Journalist says a CBP officer withheld his passport until he agreed he writes 'propaganda'

j-mac

Nuthin' but the truth
Oct 8, 2013
South Carolina
It took a moment for Ben Watson to realize the officer was not joking.

Watson had just told the Customs and Border Protection staffer reviewing his passport that he works in journalism. Then, the seemingly routine Thursday encounter at Virginia's Dulles International Airport got tense.

"So you write propaganda, right?" Watson recalled the CBP officer asking.

"No," the news editor at national security site Defense One says he replied. He affirmed again that he was journalist.

The officer repeated his propaganda question, Watson said.

"With his tone, and he's looking me in the eye - I very much realized this is not a joke," Watson told The Washington Post on Friday. The exchange that ensued as Watson returned from reporting trip in Denmark - the editor says he got his passport back only after agreeing with the "propaganda" charge to move on...

Journalist says a CBP officer withheld his passport until he agreed he writes 'propaganda'

I think this is poetic justice....The media loves to attack CBP in favor of supporting their agenda of open borders, so if they get hassled going through customs, they deserve it.

Uummmmm, I'm gonna take this story not with a block of salt but with an entire salt mine. I'm betting the journalist is lying through his teeth in order to make Customs look bad or completely misconstrued the whole event.

Uummmmm, I'm gonna take this story not with a block of salt but with an entire salt mine. I'm betting the journalist is lying through his teeth in order to make Customs look bad or completely misconstrued the whole event.

Maybe, but if true, these pukes deserve every bit of harrassment they get.

That's a nice emotional sentiment but no, don't feed them ammunition they can use against you, that's just stupid.

That's a nice emotional sentiment but no, don't feed them ammunition they can use against you, that's just stupid.

Last edited:

I'm not watching a video especially one that's most likely biased, if it's political it's biased, regardless of which side does it.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if a writer can not stand behind whatever it is that they put out there, how can they expect anyone else to take them seriously? And just how much exactly was the cop really asking that the journalist own up to? Just tell them whatever it is that they want to hear and you yourself can then press on.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I'm not watching a video especially one that's most likely biased, if it's political it's biased, regardless of which side does it.

LOL....25 seconds....Really? You can't be bothered to watch 25 seconds of someone in their own words? No commentary, nothing other than a sentence?

Wow! Then we have nothing to discuss.

LOL....25 seconds....Really? You can't be bothered to watch 25 seconds of someone in their own words? No commentary, nothing other than a sentence?

Wow! Then we have nothing to discuss.

Nope, I can't be bothered, political hacks are a waste of my time which is why I'm here on the board making fun of them....... :eusa_whistle:

Harassment is what I see and is unnecessary..

Really? Because all I see from the liberal left these days is harrassment.
Yet this is a different case from the other side that you advocate. So you are just like the "leftist", congratulations on your corruption.

Alinsky tactics don't work on me Moon, try something else....This is now war, and using the left's own tactics against them with impuginty is what is called for.

Watson had just told the Customs and Border Protection staffer reviewing his passport that he works in journalism. Then, the seemingly routine Thursday encounter at Virginia's Dulles International Airport got tense.

"No," the news editor at national security site Defense One says he replied. He affirmed again that he was journalist.

"With his tone, and he's looking me in the eye - I very much realized this is not a joke," Watson told The Washington Post on Friday. The exchange that ensued as Watson returned from reporting trip in Denmark - the editor says he got his passport back only after agreeing with the "propaganda" charge to move on...

I think this is poetic justice....The media loves to attack CBP in favor of supporting their agenda of open borders, so if they get hassled going through customs, they deserve it.
There's no mention of open borders in your link.

"Walter Shaub, an attorney who served as director of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics until 2017, tweeted that incident should go to the Department of Homeland Security's Inspector General office for review.

"A customs agent withholding the passport of a journalist until he agrees to say he writes 'propaganda' is actionable misconduct, even in Trump's America,' he said.

"A growing list of journalists say they have been startled by government officials's harassment in a country that prizes freedom of the press. The encounters are raising fears that hostile rhetoric led by President Donald Trump and his allies are damaging reporters's ability to do their job unhindered."

What makes you think an opportunistic moron like Trump is "making America great again" by threatening the First Amendment?

"Walter Shaub, an attorney who served as director of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics until 2017, tweeted that incident should go to the Department of Homeland Security's Inspector General office for review.

"A customs agent withholding the passport of a journalist until he agrees to say he writes 'propaganda' is actionable misconduct, even in Trump's America,' he said.

"A growing list of journalists say they have been startled by government officials's harassment in a country that prizes freedom of the press. The encounters are raising fears that hostile rhetoric led by President Donald Trump and his allies are damaging reporters's ability to do their job unhindered."

What makes you think an opportunistic moron like Trump is "making America great again" by threatening the First Amendment?

Oh brother...He's done less to threaten the 1st amendment than Obama did....Fact.

Oh brother...He's done less to threaten the 1st amendment than Obama did....Fact.
Did Obama do more or less to threaten the First Amendment than Dick and Dubya?
8e73b09b8d7a066d7782959f619132f8db68b53e.jpeg

National Security

Both major parties know what's coming and want as few restrictions as possible to deal with it. Trump is no different than his predecessors in this regard and his successor will likely be even worse regardless of which major party she represents. At least Obama, Dick, and Dubya read the Constitution which is probably more than Trump has done.

National Security

Both major parties know what's coming and want as few restrictions as possible to deal with it. Trump is no different than his predecessors in this regard and his successor will likely be even worse regardless of which major party she represents. At least Obama, Dick, and Dubya read the Constitution which is probably more than Trump has done.

I don't recall Bush or Nixon using the FBI and CIA to investigate and threaten journalists....Nor do I recall Trump doing that...So yeah, Obama was worse than all three...

National Security

I don't recall Bush or Nixon using the FBI and CIA to investigate and threaten journalists....Nor do I recall Trump doing that...So yeah, Obama was worse than all three...
Watergate scandal - Wikipedia

"Nixon and top administration officials discussed using government agencies to 'get' (or retaliate against) those they perceived as hostile media organizations.[36]

"Such actions had been taken before.

"At the request of Nixon's White House in 1969, the FBI tapped the phones of five reporters.

"In 1971, the White House requested an audit of the tax return of the editor of Newsday, after he wrote a series of articles about the financial dealings of Charles "Bebe" Rebozo, a friend of Nixon.[38]"

National Security

Watergate scandal - Wikipedia

"Nixon and top administration officials discussed using government agencies to 'get' (or retaliate against) those they perceived as hostile media organizations.[36]

"Such actions had been taken before.

"At the request of Nixon's White House in 1969, the FBI tapped the phones of five reporters.

"In 1971, the White House requested an audit of the tax return of the editor of Newsday, after he wrote a series of articles about the financial dealings of Charles "Bebe" Rebozo, a friend of Nixon.[38]"

Hmmmm....Interesting...So, Obama was no better than Nixon....Good to know, thanks.

Like we should believe some idiotic urinalist....

Forum List

Back