Just how far behind the curve can we put our children?

The Irish Ram

LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough
Apr 10, 2011
diagonally parked in a parallel universe
So math is out for our children, but diversity classes are in.
Wayne State drops math as general ed requirement
David Jesse, Detroit Free Press 4:45 p.m. EDT June 12, 2016
The move means students won't have to take math class to graduate unless their major requires it
635844739880781441-WSU-102708-PB-107.jp-1-1-4K9D2VTT-L532927184.JPG
Buy Photo

(Photo: Patricia Beck, Detroit Free Press)

Wayne State University has subtracted mathematics from the list of classes all students must take to graduate.

The move means students won't have to take math class to graduate unless their major requires it
Buy Photo

Wayne State University has subtracted mathematics from the list of classes all students must take to graduate.

I have to say, my sister received her jurisprudence of law and an MA in History without any math after her junior year in high school. This is actually a step back to an older model.

That's a great idea.

Imagine all those college educated waiters and waitresses needing someone to total up the bill for them.

the lawyers and other professionals that will have to hire an accountant to balance their checkbooks.

homemakers needing someone to set up the family budget

(satire)

Buy Photo

'Not far enough' says every Liberal. A friend of mine actually lost his teaching job because the places he worked wanted to 'diversify' their staff. He's a white male.

Most advanced math really is useless unless the career you choose to go into requires it. Remember all the stuff you learned in school your teacher assured you you would use in the real world? Most of it was horseshit.

Most advanced math really is useless unless the career you choose to go into requires it. Remember all the stuff you learned in school your teacher assured you you would use in the real world? Most of it was horseshit.
And the class they're apparently replacing it with is somehow more useful? To be fair, neither has applications in your lifetime, but at least the math class teaches you to think outside the box.

The articles I read said the 1 yr general math course required at this college was already taught in high school, and the college felt it should be up to the degree you choose and for their curriculum to say how many years of Math are required,

so as example an engineering degree would still require 4 yrs of math while a Journalism degree may require 0 or 1 or 2 yrs of math...

and also in 2018 they will review it and make changes if necessary.

And the class they're apparently replacing it with is somehow more useful? To be fair, neither has applications in your lifetime, but at least the math class teaches you to think outside the box.

I didn't read the article so I'm not sure what they want to replace it with. I was just making the point that a lot of what you learn in school after a certain point is useless. By the 3rd grade I had learned basic math, and could read at a college reading level. I've used almost nothing I learned afterwards.

I can think of a whole lot of classes that would have made more sense to my career than the 2 caclulus classes I took as an undergrad. Want to know when the last time was I had to find the Sin or Cosine of anything was? Hell I don't even know what those are anymore.

Journalists these days are hindered by having any knowledge of math.

How can they be expected to accept politicians budget figures if they can even add?

If your job requires it math is very important. A journalist with little math knowledge shouldn't be writing articles on budget figures in the first place.

I didn't read the article so I'm not sure what they want to replace it with. I was just making the point that a lot of what you learn in school after a certain point is useless. By the 3rd grade I had learned basic math, and could read at a college reading level. I've used almost nothing I learned afterwards.
I misunderstood, they're just removing it as a general.

Forum List

Back