Judge: Abercrombie wrongly fired Muslim woman for wearing hijab at work.

the problem with the opinion is that it presumes that one person, employed for a few months enables A/F to prove diminished sales. that isn't the issue, the issue truly is, if every employee was not held to their dress standard, then would that hurt sales. and arguably it could as A/F is solely about a certain image.

They keep using the term "head scarf" but a hijab is generally more then that. I would have to see exactly what this woman was wearing but generally don't see how a woman wearing one would seriously disrupt A&F's operation and can see how a judge might consider allowing it a reasonable accommodation of her religion.

I doubt one would get this ruling if she was wearing a burka...a head scarf, maybe.

They are just head scarves, but wrapped in a particular way. I bought several in Egypt.

um...this case was about religion

Who said it wasn't, smart one?
Did the point fly over your head?

what was your point...? you said "if it wasn't religious"...that makes no sense since it was in fact religious.

care to explain what point supposedly flew over my head?

Seriously, do you expect little miss black Luissa to make sense? :lol: You must be in the loneliest club there is.

Here are the EEOC concerns regarding dress code and how to determine if a Title VII violation has occurred:

EEO Concerns
In the Title VII context, courts apply the three-part burdenshifting
framework established in McDonnell Douglas Corp. v.
Green.1When evaluating an appearance policy under the rigors of
Title VII, the first inquiry is whether the policy is discriminatory
on its face or whether it has a discriminatory effect.2When discrimination
is proven, an employer must provide a legitimate,
nondiscriminatory reason for its policy.3 The burden then shifts
back to the plaintiff to prove that the employer’s stated reason for
the appearance policy is a pretext for discrimination.4 In these instances,
for example, dress codes could be offered as evidence: (1)
that policies were enforced disparately (disparate treatment); (2) of
a biased environment (harassment); or (3) as proof that religious
or racial differences were not tolerated

http://www.cobar.org/repository/Inside_Bar/Labor/September 2010/2010-09_Sept2010_LaborEmployment.pdf

It is a good article. Our lawyer wannabe should take it in.

Who said it wasn't, smart one?
Did the point fly over your head?

what was your point...? you said "if it wasn't religious"...that makes no sense since it was in fact religious.

Yeah, never mind.
For starters I wasn't referring to her.

you said:

I am guessing you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves

who were you talking about and why can't you explain your point? let's see, thread is about muslim wearing head scarf, female, you then say "you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves."

it is really simple, explain who you were referring to and what exactly your point was. this is the third attempt to get you to explain yourself...and since you claim i apparently don't get it, help me understand.

Yeah, never mind.

you said:

I am guessing you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves

who were you talking about and why can't you explain your point? let's see, thread is about muslim wearing head scarf, female, you then say "you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves."

it is really simple, explain who you were referring to and what exactly your point was. this is the third attempt to get you to explain yourself...and since you claim i apparently don't get it, help me understand.

Luissa is an idiot. Hospitals sell pain pills too. Employees don't get to go in stoned just because the hospital sells the pills. Consider the source. She couldn't say the alphabet backwards if her neck depended on it.

if it was against company dress code, I dont see why she would even work there
another example of "equal rights" turning into special rights. I wonder.if she was wearing that when she got hired? that might change my mind

i agree.

she knew the dress code when she ASKED for the job. If wearing a head scarf is not something SHE can do without....then SHE should not have applied for the job.

i'm giving her a chance, hope she doesn't disappoint

I'm waiting with bated breath! Well, maybe not. But you go for it if you want. Good night Cupcake! Catch you tomorrow.

Last edited:

Yeah, never mind.

you said:

I was talking about other employees. We were talking about the dress code, and the fact they encourage their employees to wear their product. If you read my post and the post I quoted it would have been very easy to understand.
Like I said, I was not referring to her.

Yeah, never mind.

you said:

Luissa is an idiot. Hospitals sell pain pills too. Employees don't get to go in stoned just because the hospital sells the pills. Consider the source. She couldn't say the alphabet backwards if her neck depended on it.

What the hell are you talking about?
Yurt couldn't follow a thread, and you are too much of a hag to realize that.

you said:

i followed the thread. just because you made an incoherent statement doesn't mean i wasn't following the thread.

Yeah, never mind.

you said:

I was talking about other employees. We were talking about the dress code, and the fact they encourage their employees to wear their product. If you read my post and the post I quoted it would have been very easy to understand.

so other employees could wear a hijab if it wasn't religious? your comment makes zero sense as this entire case is about religious freedom. if the hijab wasn't religious, she would not have a case. so you claim about non religious head scarves is complete bullshit.

thanks for explaining though, but your snide digs only serve to make you look like a moron and it clearly shows you know jack about this case.

If a place has a dress code and an employee refuses to follow it then said employee should be fired.

As an employer it is not my responsibility to cater to anyone's backwards religious beliefs.

It is your responsibility, however, to be able to provide objective, documented evidence in support of the firing in the event of such a lawsuit.

They would have won the suit if she hadn't worked there for months wearing the scarf.

This is her wearing the type of head scarf she wore to work.

article-2416420-1BB8A40B000005DC-412_306x423.jpg

a woman can wear this scarf underneath her regular Abercrombie clothes.

I see nothing wrong with making this little adjustment in the name of religious freedom and the right to work.

Now, should employees be able to wear a full burqa? hells no.

a full niqab? hells no.

the head covering is the limit, in my view, as the other clothes cover the entire body and in the case of the niqab, the face.

customers have the RIGHT to see the damn face of their salesperson.

you said:

so other employees could wear a hijab if it wasn't religious? your comment makes zero sense as this entire case is about religious freedom. if the hijab wasn't religious, she would not have a case. so you claim about non religious head scarves is complete bullshit.

thanks for explaining though, but your snide digs only serve to make you look like a moron and it clearly shows you know jack about this case.

Did I say hijab?
I get what the case was about.
I simply said I bet they can wear a head scarf because they sell scarves in their store, and they encouraged to wear their clothing.
My comment had nothing to do with her or religious freedom. You turned my comment in to what you wanted to hear. I am sorry you didn't follow my conversation with QW, which you should have before jumping in with a post.

As for my snide comments, they were deserving. You were trying to make a jab at me by putting words in my mouth.

i followed the thread. just because you made an incoherent statement doesn't mean i wasn't following the thread.

No you couldn't, otherwise you wouldn't have made the original comment.

Did she agree to the clothing requirement before she decided to get a lawyer and collect some cash? Did she do muslem women a favor? My guess is that muslem women will not be among the favorite recruiting targets for sports wear stores and they will do everything in their power to legally avoid hiring persons who outwardly display their religious affiliation.

Forum List

Back