Judge throws out Illinois village's assault weapons ban

Actually, to be classified as an assault weapon it must have the option to fire fully automatically. The semi-auto part of the definition was added later by people wanting to ban scary black rifles.

And whom made that classification definition? The Cops call theirs Assault Rifles. They use the LE6920 which is essentially an upscaled AR-15 model 750 short version. These are NOT full auto. In fact, using your definition, the M-16A-3 and 4 and the M-4 wouldn't qualify as an assault rifle because they only have a 3 shot burst which has proven to be totally worthless over the single pull setting.

I don't know where you people are getting your information from but you really do need to find a new source.

assault rifle | Definition, Examples, Facts, & History

From your own cite.

Because they are light and portable yet still able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000–1,600 feet (300–500 metres), assault rifles have

Then they show a picture of a AR type rifle that is supposed to be either a M-16 or M-4.

107582-004-E80F0AA2.jpg

Using that as a cite tells me that you know even less than the author of the article. The first thing that is wrong is the range. 500 meters is about 550 yards. Hate to break it to you but the 556 Nato Round just ain't got the power for that range nor the bullet weight. And as stubby as it is, well, physics gets in the way for a good aim point. It does start out with 300 meters. Yes, the 556 Nato can do that range if you are very, very calm and practiced. Okay, take your time, line up your shot, breath deeply, let out half your air and hold it then......wait, they are shooting at me, forget all that crap and just start shooting back as fast as you can and let the M-240, the M-2 and M-24 do the long shots.

The Author is no where near an authority. He's a writer who listens to people like you and presents it like it was a fact.

Each time the story is told, it will change a bit each time until some hack presents it as documented proof. Once you find the holes in his article that quickly the rest is suspect at best.

You left out the select fire feature.

The Author stated that it was a full auto fire weapon. Neither the M-4A-4 or the M-16A-4 which all previous models have been upgraded to those specs have no full auto features anymore. They have 3 settings. Safe, single and 3 shot burst. Take it from an old hand, you are better off using the single rather than the 3 shot burst. You will be on target more, waste less ammo and actually put more hits on the target lethaly. Your first shot will probably be on target but your 2 shot will be a bit off and your 3rd shot will be wide. And you have to ride it out for those 3 shots and bring your aim point back on center. Or you can fire almost as fast with a single trigger pull and be on target every time if you are experienced enough. Better to waste the ammo into the enemy than on the background, don't you think?

The author is making some of the same mistakes as the gunnutters in here are. And, again, what the devil is an Assault Rifle anyway? Is that the gun that walks up to you and threats to punch you in the face but stops short? I would think it would be better to call it a Battery Rifle since Assault is the threat while Battery is the act. Maybe we should ban all the assault rifles. They may be on the streets scaring the crap out of everyone by threatening everyone. Who knows, any assault rifle can become a battery rifle. But if all the Assault Rifle is doing is mouthing off there are no laws against that, are there?

I didnt mention automatic fire.
I said select fire.

Deerfield is full of idiots that type. About 5 or more years ago, the rest of the country learned that you can't call it an Assault Rifle and it is constitutional. The definition for Assault Rifle takes in quite a few conventional semi auto rifles as well as the AR. The ones that have stuck and been supported in court have all been worded, "AR-15 and various clones". No description necessary. Straight to the point and specific. The Morons made the same mistakes others did that go their laws bounced and they had to rewrite them and defend them in the courts again but the second time, they were successful. I wonder if they have rubber bumpers on their streets.

Actually, to be classified as an assault weapon it must have the option to fire fully automatically. The semi-auto part of the definition was added later by people wanting to ban scary black rifles.

And whom made that classification definition? The Cops call theirs Assault Rifles. They use the LE6920 which is essentially an upscaled AR-15 model 750 short version. These are NOT full auto. In fact, using your definition, the M-16A-3 and 4 and the M-4 wouldn't qualify as an assault rifle because they only have a 3 shot burst which has proven to be totally worthless over the single pull setting.

I don't know where you people are getting your information from but you really do need to find a new source.

From your own cite.

Because they are light and portable yet still able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000–1,600 feet (300–500 metres), assault rifles have

Then they show a picture of a AR type rifle that is supposed to be either a M-16 or M-4.

107582-004-E80F0AA2.jpg

Using that as a cite tells me that you know even less than the author of the article. The first thing that is wrong is the range. 500 meters is about 550 yards. Hate to break it to you but the 556 Nato Round just ain't got the power for that range nor the bullet weight. And as stubby as it is, well, physics gets in the way for a good aim point. It does start out with 300 meters. Yes, the 556 Nato can do that range if you are very, very calm and practiced. Okay, take your time, line up your shot, breath deeply, let out half your air and hold it then......wait, they are shooting at me, forget all that crap and just start shooting back as fast as you can and let the M-240, the M-2 and M-24 do the long shots.

The Author is no where near an authority. He's a writer who listens to people like you and presents it like it was a fact.

Each time the story is told, it will change a bit each time until some hack presents it as documented proof. Once you find the holes in his article that quickly the rest is suspect at best.

I left it out because it's not important since the common setting in combat will be single shot setting rather than the inaccurate and ammo wasteful 3 shot burst. My Johnson is big enough without needing to show off with the 3 shot burst setting.

From your own cite.

107582-004-E80F0AA2.jpg

The Author stated that it was a full auto fire weapon. Neither the M-4A-4 or the M-16A-4 which all previous models have been upgraded to those specs have no full auto features anymore. They have 3 settings. Safe, single and 3 shot burst. Take it from an old hand, you are better off using the single rather than the 3 shot burst. You will be on target more, waste less ammo and actually put more hits on the target lethaly. Your first shot will probably be on target but your 2 shot will be a bit off and your 3rd shot will be wide. And you have to ride it out for those 3 shots and bring your aim point back on center. Or you can fire almost as fast with a single trigger pull and be on target every time if you are experienced enough. Better to waste the ammo into the enemy than on the background, don't you think?

The author is making some of the same mistakes as the gunnutters in here are. And, again, what the devil is an Assault Rifle anyway? Is that the gun that walks up to you and threats to punch you in the face but stops short? I would think it would be better to call it a Battery Rifle since Assault is the threat while Battery is the act. Maybe we should ban all the assault rifles. They may be on the streets scaring the crap out of everyone by threatening everyone. Who knows, any assault rifle can become a battery rifle. But if all the Assault Rifle is doing is mouthing off there are no laws against that, are there?

I said select fire.

I know. And I commented on that. And I have said why the AR-15s like the Military Specs versions are exactly equal to the M-4 in a combat situation.

From your own cite.

107582-004-E80F0AA2.jpg

I said select fire.

I know. And I commented on that. And I have said why the AR-15s like the Military Specs versions are exactly equal to the M-4 in a combat situation.

The AR is not select fire.

From your own cite.

107582-004-E80F0AA2.jpg

I said select fire.

It is but it's only two settings. Safe and single. The M-4 has a third setting of 3 shot burst which is rarely used in combat as it wastes too much ammo and actually does a worse job than the single shot. So in a normal combat situation, the AR works as well as the M-4. And that is the point. You keep pointing out the difference but in combat, there IS no difference and there are some ARs that are used in combat. In fact, other than noticing that there isn't that 3rd setting which is rarely used and pretty worthless, you really can't tell the difference.

I said select fire.

It is but it's only two settings. Safe and single. The M-4 has a third setting of 3 shot burst which is rarely used in combat as it wastes too much ammo and actually does a worse job than the single shot. So in a normal combat situation, the AR works as well as the M-4. And that is the point. You keep pointing out the difference but in combat, there IS no difference and there are some ARs that are used in combat. In fact, other than noticing that there isn't that 3rd setting which is rarely used and pretty worthless, you really can't tell the difference.

How can you consider safe a fire position?

I said select fire.

It's probably the most important switch selection on the gun. Well, except for combat, that is. And if you are packing the M-240 or M-2 ammo then that is the setting you will have it on. No use tripping and shooting either yourself or one of your buddies. I can think of many times when the safe setting is the most important setting on the selector. It's a firing position called OFF!.

I said select fire.

It's probably the most important switch selection on the gun. Well, except for combat, that is. And if you are packing the M-240 or M-2 ammo then that is the setting you will have it on. No use tripping and shooting either yourself or one of your buddies. I can think of many times when the safe setting is the most important setting on the selector. It's a firing position called OFF!.

Safety is not a fire position....it's safety.

The Selector as 2 or 3 settings. Use them wisely. If you can't, pack a toaster that isn't plugged in.

The Selector as 2 or 3 settings. Use them wisely. If you can't, pack a toaster that isn't plugged in.

Toaster?

You have safe and fire on an AR.
You have three choices with an assault rifle. Either single and 3 round burst,or single and full auto and of course safe. Three round burst is the most popular these days because spray and pray sucks.
With three round burst in a 5.56 it's easy to stay on target because the recoil is minimal.

Toaster?

You have three choices with an assault rifle. Either single and 3 round burst,or single and full auto and of course safe. Three round burst is the most popular these days because spray and pray sucks.
With three round burst in a 5.56 it's easy to stay on target because the recoil is minimal.

On the M-16 and the M-4 they haven't had the full auto setting for a couple of decades since they went to the Mod 3 and 4 that is used today. The only way to get a M-16 full auto is to purchase one privately with either a FFL or an EFL license and have at least 30 grand burning a hole your pocket. To give you an idea, a company by the name of Capco did the mods on the original M-16A-2 for the AF and changed ALL of them to the -4 and the 3 shot burst. When they were done, the Army started shipping them theirs a group at a time until all of the -1s were upgraded to the -4s as well. I knew a number of people that worked on that line. Capco is now located in Mexico.

And anything you can do using your 3 shot burst, I can do with single shot. And I can do it more accurately and use less ammo. The winner is the one with ammo left over usually when all other things are equal.

Here is a piece of history for you. I shot my first full auto rifle and on the side, it was stamped "AR-15 Model 601). It lacked the rails of the M-16 Model 602 and had a triangle charging handle instead of a T handle. It was produced in 1964. Later on, the 601 got the rails from the M-16 (simple addon) along with the fire supressor and they added a stamp to it. It now read AR-15 Model 601 (M-16). They were retired out of the AF in 1992. You can buy one of those in excellent condition for about 3 grand if you have a FFL or EFL license. It's the one that started it all for the M-16, M-4 and AR-15. The AF originally bought 4000 of them, then ended up with a total of about 14,000 of them. Out side of the charging handle, they are identical to the M-16A-1. The reason for the descrepency of the name is that the AF didn't name everything they had by the M designator, the Army did. In reality, the M-16A-4 is a colt AR-15 Model 604. The Colt AR that you are familiar with is the Colt AR-15 Model 750 or the Colt LE6920. If you want a real piece of history, there are a few of the Colt AR-15 Model 601 (M-16)s out there for sale at about 3000 dollars. Just a addon thought. It costs almost exactly the same to manufacture a full blown fully automatic M-16 as it does a Colt LE6920 that anyone can special order. The parts almost all come from the same bins.

Toaster?

On the M-16 and the M-4 they haven't had the full auto setting for a couple of decades since they went to the Mod 3 and 4 that is used today. The only way to get a M-16 full auto is to purchase one privately with either a FFL or an EFL license and have at least 30 grand burning a hole your pocket. To give you an idea, a company by the name of Capco did the mods on the original M-16A-2 for the AF and changed ALL of them to the -4 and the 3 shot burst. When they were done, the Army started shipping them theirs a group at a time until all of the -1s were upgraded to the -4s as well. I knew a number of people that worked on that line. Capco is now located in Mexico.

And anything you can do using your 3 shot burst, I can do with single shot. And I can do it more accurately and use less ammo. The winner is the one with ammo left over usually when all other things are equal.

Here is a piece of history for you. I shot my first full auto rifle and on the side, it was stamped "AR-15 Model 601). It lacked the rails of the M-16 Model 602 and had a triangle charging handle instead of a T handle. It was produced in 1964. Later on, the 601 got the rails from the M-16 (simple addon) along with the fire supressor and they added a stamp to it. It now read AR-15 Model 601 (M-16). They were retired out of the AF in 1992. You can buy one of those in excellent condition for about 3 grand if you have a FFL or EFL license. It's the one that started it all for the M-16, M-4 and AR-15. The AF originally bought 4000 of them, then ended up with a total of about 14,000 of them. Out side of the charging handle, they are identical to the M-16A-1. The reason for the descrepency of the name is that the AF didn't name everything they had by the M designator, the Army did. In reality, the M-16A-4 is a colt AR-15 Model 604. The Colt AR that you are familiar with is the Colt AR-15 Model 750 or the Colt LE6920. If you want a real piece of history, there are a few of the Colt AR-15 Model 601 (M-16)s out there for sale at about 3000 dollars. Just a addon thought. It costs almost exactly the same to manufacture a full blown fully automatic M-16 as it does a Colt LE6920 that anyone can special order. The parts almost all come from the same bins.

I already know all that.
The A1 was taken out of service in 83 and was followed by the A2.
Bothe are considered an assault rifle. The AR15 is not.

Toaster?

I already know all that.

By the Enclipidia's definition the A-4 isn't an assault rifle either since it isn't a full auto and can't go out to 500 meters effectively. It appears that the old AR-10 would fill that bill with it's full auto and 308 ammo. But Stoner couldn't get any bites on that one so he scaled it down a bit, changed out the composite chrome lined barrel and introduced it as the Model 601 and sold it to small Asian Countries that fell in love with it. I guess the AR-10 was just too space age. To much, too soon.

Toaster?

I already know all that.

By the Enclipidia's definition the A-4 isn't an assault rifle either since it isn't a full auto and can't go out to 500 meters effectively. It appears that the old AR-10 would fill that bill with it's full auto and 308 ammo. But Stoner couldn't get any bites on that one so he scaled it down a bit, changed out the composite chrome lined barrel and introduced it as the Model 601 and sold it to small Asian Countries that fell in love with it. I guess the AR-10 was just too space age. To much, too soon.

They only need to be effective out to 300 yards.

Toaster?

I already know all that.

They only need to be effective out to 300 yards.

One of the reasons that the Army and Marines are looking at redoing the M-16 and M-4 to the 6.8SPC ammo is to actually constantly hit something at 300 to 400 yds. If you are exchanging shots at that range, you had better have a heavier slug. The little 223 or 556 works well under ideal conditions. But I only met those ideal conditions on a range or open country when no one was shooting at me. The M-16/M-4/AR derivatives work well at less than 200 yds when someone is shooting back. In a lightly jungled or forest situation, the little 556 drops to less than 100 yds effective. So you pump more rounds and go for attrition. And there is nothing out there better at pumping more rounds faster than an AR Derivative short of a fully auto machine gun or battle rifle.

Forum List

Back