Judge: Abercrombie wrongly fired Muslim woman for wearing hijab at work.

if it was against company dress code, I dont see why she would even work there
another example of "equal rights" turning into special rights. I wonder.if she was wearing that when she got hired? that might change my mind

Religious rights are equal rights, not special rights.

This is a good ruling.

It is a good ruling as long as it is restricted to the facts of this case.

another example of "equal rights" turning into special rights. I wonder.if she was wearing that when she got hired? that might change my mind

Have you been in their stores? They don't have much of a dress code.

Employees are required to dress in clothing the store sells, how is that not a dress code?

They are not required, they encouraged. Which came out during a separate law suit. ;)

To those saying if she wore it at the interview that makes it okay...I'm sure A&F's dress code states "whatever you wear at the interview is the established dress code of this company".
She wore the head scarf for several months while working at the store and management never said anything to her about it.

So a de facto acknowledgement of her right to wear it on the job was set.

And that is the main reason the judge ruled in her favor. .. :cool:

I've read several articles and the judge never mentions this reason. She says the company failed to provide or back up a compelling reason for the policy to exist. A&F claimed they have a dress policy that includes no hijabs (maybe any head coverings) because otherwise it hurts sales. When asked if they have any evidence to back up sales were hurt A&F said "no".

To those saying if she wore it at the interview that makes it okay...I'm sure A&F's dress code states "whatever you wear at the interview is the established dress code of this company".
She wore the head scarf for several months while working at the store and management never said anything to her about it.

I've read several articles and the judge never mentions this reason. She says the company failed to provide or back up a compelling reason for the policy to exist. A&F claimed they have a dress policy that includes no hijabs (maybe any head coverings) because otherwise it hurts sales. When asked if they have any evidence to back up sales were hurt A&F said "no".

What makes you think the judge has to mention it for it to be true?

Employees are required to dress in clothing the store sells, how is that not a dress code?

They are not required, they encouraged. Which came out during a separate law suit. ;)

They have a very strict dress code. The mere fact that you do not approve of it does not mean it does not exist.

On how they wear certain clothes, and what colors they can wear. It still doesn't mean they are required to wear Their clothing. They are only encouraged.

I am guessing you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves. Most of their dress code has to do with what colors to wear and how to roll your sleeves.

I guess to them this women cannot be fashionable. I wonder if she cuffed her jeans properly?

I'm sure this makes sense to you since the voices in your head seem to dominate your thinking.

Can male Muslims sport a suicide vest and keep their job? Oh, I guess that is up to our Commissars - not the the employer. What about nudists, can they work in the buff, particularly really fat and old ones?

The dictatorship of the judiciary strikes again....

I'm sure this makes sense to you since the voices in your head seem to dominate your thinking.

She wore the scarf on the job for months, and was fired by a district manager after that point. That is a fact, the fact the judge doesn't mention it does not negate it being a fact.

Can male Muslims sport a suicide vest and keep their job? Oh, I guess that is up to our Commissars - not the the employer. What about nudists, can they work in the buff, particularly really fat and old ones?

The dictatorship of the judiciary strikes again....

I am guessing a suicide vest, along with nudity would violate a few laws. So I can see the restriction on that.
You might have a point if she had not been hired while wearing it, along with wearing it for four months prior.

I am guessing a suicide vest, along with nudity would violate a few laws. So I can see the restriction on that.

As long as the suicide vest was disarmed, I don't see how it is different than the Hijab. And nudism should get as much protection as Islam. Granted NOTHING gets the preference that Islam does in America, but under that whole 1st Amendment thingy, if representing servitude to men through the Hijab as honor to Islam is allowed, then nakedness as honor to the Great Goddess must also be allowed.

You might have a point if she had not been hired while wearing it, along with wearing it for four months prior.

Irrelevant really - corporate came along and found it violated policy. It is not the place of some unelected fatass to dictate A&F policy.

They have a very strict dress code. The mere fact that you do not approve of it does not mean it does not exist.

On how they wear certain clothes, and what colors they can wear. It still doesn't mean they are required to wear Their clothing. They are only encouraged.

I am guessing you could wear a head scarf if it wasn't religious, since Abercrombie sells scarves. Most of their dress code has to do with what colors to wear and how to roll your sleeves.

I guess to them this women cannot be fashionable. I wonder if she cuffed her jeans properly?

um...this case was about religion

Who said it wasn't, smart one?
Did the point fly over your head?

Who said it wasn't, smart one?
Did the point fly over your head?

what was your point...? you said "if it wasn't religious"...that makes no sense since it was in fact religious.

care to explain what point supposedly flew over my head?

Obviously you didn’t read or comprehend the cited article:

But the judge said Abercrombie & Fitch offered no "credible evidence" that Khan's head scarf cost the company any sales.

"Abercrombie only offers unsubstantiated opinion testimony of its own employees to support its claim of undue hardship," Rogers said.

All that matters is what can be proven in court.

The issue had nothing to do with 'special rights,' of which there is no such thing.

If a place has a dress code and an employee refuses to follow it then said employee should be fired.

As an employer it is not my responsibility to cater to anyone's backwards religious beliefs.

It is your responsibility, however, to be able to provide objective, documented evidence in support of the firing in the event of such a lawsuit.

Forum List

Back