Judge rules against Qualified Immunity for police officer who violated man's 4th Amendment rights.

On case you missed the judges decision, he gave him the kid.
End of story. The coppers were wrong and rightfully apologised. They are racists.

Why are they racists? They had no idea who was in the house because dispatch never relayed the description of the suspect.

The judge is in the wrong. Police do have that right, it's called reasonable suspicion. This guy didn't live there previously and criminals often target homes of the deceased. When my neighbor passed away from lung cancer somebody broke into her home and stole all the copper pipes.

In any case they had a testimony from a neighbor that a stranger was in the house that shouldn't be there.

Except they had the owner's permission to live there, so no, it wasn't a reasonable suspicion other than, "THere's a scary black man living next door!!!!"

Hope they take this cop for every fucking thing he has.

Right, and while they are knocking a real burglar would be sneaking out the other door. Maybe after they knocked for 20 minutes, he'd be home by then with all the jewelry, cash and guns he stole.

So what if he was? Funny thing, if someone broke into my house, there would be no cash, jewelry or guns lying around to steal. I would keep those things in a safe or somewhere safe.

You have to suppose with a story like this.

If I came home and found my house had been robbed, called the police, and they told me there were here while I was being robbed, I think I'd be pretty pissed about it.

You were here and you didn't arrest them, why?
Because we called whoever was in the house out and he didn't respond, so we just left!
You left after my neighbor called you out telling you there was somebody in my house that wasn't me?
Yeah, you know, we didn't want to violate his rights just in case they were allowed to be there!
So you didn't pursue the matter further until you knew for sure?
You betcha!

Well, they didn't have probable cause to go busting in, as you weren't there to tell them they did.

It was pretty clear the neighbor didn't know the owners well enough to know WHO was supposed to be there. Otherwise, she'd have called the owner before the cops.

Well, they didn't have probable cause to go busting in, as you weren't there to tell them they did.

It was pretty clear the neighbor didn't know the owners well enough to know WHO was supposed to be there. Otherwise, she'd have called the owner before the cops.

Read the OP. The owner recently passed away.

Except they had the owner's permission to live there, so no, it wasn't a reasonable suspicion other than, "THere's a scary black man living next door!!!!"

Hope they take this cop for every fucking thing he has.

So HTF are the police supposed to know the owner died and his son let this guy stay there? They didn't know if he was supposed to be there or not. That's why the police were called out.

So what if he was? Funny thing, if someone broke into my house, there would be no cash, jewelry or guns lying around to steal. I would keep those things in a safe or somewhere safe.

Most people don't have safes in their home. They don't live in a crime infested shithole like you do.

A neighbor called on a man sitting on the patio doing nothing.

Cops show up without a warrant and enter house with guns drawn based on information that a man was sitting on the patio doing nothing.

The only thing clear here ray, is your run to racism which is inline with the karen that called. If he was white, no phone call.
And you know that how?

It's already happening.

Last summer I had a one on one with our police chief. It was a city zoom meeting but I was the only one that showed up since it was rescheduled last minute.

When I asked the chief if there was a problem with money getting more officers, he told me they have money for five more, but they can't get anybody to apply. He said when he applied to be an officer in our city back in 1990, he was up against 950 other applicants for one opening. Today he said, when we advertise for a new officer, we're lucky to get 20 applicants. out of them, a good percentage won't be able to pass the exam, out of the ones that do, some of them fail the academy, and even if they pass the academy, many times they can't catch on to the job and we let them go.

It's not just our problem he added, this is a nationwide problem.

Or that your town is a slum and no one wants to work there.

So here's another myth to bust.

According to federal data, those worries are unfounded. Last year, as the overall U.S. economy shed 6% of workers, local police departments lost just under 1% of employees after a decade of steady expansion, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s about 4,000 people out of nearly half a million employees in municipal police departments and sheriff’s offices nationwide. State and federal law enforcement departments actually saw a slight increase in the number of employees. 1

Law enforcement’s employment numbers tend not to fluctuate dramatically. Policing is a secure job, according to Peter Moskos, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, which explains the relatively small increase in retirements and resignations over 2020. Police jobs are often last on the chopping block when cities are considering budget cuts. Pensions and relatively high pay make it appealing to stay. Many of the officers who retired in 2020 were probably going to retire in a couple of years anyway, says Moskos, who suspects very few police would quit outright. Morale may be low, but, in Moskos’s view, that’s always been the case.

Nobody broke anything. Police officers are allowed to search houses or cars if they have reasonable suspicion.

And had reasonable suspicion due to a 911 call from a neighbor

Wow... So imagine this, your dog shits on my lawn, and I call in a "suspicious character" at your house. That makes it okay for the cops to go busting into your house and mistreat you?

Does this sound "reasonable" to you. That you can be rousted in your own home because a total stranger doesn't think you should be there?

it's reasonable suspicion to enter a house where a potential crime is taking place.

There was no potential crime is taking place, there was no reason to think there was a crime is taking place.

Why is it always the same people that whine all day long about authoritarianism are also the ones that think police are demigods and can do whatever they please?

No there isn't, but the neighbor didn't call police because somebody was on the back deck, they called police because there was a stranger on the property that was not the owner.

Why was that any of her business? She obviously wasn't a good enough friend of the owner to know what was going on in her house.

1. I don't know why the occupants would file suit. Seems like a misunderstanding, and a cordial encounter...

2. What part of this young mans rights were violated? He was detained for less than 2 minutes....

Yeah, putting someone in cuffs because they are black, that sounds really "Cordial".

1645362191596.png

So HTF are the police supposed to know the owner died and his son let this guy stay there? They didn't know if he was supposed to be there or not. That's why the police were called out.

They could have asked nicely... you know, instead of just assuming the negro was breaking in.

Most people don't have safes in their home. They don't live in a crime infested shithole like you do.

I'm not the one who listens to the police scanners all night, puts cameras to keep an eye on the HUD neighbors, and strokes his gun all night.

That would be you.

Wow... So imagine this, your dog shits on my lawn, and I call in a "suspicious character" at your house. That makes it okay for the cops to go busting into your house and mistreat you?

Does this sound "reasonable" to you. That you can be rousted in your own home because a total stranger doesn't think you should be there?
You are making up stuff you know nothing about

because you were not at the house that night

Forum List

Back