John F. Kennedy.. Democrats

...just sayin..

June 10, 1964
Civil Rights Filibuster Ended

At 9:51 on the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert C. Byrd completed an address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier. The subject was the pending Civil Rights Act of 1964, a measure that occupied the Senate for 60 working days, including seven Saturdays. A day earlier, Democratic Whip Hubert Humphrey, the bill's manager, concluded he had the 67 votes required at that time to end the debate.

The Civil Rights Act provided protection of voting rights; banned discrimination in public facilities—including private businesses offering public services—such as lunch counters, hotels, and theaters; and established equal employment opportunity as the law of the land.

As Senator Byrd took his seat, House members, former senators, and others—150 of them—vied for limited standing space at the back of the chamber. With all gallery seats taken, hundreds waited outside in hopelessly extended lines.

Georgia Democrat Richard Russell offered the final arguments in opposition. Minority Leader Everett Dirksen, who had enlisted the Republican votes that made cloture a realistic option, spoke for the proponents with his customary eloquence. Noting that the day marked the 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's nomination to a second term, the Illinois Republican proclaimed, in the words of Victor Hugo, "Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come." He continued, "The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing in government, in education, and in employment. It will not be stayed or denied. It is here!"

Never in history had the Senate been able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a civil rights bill. And only once in the 37 years since 1927 had it agreed to cloture for any measure.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Senate Stories > 1964-Present > Civil Rights Filibuster Ended

Same old BS. You right wingers always leave out THIS:

By party and region

Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7%–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0%–100%)

Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%–15%)

The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5%–95%)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0%–100%)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%–2%)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%–16%)

You consider historical facts in regards to Democrats as BS..interesting...:eusa_think:

Support for the Civil Rights Act was divided by REGION, not party. The conservative south against the liberal north.

There was not ONE southern conservative from either party that supported the bill. Fast forward to today, and it is still liberals who support the rights of minorities. Examples, gays, Hispanics and Muslims.

The history of mankind has been a struggle between those who want to increase freedom, opportunity and rights to all people and those who want to restrict them. The people who have always fought to increase freedom, opportunity and rights are liberals. The people who have fought to restrict them are conservatives.

...just sayin..

June 10, 1964
Civil Rights Filibuster Ended

At 9:51 on the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert C. Byrd completed an address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier. The subject was the pending Civil Rights Act of 1964, a measure that occupied the Senate for 60 working days, including seven Saturdays. A day earlier, Democratic Whip Hubert Humphrey, the bill's manager, concluded he had the 67 votes required at that time to end the debate.

The Civil Rights Act provided protection of voting rights; banned discrimination in public facilities—including private businesses offering public services—such as lunch counters, hotels, and theaters; and established equal employment opportunity as the law of the land.

As Senator Byrd took his seat, House members, former senators, and others—150 of them—vied for limited standing space at the back of the chamber. With all gallery seats taken, hundreds waited outside in hopelessly extended lines.

Georgia Democrat Richard Russell offered the final arguments in opposition. Minority Leader Everett Dirksen, who had enlisted the Republican votes that made cloture a realistic option, spoke for the proponents with his customary eloquence. Noting that the day marked the 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's nomination to a second term, the Illinois Republican proclaimed, in the words of Victor Hugo, "Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come." He continued, "The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing in government, in education, and in employment. It will not be stayed or denied. It is here!"

Never in history had the Senate been able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a civil rights bill. And only once in the 37 years since 1927 had it agreed to cloture for any measure.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Senate Stories > 1964-Present > Civil Rights Filibuster Ended

By party and region

Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The Senate version:

You consider historical facts in regards to Democrats as BS..interesting...:eusa_think:

100% of Southern Republicans voted against the Civil Rights Act

Also, 16% of NORTHERN Republicans opposed it vs 5% of Democrats

By party and region

The Senate version:

Support for the Civil Rights Act was divided by REGION, not party. The conservative south against the liberal north.

There was not ONE southern conservative from either party that supported the bill. Fast forward to today, and it is still liberals who support the rights of minorities. Examples, gays, Hispanics and Muslims.

The history of mankind has been a struggle between those who want to increase freedom, opportunity and rights to all people and those who want to restrict them. The people who have always fought to increase freedom, opportunity and rights are liberals. The people who have fought to restrict them are conservatives.

This is why many consider you an unbalanced liar and not worth wasting their time with..:eusa_hand:

This is why many consider you an unbalanced liar and not worth wasting their time with..:eusa_hand:

Name a conservative advocate for minority rights? There are none.

You forgot to mention that his pants are on fire

By party and region

The Senate version:

Alas Right-tingler, without Republicans it was doomed to failure, so say Thank You and move on.:lol:..

Alas Right-tingler, without Republicans it was doomed to failure, so say Thank You and move on.:lol:..

Ummmmm.......it wouldn't have passed without the Democrats either

You are welcome

Ummmmm.......it wouldn't have passed without the Democrats either

You are welcome

Those were the Days.. you're the girl (as usual)..:lol:

[ame=http://youtu.be/AyaTIXdN5fI]Mary Hopkin Those were the days - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
[MENTION=19734]Lumpy 1[/MENTION]
Where have They All Gone..?

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy

The best road to progress is freedom's road.
John F. Kennedy

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
John F. Kennedy

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.
John F. Kennedy

Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy Quotes - BrainyQuote

Imbeciles who selectively pick quotes of JFK to denounce Democrats today deserve to be mocked.

JFK was more like his brothers Bobby and Ted than most people would like to believe.

JFK was not a supply side follower, but he did go against the wisdom of some of his advisors
and chose the wisdom of other advisors in using tax cuts in a demand side scheme.

JFK was despised and condemned by most every conservative and right winger of his day...and even by many leftists.....you most likely interchangeably use the terms Democrat, progressive, leftist, liberal....to describe some mythic group

Now please...stfu

HaHa Wingnuts have always tried to claim the beloved JFK as a president who would really hate the Democrats of today. He laughed about Republicans..

JFK Humor

"I have just received the following telegram from my generous Daddy. It says, "Dear Jack: Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide." (Gridiron Dinner, Washington, D.C., 1958)

"Several nights ago, I dreamed that the good Lord touched me on the shoulder and said, 'Don't worry, you'll be the Democratic presidential nominee in 1960. What's more, you'll be elected.' I told Stu Symington about my dream. 'Funny thing,' said Stu, 'I had the same dream myself.' We both told our dreams to Lyndon Johnson, and Johnson said, 'That's funny. For the life of me, I can't remember tapping either of you two boys for the job.'

"Mr. Nixon in the last seven days has called me an economic ignoramus, a Pied Piper, and all the rest. I've just confined myself to calling him a Republican, but he says that is getting low."

"I have sent him [former President Harry S Truman] the following wire: 'Dear Mr. President: I have noted with interest your suggestion as to where those who vote for my opponent should go. While I understand and sympathize with your deep motivation, I think it is important that our side try to refrain from raising the religious issue."

Question: The Republican National Committee recently adopted a resolution saying you were pretty much of a failure. How do you feel about that?

President Kennedy: I assume it passed unanimously. (July 17, 1963)

Question: Senator, when does the moratorium end on Nixon's hospitalization and your ability to attack him?

Kennedy: Well, I said I would not mention him unless I could praise him until he got out of the hospital, and I have not mentioned him. (September 9, 1960)

FACTS...

Civil Rights Act of 1964

220px-President_Kennedy_addresses_nation_on_Civil_Rights%2C_11_June_1963.jpg

Origins

The bill was called for by President John F. Kennedy in his civil rights speech of June 11, 1963, in which he asked for legislation "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theaters, retail stores, and similar establishments," as well as "greater protection for the right to vote." Kennedy delivered this speech following a series of protests from the African-American community, the most concurrent being the Birmingham campaign which concluded in May 1963.

Emulating the Civil Rights Act of 1875, Kennedy's civil rights bill included provisions to ban discrimination in public accommodations, and to enable the U.S. Attorney General to join in lawsuits against state governments which operated segregated school systems, among other provisions. However, it did not include a number of provisions deemed essential by civil rights leaders including protection against police brutality, ending discrimination in private employment, or granting the Justice Department power to initiate desegregation or job discrimination lawsuits.

Wiki really?

Are you disputing the FACTS GWV? You are welcome to try to disprove it.

Our Documents - Civil Rights Act (1964)

In a nationally televised address on June 6, 1963, President John F. Kennedy urged the nation to take action toward guaranteeing equal treatment of every American regardless of race. Soon after, Kennedy proposed that Congress consider civil rights legislation that would address voting rights, public accommodations, school desegregation, nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs, and more.

Despite Kennedy’s assassination in November of 1963, his proposal culminated in the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson just a few hours after House approval on July 2, 1964.

Eisenhower proposed Civil Rights legislation in '57, Kennedy opposed it because the party chiefs did not want it happening under a Republican Administration...

Johnson was a Southern Democrat, ****** was part of his normal vocabulary...

I'll make you a bet, game?

Here's the bet: Which party had a higher percentage of it's members vote for the '64 act, Democrats or Republicans?

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
John F. Kennedy

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.
John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Imbeciles who selectively pick quotes of JFK to denounce Democrats today deserve to be mocked.

JFK was more like his brothers Bobby and Ted than most people would like to believe.

JFK was not a supply side follower, but he did go against the wisdom of some of his advisors
and chose the wisdom of other advisors in using tax cuts in a demand side scheme.

JFK was despised and condemned by most every conservative and right winger of his day...and even by many leftists.....you most likely interchangeably use the terms Democrat, progressive, leftist, liberal....to describe some mythic group

Now please...stfu

I'm sensing guilt, excuses and boring stuff, did Gollum find his heart ?

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Now please...stfu

HaHa Wingnuts have always tried to claim the beloved JFK as a president who would really hate the Democrats of today. He laughed about Republicans..

JFK Humor

"I have just received the following telegram from my generous Daddy. It says, "Dear Jack: Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide." (Gridiron Dinner, Washington, D.C., 1958)

"Several nights ago, I dreamed that the good Lord touched me on the shoulder and said, 'Don't worry, you'll be the Democratic presidential nominee in 1960. What's more, you'll be elected.' I told Stu Symington about my dream. 'Funny thing,' said Stu, 'I had the same dream myself.' We both told our dreams to Lyndon Johnson, and Johnson said, 'That's funny. For the life of me, I can't remember tapping either of you two boys for the job.'

"Mr. Nixon in the last seven days has called me an economic ignoramus, a Pied Piper, and all the rest. I've just confined myself to calling him a Republican, but he says that is getting low."

"I have sent him [former President Harry S Truman] the following wire: 'Dear Mr. President: I have noted with interest your suggestion as to where those who vote for my opponent should go. While I understand and sympathize with your deep motivation, I think it is important that our side try to refrain from raising the religious issue."

Question: The Republican National Committee recently adopted a resolution saying you were pretty much of a failure. How do you feel about that?

Question: Senator, when does the moratorium end on Nixon's hospitalization and your ability to attack him?

Kennedy: Well, I said I would not mention him unless I could praise him until he got out of the hospital, and I have not mentioned him. (September 9, 1960)

I have never claimed him, never will...

He was an elitist, the family still is...

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Now please...stfu

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Now please...stfu

I remember the day he was killed .. I was in elementary school, we all were sent home from school and I recall the crying, the tears and an odd quiet on everyone's face. It changed the country..

----------------------:eusa_pray:

From the day it happened, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy was a story that was inextricably linked to television. The gravity and choked emotion in the voice of CBS anchor Walter Cronkite, as he made the official on-air announcement that the 46-year-old Kennedy was dead, reflected the country’s collective shock and grief.

TV remembers President John F. Kennedy, as the 50th anniversary of his assassination approaches | OregonLive.com

:laugh2:

Oh please, what grade? The memories of small children in times of stress or trauma are as unreliable as the claims of a self-proclaimed honest conservative rightwinger

Id rather apologize for being a temporary putz..

Now it's your turn..:lol:

Now please...stfu

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

Now please...stfu

I remember the day he was killed .. I was in elementary school, we all were sent home from school and I recall the crying, the tears and an odd quiet on everyone's face. It changed the country..

----------------------:eusa_pray:

From the day it happened, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy was a story that was inextricably linked to television. The gravity and choked emotion in the voice of CBS anchor Walter Cronkite, as he made the official on-air announcement that the 46-year-old Kennedy was dead, reflected the country’s collective shock and grief.

TV remembers President John F. Kennedy, as the 50th anniversary of his assassination approaches | OregonLive.com

:laugh2:

Oh please, what grade? The memories of small children in times of stress or trauma are as unreliable as the claims of a self-proclaimed honest conservative rightwinger

If there were a good son and a bad son which one would you prefer to be?

I know the answer... it's sooooo obvious..:lol:

I'm sorry, I just don't feel like being serious at this time..maybe later..:thup:

btw.. did you get that penile implant and if so, hows it working out..are the girls still laughing?

Now please...stfu

JFK Humor

I have never claimed him, never will...

He was an elitist, the family still is...

A whole family of 'elitists', who have dedicated their public lives to helping the poor, the disabled, the disadvantaged and the forgotten.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Kennedys have never been 'for sale'.

"The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened."
President John F. Kennedy

Id rather apologize for being a temporary putz..

Now it's your turn..:lol:

There have been a few...Everett Dirksen was a great man, and a master legislator.

19CNCwarren-articleInline.jpg

The Greek definition of happiness is full use of ones powers along the lines of excellence.
President John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy

killing kennedy based on the book by Bill O'Reilly was on the Geo channel this evening

pretty well done

Forum List

Back