Just Abolish The FCC

Bandwidth allocation is still an essential part of our national security, the article is wrong about that.

It's just another bunch of useless bureaucrats looking to grab power where they can.

You just provided a brilliant description of the entire federal government.....

"The idea that the State is capable of solving social problems is now viewed with great scepticism – which foretells a coming change. As soon as scepticism is applied to the State, the State falls, since it fails at everything except increasing its power, and so can only survive on propaganda, which relies on unquestioning faith" -- Stefan Molyneux

Originally The Federal Communications Comission was established PRIMARILY to bring order out of chaos. There were countless unlicensed stations operating on random frequencies "stepping all over each other" - making it difficult, in metropolitan areas, to successfully listen to any one for more than a few minutes at a time. Frequency stability was an issue and listeners sometimes had to constantly retune as the station wandered "up and down the dial".

There was a huge task at hand to work out spacings between stations on the same frequency; power levels according to service areas and assignment of call signs.

Once that was done mission creep set in and politics got involved.

Every now and then technical rules were changed as things like directional patterns became possible and equipment improved to the point where frequency had to be monitored less and less frequently with some expectation that it would stay where it belonged. In the beginning a skilled operator had to be right at each transmitter constantly tinkering with it to keep power levels within limits and hold proper frequency. In time equipment became sufficiently stable that less skilled operators could do the monitoring and minor adjustment so a lot of "engineers" got put out of work. With today's equipment most stations are able to operate under automated control, completely unattended for long intervals. A good thing from the cost perspective but hellish if there's a local emergency and nobody to get the word out.

Keeping some sort of technical agency really is, I believe, essential and licensing to keep coverage areas in order, avoiding interference. But to meddle in politics? Isn't that why we have a Congress?

But government exists to breed so don't expect anything rational.

Bandwidth allocation is still an essential part of our national security, the article is wrong about that.

Of course since whenever my private ISP doesn't "allocate" sufficient "bandwidth" I feel completely insecure, nothing personal but do you even think about the fact that you can actually not only survive but PROSPER without the state making every decision for you (for our own "safety" of course) ? I know it's scary but the serfs of Middle Ages Europe were able to do it and I am confident that you have the wherewithal to pull it off too.

"Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind. " -- The Matrix

Take the RED PILL...

I completely agree. I was just thinking this myself the other day. There is absolutely no reason why we need the FCC. It's just another bunch of useless bureaucrats looking to grab power where they can.

With Its Mission Gone And Its Record Of Mischief, It's Time To Shut Down The FCC - Investors.com

I believe it's a public resource, like rivers or national parks or the air we breathe. And no matter how fucked up you think the FCC is I think some entity has to look after the public's interest. It's not surprising that Investors.com favors granting total control to the "free market". I'm sure they would favor granting right-to-breathe to the highest bidder. And no matter how fucked up government is I still think Lincoln got it right, "government of the people, by the people, for the people." We the people have to maintain our ownership rights to the most basic needs "of the people." And that includes the electro-magnetic spectrum.

I believe it's a public resource, like rivers or national parks or the air we breathe. And no matter how fucked up you think the FCC is I think some entity has to look after the public's interest. It's not surprising that Investors.com favors granting total control to the "free market". I'm sure they would favor granting right-to-breathe to the highest bidder. And no matter how fucked up government is I still think Lincoln got it right, "government of the people, by the people, for the people." We the people have to maintain our ownership rights to the most basic needs "of the people." And that includes the electro-magnetic spectrum.

Yeah who needs voluntary transactions between willing parties when you can have an infallible bureaucrat dictating to both sides what they must do at the point of a gub'mint gun .. whether they like it or not.

What would you do without the state telling you what to do, what to think, what to believe? it might get difficult to actually start THINKING FOR YOURSELF.

We can do better...TAKE THE RED PILL. :razz:

Originally The Federal Communications Comission was established PRIMARILY to bring order out of chaos. There were countless unlicensed stations operating on random frequencies "stepping all over each other" - making it difficult, in metropolitan areas, to successfully listen to any one for more than a few minutes at a time. Frequency stability was an issue and listeners sometimes had to constantly retune as the station wandered "up and down the dial".

There was a huge task at hand to work out spacings between stations on the same frequency; power levels according to service areas and assignment of call signs. .

That's all true. However, I believe that issue would have been solved through a combination of market forces and technological advancements. Government didn't have to get involved, they chose to.

I completely agree. I was just thinking this myself the other day. There is absolutely no reason why we need the FCC. It's just another bunch of useless bureaucrats looking to grab power where they can.

True, but of course, there is that enumerated power in the Constitution that requires the federal government to regulate speech and communication.

Oh wait, no there isn't.

True, but of course, there is that enumerated power in the Constitution that requires the federal government to regulate speech and communication.

Oh wait, no there isn't.

Most of the advances occurred after the constitution was written. I don't think I want some money hungry corporation running things without any regulations.

Oh yeah you live in the past.

With Its Mission Gone And Its Record Of Mischief, It's Time To Shut Down The FCC - Investors.com

I believe it's a public resource, like rivers or national parks or the air we breathe.

Ah yes, state run media. Excellent comrade, you are a credit to the motherland!

:cuckoo:

If you believe we shouldn't have a government...May I suggest Haiti or Somalia?

Someone needs a dictionary.

Hey genius, a limited government republic is NOT anarchy.

Thus endith the lesson for today...:eusa_eh:

Oh wait, no there isn't.

Most of the advances occurred after the constitution was written.

None of which require government meddling outside the enumerated powers.

But if you feel such is necessary, you're free to advocate a Constitutional amendment.

Now which amendment allows regulation of speech and communication???

Oh that's right, there isn't one.

I don't think I want some money hungry corporation running things without any regulations.

Right, cuz consumer choice is bad. We should let central planners run things. They ALWAYS get it right...:cuckoo:

Oh yeah you live in the past.

You advocate returning to the days of government that is not limited to certain specified powers, but I'M the one that lives in the past? You go with that comrade.

If you believe we shouldn't have a government...May I suggest Haiti or Somalia?

LOL, so you're alternative to statism is FAILED STATISM? I'll go out on a limb and assume you were issued a brain at birth how about you try using it for something other than parroting statist apologias bloggers. Barring that one might respond that if you're so in love with gub'mint dictating your every thought may I suggest moving to NORTH KOREA, you'll love it, it's an automaton's paradise, you can continue to not think for yourself in perpetuity.

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." -- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Everything Government does starts with this excuse...too bad you and too many other buy into it.

Forum List

Back