Julio - the surprise.

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Well, my wife has been in Texas with a couple of her long-time female buddies at some sort of a knitting retreat they meet up at every year in mid-October. Before she left, she fixed me lots of goodies to eat that all I would have to do is pop into the microwave. She left me with some simple wifely instructions like "stay out of trouble, if you can." Well, for the most part I have. I've been out to eat three times, bought a new photo printer for my computer, and just today I obtained "Julio". Julio is a 10 week old Chihuahua and I figure he will fit in pretty well with the two house beagles and the 5 outdoor cats. I think my wife is going to be surprised at how well I have done in keeping out of trouble while she's been gone. I pick her up at the airport on Sunday evening so that leaves only tomorrow for fun. Sunday morning I will clean up the house a bit and shave. Julio is at the vet's right now getting worked over, shots, a bath, and whatever else he might need. I figure right now he has only cost me about $50.00 an ounce. Yep. The wife will be surprised.:lol:

It took me 10 minutes to recover from the 'knitting retreat'. That kind of thing scares the shit out of me.

Congrats on the puppy though. That's v cool.... even if it is a girly dog.

It took me 10 minutes to recover from the 'knitting retreat'. That kind of thing scares the shit out of me.

Congrats on the puppy though. That's v cool.... even if it is a girly dog.

The wife's been wanting one and hasn't had the courage to get one. She's a big Julio Iglesias fan so that's the name I hung on him.

Conhog rule - If it weighs less than 20 lbs full grown, it's not REALLY a dog. :D

Anything that poops needs to be discussed and mutually agreed upon beforehand before being added to the household.

On most days I would agree with you. We're no stranger to dogs here at my house. We used to have a professional kennel and bred and field trialed AKC beagles for 18 years. At one time we had as any as 45 full grown beagles that we worked with every day. After the wife had a bad auto accident 3 years ago, and some cardiac surgery on my part, we sold all the beagles (except for the two house beagles) and closed the kennel down. In this part of the woods we were pretty well-known for our fine-quality beagles. Julio will come as a surprise to the wife when she gets back from Texas on Sunday but a good one. She has been wanting to get a Chihuahua for several years now but for one reason or another hasn't done it. 99 out of 100 times I would say your sound advice would be very well to heed but in this case it's no real problem.

big-black-dog-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture2423-julio.jpg

Introducing Julio, the big surprise. I have to listen carefully to what he says because he barks in Spanish.

The wife is away at a knitter's retreat in Texas and will be back tonight. She called about an hour ago and was thrilled about Julio. She's been wanting a little guy like him for quite awhile. I sent her the picture of him and she's excited about getting home to get her hands on him. Just like the two house beagles, once the wife gets her hands on him, he will think I'm chopped liver and hang out with the wife at every opportunity. I can already see it coming...:lol:

The wife is away at a knitter's retreat in Texas and will be back tonight. She called about an hour ago and was thrilled about Julio. She's been wanting a little guy like him for quite awhile. I sent her the picture of him and she's excited about getting home to get her hands on him. Just like the two house beagles, once the wife gets her hands on him, he will think I'm chopped liver and hang out with the wife at every opportunity. I can already see it coming...:lol:

You're a good man, BBD.

big-black-dog-albums-some-of-big-black-dog-s-favorite-photos-picture2423-julio.jpg

Introducing Julio, the big surprise. I have to listen carefully to what he says because he barks in Spanish.

Is he full Chihuahua or part? He's a cutie!

You're fortunate that your wife is ok with you just picking up another dog while she was away . . . wish meh hubs would think the way your wife does on us getting another pooch.

Is he full Chihuahua or part? He's a cutie!

You're fortunate that your wife is ok with you just picking up another dog while she was away . . . wish meh hubs would think the way your wife does on us getting another pooch.

Although they said he was full Chihuahua, I suspect that he may be a Chihuauhua mix. It isn't all that important. He's getting used to the place and has begun to play with toys. The wife got her hands on him last night when she got back from Texas so it's back to me being chopped liver. I'm used to that. All of our critters gravitate to the wife and give me the cold shoulder whenever she is around. It's a different story if they are here alone with me. Then I'm an ok kind of guy. Forget it though if she's here. They all want their "mama"...

Congrats on the new pup BBD.

Whats one more anyway. Heck I have 4 and a horse. The more the merrier. LOL

Forum List

Back