Judge declines to marry same sex on religious grounds

"Each justice or judge of the United States shall take the following oath or affirmation before performing the duties of his office: “I, XXX XXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as XXX under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”"
28 U.S. Code 453 - Oaths of justices and judges US Law LII Legal Information Institute

SSM is a law of the USA. Got a problem with it, resign.

Interesting. So now they are after judges also?

CALLS TO IMPEACH OHIO JUDGE WHO DECLINED TO MARRY SAME SEX COUPLE ON RELIGIOUS GROUNDS

The Left is already calling for the impeachment of Toledo Municipal Judge Allen McConnell who respectfully declined to marry a same-sex couple Monday.

“I declined to marry a non-traditional couple during my duties assignment,” he said per Reuters. “The declination was based upon my personal and Christian beliefs established over many years. I apologize to the couple for the delay they experienced and wish them the best.”

Calls to Impeach Ohio Judge Who Declined to Marry Same Sex Couple On Religious Grounds - Breitbart

There is a seperation between church and state. As a Judge, he is representing the state. If his personal beliefs get in the way of his official duties as a judge, he needs to step down

Judges are public employees.

What next? They don't like Jews so they refuse to marry a Jew on religious grounds?
Or maybe their Bible tells them they can't be marrying blacks and whites.
Or...maybe they should suck it up, do their job like any of the rest of us who serve the public have to and be thankful others can now enjoy the same benefits of marriage that he can.

Funny thing about "religious" grounds - there isn't a damn thing in the scriptures about same-sex marriage.
I'm sure there were some judges who refused to marry inter-racial couples. What happened to them?
The last one to refuse quit his job.
My husband informs me that laws vary from state to state but a judge is not required by law to marry anyone. A state authorizes who can perform weddings but does not require anyone to do it. He said this judge should opt out of all weddings until the Ohio Courts determine proper procedure

As well as eligibility. Soon the judge could be asked to perform a plural marriage, or an incestuous marriage.

Simply a mess
Incestuous marriages are legal in many states, in the case of cousins.

And that's the stepping stone to full legal status.

In those states a heterosexual couple must provide proof they are sterile or past the age of procreation.

A same sex couple would not have to supply the same, or wait till that age as it would be an undue burdon and an arbitrary reason of denial of the right.

The above being true, the hetro couple simply pleads equal protection and BANG. Done.

CALLS TO IMPEACH OHIO JUDGE WHO DECLINED TO MARRY SAME SEX COUPLE ON RELIGIOUS GROUNDS

The Left is already calling for the impeachment of Toledo Municipal Judge Allen McConnell who respectfully declined to marry a same-sex couple Monday.

“I declined to marry a non-traditional couple during my duties assignment,” he said per Reuters. “The declination was based upon my personal and Christian beliefs established over many years. I apologize to the couple for the delay they experienced and wish them the best.”

Calls to Impeach Ohio Judge Who Declined to Marry Same Sex Couple On Religious Grounds - Breitbart

There is a seperation between church and state. As a Judge, he is representing the state. If his personal beliefs get in the way of his official duties as a judge, he needs to step down
However there is also freedom to practice ones religion without the state dictating to them in regards to it.
So, which side of the argument works under the constitution.

personally I think Gay marriage is a great thing. Two people love each other and want to express that by making a commitment, great. Im personally not going to stand in their way. And, as an added bonus, Im thinking that STD rates are going to drop as gay becomes more mainstream. With less of a need to sneak around and have sex with multiple partners, the overall health of the country could be affected in a positive way.
all that being said, I agree with the judge, how long is it before they go after the Churches.

Good for the Judge!! ....... :thup:
Good for the judge for putting his personal views over the law and abdicating his responsibilities?

I don't care if anyone thinks same-sex marriage is wrong. I care about people thinking they can disregard the law without consequences.

What next? They don't like Jews so they refuse to marry a Jew on religious grounds?
Or...maybe they should suck it up, do their job like any of the rest of us who serve the public have to and be thankful others can now enjoy the same benefits of marriage that he can.

Funny thing about "religious" grounds - there isn't a damn thing in the scriptures about same-sex marriage.
I'm sure there were some judges who refused to marry inter-racial couples. What happened to them?
The last one to refuse quit his job.
My husband informs me that laws vary from state to state but a judge is not required by law to marry anyone. A state authorizes who can perform weddings but does not require anyone to do it. He said this judge should opt out of all weddings until the Ohio Courts determine proper procedure

As well as eligibility. Soon the judge could be asked to perform a plural marriage, or an incestuous marriage.

Simply a mess
Incestuous marriages are legal in many states, in the case of cousins.

And that's the stepping stone to full legal status.

In those states a heterosexual couple must provide proof they are sterile or past the age of procreation.

A same sex couple would not have to supply the same, or wait till that age as it would be an undue burdon and an arbitrary reason of denial of the right.

The above being true, the hetro couple simply pleads equal protection and BANG. Done.

Holy smokes, poppy. You need a vacation. Seriously.

Good for the judge for putting his personal views over the law and abdicating his responsibilities?

I don't care if anyone thinks same-sex marriage is wrong. I care about people thinking they can disregard the law without consequences.
How about the laws that state the government wont interfere with religion.
here is the problem, we have a situation that clearly both sides have specific legal rights under. The real issue comes in the fact that the judge is actually protected by the constitution, gay marriage, or any marriage for that matter is not.

here is the problem, we have a situation that clearly both sides have specific legal rights under. The real issue comes in the fact that the judge is actually protected by the constitution, gay marriage, or any marriage for that matter is not.

Your right to practice your religious beliefs ends when you violate another's civil rights. We are not a theocracy here.

The Bible says plenty about homosexuality. This is an interesting case, I'm curious how it will play out. They still got married by another judge so what's the big deal

Remind me what it says about same-sex marriage. Why don't you apply your bible to interracial marriage - after all, it was used to justify those laws too.

Jesus said marriage is between a man and a woman. Stop comparing straight marriage to homo marriage. That won't fly with
In our country, what Anthony Kennedy says has more weight than what Jesus said, because Jesus isn't a Supreme Court Judge.
What does Jesus have to do with our Judicial System?

You kind of have it backwards

Same sex marriage is covered under the 14th amendment to the Constitution
The judge is required by the Constitution to separate church and state

Civil Rights Wex Legal Dictionary Encyclopedia LII Legal Information Institute (and yes, this applies to the "gays" too) Your personal religious beliefs do NOT give you the right to violate another person's civil rights and liberties. Sorry but they do not.

The most important expansions of civil rights in the United States occurred as a result of the enactment of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery throughout the United States. See U.S. Const. amend. XIII. In response to the Thirteenth Amendment, various states enacted "black codes" that were intended to limit the civil rights of the newly free slaves. In 1868 the Fourteenth Amendment countered these "black codes" by stating that no state "shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the United States... [or] deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, [or] deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." See U.S. Const. amend. XIV. Section Five of the Fourteenth Amendment gave Congress the power by section five of the Fourteenth Amendment to pass any laws needed to enforce the Amendment.

During the reconstruction era that followed, Congress enacted numerous civil rights statutes. Many of these are still in force today and protect individuals from discrimination and from the deprivation of their civil rights. Section 1981 of Title 42 (Equal Rights Under the Law) protects individuals from discrimination based on race in making and enforcing contracts, participating in lawsuits, and giving evidence. See 42 U.S.C. § 1981. Other statutes, derived from acts of the reconstruction era, that protect against discrimination include: Civil Action for Deprivation of Rights (See 42 U.S.C. § 1983); Conspiracies to Interfere With Civil Rights (See 42 U.S.C. § 1985); Conspiracy Against Rights of Citizens (See18 U.S.C. § 241); Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law, (See 18 U.S.C. § 242); The Jurisdictional Statue for Civil Rights Cases (See 28 U.S.C. § 1443); and Peonage Abolished (See 42 U.S.C. § 1994).

Sorry but gay people have civil rights, just like ALL American citizens. Gay people work, pay taxes and contribute to the economy. What in the fuck world do you think you can dictate to them?

I wonder if the same judge is so religious when the pope says we need to do something about inequality and climate change. And is he still religious when the pope says weapons manufacturers are evil. Something tells me on those issues he's much less religious.

Seriously. I want to know what makes religious people think that they get to control the lives of other people or to deny them any of the rights and privileges that any other American citizen enjoys? What makes you people think you and your superstitions are SO important in the lives of strangers? Do you normally dictate to people who they can and cannot marry or what stores they can shop at? This is outrageous.

Should we subpoena Judge Moore on this one? There is no "office of private Trust" when exercising an office of public Trust under the authority of the several and United States.

The Judicature is not exempted from the First Amendment or its State equivalents in any office of Public Trust.

The Bible says plenty about homosexuality. This is an interesting case, I'm curious how it will play out. They still got married by another judge so what's the big deal
The bible was written by many men, over several centuries, changing ideologies to suit personal agendas. If God spoke and said write this down, it seems God would have gotten the part about the sun revolving around the earth correct since He created it. It amazes me how so many people blindly follow other men that are not God because they are afraid they will go to Hell if they don't.

How about the laws that state the government wont interfere with religion. .
That has never meant blanket exemption from laws, especially when other people are involved. It wasn't that long ago that Muslim taxi drivers lost their case and were required to carry passengers who had alcohol or dogs.

I believe Civics should be taught better in school.

Mandamus may be a command to do an administrative action or not to take a particular action, and it is supplemented by legal rights. In the American legal system it must be a judicially enforceable and legally protected right before one suffering a grievance can ask for a mandamus. A person can be said to be aggrieved only when he is denied a legal right by someone who has a legal duty to do something and abstains from doing it. Source: Mandamus - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

You kind of have it backwards

Same sex marriage is covered under the 14th amendment to the Constitution
The judge is required by the Constitution to separate church and state
No not really, same sex marriage had the 14th applied to it, the 14th does not specifically cover gay marriage. The first thing the courts had to do was to make the decision that same sex marriage was equal to hetero marriage. ( this ruling has implications far greater than just marriage by the way)
As far as the judge goes, the state is dictating his religion and stopping him from following it. That is specifically prohibited in the constitution.
Either way, someone is going to have their rights put aside in order to accomadate gay marriage.
and like I said, how long before churches are forced to comply? as far as how does gay marriage affect you, this is a good example.
At any rate, Its against my religion according to those in charge, however I would personally perform the marriage and be happy to do it for them.
but that is my personal choice.

Judges are allowed to discriminate on a case for personal reasons... why not the ability to discriminate regarding marrying someone? I should think the duties need to be reassigned is all. I have no problem with a judge, or priest, or anyone else for that matter not wanting to be the master of ceremony over something that they believe is a sin. That's fine.

Forum List

Back