada Savings bonds I bought on the payroll savings plan for our down payment.

Nowhere near the housing crisis. Luxury apartments are not affordable housing and the crisis everywhere is the lack of affordable housing.

Where are people with minimum wage service jobs in the cities supposed to live? Not in a luxury apartment. Where are young families, just starting their working careers with low level jobs just getting onto the corporate ladder, suppose to raise their families?

My youngest is waiting for the money from her grandfather's estate to fund her down payment, before she buys her first house. She's already 10 years older than I was when we bought my first house, using $2,000 in Canada Savings bonds I bought on the payroll savings plan for our down payment.
I read someplace in California that it costs a half million dollars per unit to build "low cost" housing. WTF! :confused-84:

The hypocrisy of zoning laws. I can't operate a business out of my home but when the gubbermint is involved, they can mix use til the cows come home.

I read someplace in California that it costs a half million dollars per unit to build "low cost" housing. WTF! :confused-84:

Land prices. Then there's the costs of installing public services - roads, sidewalks, gas, electric, and water hook ups. These costs can range from $3,000 to $15,000 per unit depending on the municipality. Needless to say, it's a lot more money installing these connections on a single lot in the city, than it is in multiple sequential lots in an all new subdivision in a rural area.

Infrastructure for a large building or complex is different than for a large apartment building because of the number of individual units involved. The water and sewage requirements for 10 single family homes on a 5 acre parcel, each with a half acre lot, are far different than for a 125 suite apartment building on the same size parcel of land. 40 - 50 people versus 200 people. It can also affect traffic patterns in the surrounding neighbourhood.

When building apartment buildings, it can take up to 2 years to get all development and cost sharing agreements with the municipality for the installation and maintenance of the municipal lines and services installed. It takes and enormous amount of water and sewage capacity to provide services to a 200 unit apartment building, whether it's a low income building or a luxury building. The municipality has to consider the impact of the new residents on the overall community in terms of parks, libraries, and schools, and price their building permits accordingly. Developers are often required to donate land for pubic parks or schools, for large subdivisions, in addition to the lands for municipal roads and sidewalks. The costs of the paving of roads and sidewalks will be factored into the impost charges to the developers.

Your basic infrastructure and and impost costs are going to be the same for both low cost and luxury buildings, but what will differientiate your low cost units from the luxury suites, will be the size of the individual apartments, and the costs of the fixtures, fit and finishes used in their completion.

Cleveland teens give abandoned homes second life in new career development program​

Sounds like a good place to store illegals to me.

Forum List

Back