🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Joe Biden 1992

Well, well, come to find out that in 1992, then-Senator Joe Biden argued that the Senate should not even hold confirmation hearings if a vacancy on the Supreme Court opened up and President Bush submitted a nominee:

Biden Urged to Hold Off on Supreme Court Nominees in '92

Biden in ’92: No election-season Supreme Court nominees

Of course, Senator Chuck Schumer said much the same thing in July 2007, 18 months before the end of George W. Bush's second term. He said the Senate should block any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court if a spot became available.

Chuck Schumer in 2007: Senate Should Block Supreme Court Nominees for 18 Months - Breitbart

But, oh my, liberals are now screaming that it would be shocking and outrageous for the Republicans to block Obama's Supreme Court nominee, even though Obama barely has 11 months left in office.

Well, well, come to find out that in 1992, then-Senator Joe Biden argued that the Senate should not even hold confirmation hearings if a vacancy on the Supreme Court opened up and President Bush submitted a nominee:

Of course, Senator Chuck Schumer said much the same thing in July 2007, 18 months before the end of George W. Bush's second term. He said the Senate should block any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court if a spot became available.

Chuck Schumer in 2007: Senate Should Block Supreme Court Nominees for 18 Months - Breitbart

But, oh my, liberals are now screaming that it would be shocking and outrageous for the Republicans to block Obama's Supreme Court nominee, even though Obama barely has 11 months left in office.

Do you people ever actually read each other's threads, or do you just come here to talk to yourselves?

Supreme court nomination 2016.png

Last one.​

So what?

Obviously right wingers are telling us that Biden was WRONG.......So, what do they do????

They want to continue the error and pay the same consequences.......Go for it, right wingers !!!

So what?
As I posted on the other thread about Biden's Senate floor speech:

my take away -- after listening to the full hour and a half speech (which I doubt many here will listen to), a cuppla things

Sen Joe Biden DDE Supreme Court Confirmation | User Clip | C-SPAN.org <---link to full speech

First, it was late June when he made this statement - not Feb. Biden states specifically in his extended speech : It was about a president nominating a candidate in the "summer or fall of an election season" Direct quote. He also was calling for a compromise candidate, and said he would consider one later in the speech.

2. There was no vacancy when Biden made that statement, that meant anyone on the Bench (wink to Byron White) when he said who might have made the decision to step down (a point he makes over and over) would be undergoing a confirmation process in the fall of the election year.

Something else he notes: Between Reagan and Bush at that point in 1992, Between just Reagan and Bush, the GOP had already named 8 nominees for SIX positions on the court.
8 out of 9 SCJ's had been picked by republican presidents.

I recommend a listen to the full Biden at the above link.

Doubt any connie will, but for others interested -- It's awesome.

Also, too:

Worth a minute's watch:

A little further into the speech, Biden called for a "compromise" pick -- and when you look at the makeup of the court at the time:

John Paul Stevens - Appointed by Ford
William Rehnquist - Appointed by Nixon - Appointed to CJ by Reagan
Sandra Day O’Connor - Appointed by Reagan
Antonin Scalia - Appointed by Reagan
Anthony Kennedy - Appointed by Reagan
Clarence Thomas - Appointed by GHW Bush
David Souter.- Appointed by GHW Bush
Harry Blackmun - Appointed by Nixon

Byron White - Appointed by Kennedy

... with Byron White, the only Dem nominated Justice, signalling he perhaps might be retiring (White actually retired the following year), and the real probability of the entire slate of Justices being GOP, which swung far right in the previous decade...there was real concern of a totally stacked court.

Still, Biden was talking about what would have been a fall election year hearing in his hypothetical, and Biden goes on to say "compromise is the responsible course both for the White House and for the Senate:"

From that same 1992 clip: "If the President consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections absent consultation, then his nominees may enjoy my support as did Justices Kennedy and Souter. But if he does not, as is the President's right, then I will oppose his future nominees, as is my right."

Forum List

Back